86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is the 3.0L a good high mileage engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the 3.0L a good high mileage engine?

I found a 95 4runner with 140,000 miles on it. Its the 3.0L. Is that a strong engine? Is it as strong as the 3.4 in terms of putting alot of miles on it?

Last edited by zach1288; 09-24-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow....another can'o worms question.

The averages don't lean that way. Run a search on the 3.0 using "3.0" or "3vze" as keywords. LOTS of people tend to have headgasket issues with this motor. On the other hand, there are folks who have been satisfied with very little issues. It's really a crap shoot.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:35 AM

IMO I have had an 89 4x4 w/ 3.0 and currently have a 94 w/ 3.0 and love them both. The 3.0 has more get up and go power than the 22r, and seems to me to last every bit as long....so long as you keep up the maintenance on them. The 90-94 had head gasket problems, and that's what I am dealing with now. I just had my head gaskets replaced last week, and had the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat done at the same time. Cost me $998.08 at a local shop. The last time this was done was in 1998 by the stealership for a factory recall on the gaskets.

That being said, I am at 200k and it still doesn't smoke, has plenty of power, and runs like it is supposed to. I am preparing for a swap to the 4.3L Chevy motor just for the power and torque. I pull a trailer quite often with two big sized ATV's and it does o.k. After I put the lift kit on it, and swap from 31's to 33's I don't imagine that will be the case though. Personal preference, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a Yoter with the 3vze motor. I think you'll be happy as long as you know for sure when the last service (timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and possibly head gaskets) was done. Every engine is going to have problems eventually, but Yoters have them less often!

BTW: I drove to Lawrenceville, GA from B'ham, AL to buy my 94 with 180K on it! Got it for $5800. You just don't find 89-94 4x4 Xtra Cab V6 Yoters in AL for sale that often. I had been looking for about 18 months. They were either trashed, or way more than what I paid in GA.

Last edited by Gator; 09-24-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM

Well i can get this 4runner for 3200 dollars its a 5 speed. How much would it cost to get the hg's changed? What else should i look for on this 4runner? Any other problems i could look for?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:51 AM

Run a search on "headgasket recall". Toyota may have already changed them during their service campaign. You'll need the VIN number from the vehicle to find out. Then again, you might just ask the seller if they know.

Have you driven the vehicle or listened to how it runs, yet?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Run a search on "headgasket recall". Toyota may have already changed them during their service campaign. You'll need the VIN number from the vehicle to find out. Then again, you might just ask the seller if they know.

Have you driven the vehicle or listened to how it runs, yet?
No i am going to drive it today.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 AM

Good! Have you a friend that is familiar with vehicles....or are you yourself?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Good! Have you a friend that is familiar with vehicles....or are you yourself?
I am familiar with vehicles, i used to build and wheel jeeps.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM

ive had 2 3.0Ls and they were good engines. i had very little issues since i kept up with maintenance. be sure to watch the oil; one of mine would burn up some oil when running high rpm highway trips from charlotte to boone. other than that, they were a reliable toyota engine. keep in mind, with an engine as old as the 3.0L youre looking AT BEST ~15 city/17 hi. the 5 speed with either help or hurt those numbers depending on your driving. good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zach1288
Well i can get this 4runner for 3200 dollars its a 5 speed. How much would it cost to get the hg's changed? What else should i look for on this 4runner? Any other problems i could look for?
first off 3200 may be a bit high try to get it down a bit and as said before ask about the head gasket timing belt tensioner and water pump. I know that toyota here is running a special and asking 1000 with all parts and labor but you can find someone to do it a lot cheaper. As for is it a long running high mileage motor well I have 218,000 and still running great. I just did my timing belt water pump tensioner belts and pullys myself it did take about 4 hours and cost was 125 plus 30 for belts but I got the parts from a aftermarket seller. Also did the 02 and cat but i think it just says regular mantaince will keep it running for a long time.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by zach1288
I am familiar with vehicles, i used to build and wheel jeeps.
Ooooo.....even better.

Okay, if it's running good look for the obvious signs of headgasket problems: oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, low compression, poor running. Then, consider having a leakdown test run and/or compression test run. If all looks good, then great. It sounds like a good deal. I'd try and get the person down a little lower, though.

Just do some research on the 3.0 first so you know what you're getting into (possibly) and what others have dealt with. It should only take you about half a day to get informed. And this forum should have any info you need. I would say more about it, but frankly the topic has been covered so many times already it's become redundant....a long time ago.

I will say other than the little HG issue it is a decent motor, but nothing special. Not a lot of power or good gas mileage without some modification.

Last edited by thook; 09-24-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 AM

I made 300K with my 89 V6 4x4. The only reason I got rid of it was that I did not feel that it was cost effective to have the HG redone for the 2nd time. I had the HG replaced at 175K.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have over 190,000 miles on mine and with only the factory headgasket recall done at 60,000 miles (not because the HG blew but becuase the recall was done) and I'd have to say that as long as you're on top of maintenance, this is an excellent high mileage engine. Keep the parts as stock as possible as far as replaceable type stuff goes (eg cap/rotor, spark plugs, oil filters, coolant, etc.) and you should be able to get at least 200,000 miles out of 'er.

Hey thook - I take serious issue with your "lots of people tend to have HG issues with this motor." Sure, people have headgaskets go here and there, but you have just made a typical theorist, non-3vze owner type of comment, much like I can talk about the "lots of people" who have had timing chain issues on a 22R/RE or the people who have also had their head gaskets go on their 22 R/RE's as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM

I love worms....

I can understand why you would take serious issue, but there's really no need to. It's nothing personal against you or even this particular engine. And my God, man...it's just a motor. No reason to wrap your identity around it.(I've tried it...it's not really all that fun) And I never once said it was a bad motor. In fact, contrary to your assumption, I own one. So there...nyah.

Look...this is not the only forum where people relate their experiences with "the 3.0" (funny how non-sentient objects take on a life)) or even the 22RE. I've read all over the internet for the past several years about both, and I can honestly say more people would consider the 22RE less problematic in relation to the same given issues. (You'll notice, there never was a headgasket recall on the 22RE) All I was trying to relay to the original poster was to be aware....that's all. If one becomes aware, then one can deal better with a situation. Obviously, you are one of the folks I mentioned that have been satisfied. Good for you. I myself am fairly satisfied. I've never had the famous headgasket issue with this motor. Hurray! I do wish there were better things about it, but like I said...it is a decent motor.

Obviously, you are an intelligent man. I read a lot of your posts with interest..."mod'd 3.0 vs. 3.4 swap" comes to mind. It's given me something to seriously think about before spending a considerable amount of money at some future point. However, would you consider in the future... before making lump assumptions about me (someone you nothing about).... asking me beforehand "Gee guy, how did you come to that conclusion?". I have usually have good reasons.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not denying that the head gasket is a potential weakness in this engine, but there are so many ways to avoid having another head gasket go or at least minimize it's potential to go. For example, how many of the guys complaining that their head gasket went "again," did their first head gasket properly? Or hard it done by a tech who knows how to do it properly? or used substandard aftermarket parts to do it? HOw many skimped on something that came back to bite them in the arse, and then they turn around and start bitching about the 3vze has HG "problems." How many guys here have undertaken questionable, poorly thought out, modifications that influence the engine for the worse, and then it causes the HG to go? how many, have let their cooling system go for a crap, or neglected their rigs, or bought a used rig that wasn't maintained very well, and then the HG goes and suddenly it's a bad motor? And how many guys will rant and rave about one guy who has his HG go for some of the above reasons, and then amplify it on a discussion board that sees thousands of views per day?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Exactly. So, all I was saying to the man was "be aware"....."do some reading". And, NOTICE!!!...I never said it was a bad motor.

Do you really want to debate this? I don't.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

I've got 130k on my '95 no problems as of yet, I have babied it since I bought it with 92k miles, I'm not sure about the HG on it I know the recall didn't involve mine or was done, I ran the VIN and Toyota said that it didn't need to be done. Otherwise it is a bit sluggish compared to other Toyota engines but its all what you like. I like the 2nd gen body style myself. I do get some decent low end power when I need it. I have friends who have owned 3 or 4 different v6 Trucks/4runners and have had no complaints.

That being said there is another recall to look into. See the
service campaign sticky. It involves the steering rod relay and tie rod ends etc. Read some threads about this some dealerships will do it all and throw in an alignment as well. I'd use the threads where people got the most work done for free as some negotiation leverage for this recall and make them fix it all for free if you can.
Otherwise I love my 2nd gen and maybe when the engine and/or tranny goes bye bye, then I will consider an engine swap/dual cases/etc.
Ahh so many mods to do so many mods.
Some other small power enhancers could be to do the CAI or ISR mods w/K&N stock(you can do a deckplate or something but I do a lot of mud/water crossing), upgrade to a highflow exhaust(I went 2.5" w/a magnaflow Cat and Flowmaster 40 for the "ricer" sound).

This site has a wealth of information about stuff. Then if its 4wd wheel the heck out of it stock until you break a bunch of stuff and depending on your style of driving you may want to consider simple lifts/SAS/other doodads(the CV's do have a habit of breaking easily too but I broke several before I did a SAS but I wheel/drive my Rig hard). If its not 4wd I would say keep looking until you do a find a 4wd model. Oh on a side note I would stay away from bolt on kits cause I've and several others have had issues with these (my superlift broke and ripped a hole in my rear housing as well as the front brackets broke off).

Welcome to world of Toyota, you won't go back to Jeep.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:22 AM

I can only go by my experience, and I have had a ton of trouble with my 3.0, but it is because whoever had the vehicle before me didn't take good care of it. It has been nickel and diming me, but it runs pretty strong. So far in the last year I have replaced, the timing belt & water pump, the fake water pump, the fuel filter, plugs dist. cap, spark plug wires, air filter, a heater hose behind the intake plenum (what a pain), other assorted hoses connected to the plenum, all the belts replaced when the timing belt was done, and I am currently experiencing a weird fuel leak problem, and I have a slow oil leak (I think from the rear main seal) and I probably need a valve adjustment and a trans flush, but oddly enough, I love the truck and wouldn't think of getting rid of it, just wish I got better than 200 miles to the tankful.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm almost 198K, having the recall done 100K miles ago. Sure the head gaskets could be considered a potential weakness, but i like the engine. I take care of her...and she takes care of me!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM

I've got 270K miles on my 3VZE, bought it 260K a year ago. Previous owner was an engineer, so he was pretty good about maintenance.

Although, I do plan to pull the engine this winter and refresh everything, have the heads done and pop in Weasy's cams.

Quick Reply: Is the 3.0L a good high mileage engine?