86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0L Engine Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0L Engine Head Gasket

Guys, but has anyone ever gotten good mileage out of a repaired head gasket from the 3.0L motor?

I recently purchased an 89' with the 3.0L motor and I'm looking to do the head gasket, valves, knock sensor wire and possibly the engine gasket. From what I've been reading all of these things could go wrong and should be addressed. If you think of keeping it.

Think it might be worth it? Don't know if the 3.0L motor is really worth all this repairs or if the motor will still be troublesome just by design alone.

Thanks in advance.

89xcab
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM

not really sure what you are asking. is there reason to replace the head gasket? this gasket isn't necessarily one of those that you replace for preventative measures.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM

If one follows the proper procedures (replaces head bolts, cleans mating surfaces, and uses a good quality gasket) the replaced head gasket will last a very long time.

I know of no Toyota engine that is troublesome by design. However, the 8RC/18RC did have a few things that could have been designed better.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have repaired and overhauled a number of early model 3.0's. As an engineer, I have to say that cylinder #6 is prone to heat problems by design. As for your motor, depends on the mileage and condition will determine your outcome and longevity after the repairs. If you pull the heads and there is more than a fingernail of ridge at the top of each cylinder, chances are you may encounter oil consumption after the head job. Toyota does have robust designs and uses good parts. If the oil gets diluted with antifreeze and you drive it that way for an extended period of time, the bearings will dissolve from friction and ultimately the loose metal parts will trash the cylinder walls. The engine is a real bitch to work on. Take lots of photos during disassembly. I think there is a new composite metal head gasket that replaced the old gasket design. New head bolts and a new oil pump are a must. I would ditch the cast iron manifolds in favor of stainless headers. Get a good valve job done on the heads and have the shop set the valve clearances. New timing belt, new water pump. May want to get the injectors serviced by Dr. Injector or whomever. Injectors die suddenly and often a slow death. Be very careful about reinstalling all those vacuum and fuel return lines. Mark them all during tear down.

My $0.02
Old 06-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Blurr. Sorry I was reffering to the SSC V06 Campaign issue. You know the one that talks about head gasket failure for the 3.0L made from 1988-1995 for trucks and 4runners.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...sb/results.cfm

Well, I'm just finding out about it now and may be feeling a little out of luck after purchasing the truck. But from reading a few post on the internet I think it may turn out okay. As long as I get the right type of head gasket and so forth. Some guys think it's a good idea to fix/change a few other things while changing the gasket (valve adjustments, knock sensor wire etc.)

Just wanted some 2 cents on this issue and although I haven't had a gasket failure.....yet. I was thinking of fixing it now and not have to worry about it for many more miles.

Thanks

89excab
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM

The 1988-1989 3VZ-E didn't have a problem with the head gasket. Toyota temporarily added them just in case. If the head gasket is bad, then fix it correctly. If not, then leave it alone. The head gasket on my 1989 3.0 lasted over 200,000 miles. The only reason I have a rebuilt engine in it now is that my brother-in-law didn't seem to grasp the importance of having the proper quantity of motor oil.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 AM

JackKnife,

I really aprreciate it. Not to say that I question your reply, but I really do hope you're right. Guess I'll run it til it breaks. I thought I would check with the local Toyota dealership to see if they would still honor to fix these types of work (probably not), no need to now.

Have a good one guys. As I get more into my recently bought truck I'm sure I'll be asking for more info. Thanks a lot. Have a good weekend.

89excab