86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 Cams

Hey everyone I'm doing a HG replacement on my 3.0 and while I was tearing things down I noticed one of my cams was messed up. While doing research a few months back on the HG, I came across a thread on here that talked about performance cams and how they help keep the engine running a little cooler which will help with the HG issue. I'm looking to get performance cams only because my old ones are busted and they are supposed to help. I could care less about the performance.

With that in mind, please keep the 3.4 swap suggestions to yourself. I've searched through YT already trying to find my solution and have noticed you guys are notorious for that. Yes I know of the 3.4 swap and yes I know of the benefits. No I cannot do that swap currently and don't want to hear about it. I just want to fix my old 3.slo. Sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk, just don't care to hear about it currently. I get plenty of that from the TW 4runner guys!

Anyways, does anyone know of any company that produces these 3.0 performance cams? Would rather spend a few extra bucks and get a little extra performance than get some OEM's. Thanks for any help!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Just Remember it you replace a cam you need to replace valve springs.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:03 PM

You could look into posts by weasy2k. He worked with colt cams here in BC to develop a re-grind of your origional cams. Weasy2k is long gone but colt cams is still around and will grind you a set in between runs of his multiple order cams.

I have a set and have had no issues with them. I couldn't tell you how much I gained from them because I did everything all at once.

Other options might be LCE and engnbldr. Most discriminate against the 3vze but have a few parts on hand for them.

Jason
Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
DOA makes 3.0 cams. But pricey if you cant send in a core.

http://doaracingengines.com/6-cylind.../v6-camshafts/

Just make it stock (unless you can do headers) , use quality parts, keep it cool with regular maintenance and the 3.0 will treat you well.

Could check LCE and engnbldr

Last edited by rattlewagon; 05-29-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:30 AM

Thanks Superstud, I actually did not know that but will be sure to get some.

I don't believe my cams can be re-grinded because the right one has a few chunks missing

I did contact Colt Cams already and they did not give me a price estimate so I'll need to contact them again. DOA I read on a few other threads to stay away from them. Not sure why? Will need to do more research on them and contact them to see if my cams are too damaged.

I noticed both companies talked about "shims". Not entirely sure what those are or where to get them. I'm pretty new to taking apart engines so certain things like that escape me.

Thanks again guys for all the positive input. It's very appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 3.0 Cams-image.jpg  
Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have one hanging in the garage which has the identical chunk missing, same place/area, passenger side cam. Noticed it when doing HG's a few years back. On mine there was also another chunk which had some nice cracks, but had not broken off yet. Would be nice to know what causes it. Bought some new stock cams just to be on the safe side.

Cheers
Andy
Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Mine has the same chunk missing on the other side. I agree that it would be nice to know, would not want this happening to any upgraded cams if I get any
Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 PM

Colt cams re-grinds your stock cams so the profile of the lobe is different but also ends up a little lower because of the material being removed. These "shims" are included to go under your stock valve shims to raise everything back into spec. I didn't use these since I was doing a valve job at the same time.

I believe the crack on your camshaft is caused by not following the proper sequence when removing them. If the bearing caps aren't removed properly the valve springs can cause the cam to bind up and crack.

Jason