Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2TR 4Runner 94 swap

Old 10-29-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2TR 4Runner 94 swap

Hi.
Recently this year bought a 94 4Runner, with a rebuild 3VZ, i knew it was going to be a matter of time to change that engine, it came rather early than expected. Anyway, while looking for a 5VZ found a 2TR-FE with a manual transmision for about $275 bucks. So, it begins.
My plan is the following:
-Check for any obvious damage, clean it, etc
-If the engine is viable, buy a complete timing kit
-buy ECU
-see what else comes up.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this attempt of a swap.

Regards.It has a nick on the block a a broken bracket
Fan clutch is gone.

Closer look at the fab clutchx
Yeah, I need to buy the 4 coils.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face

Best of Luck !!

I guess you have your reasons .

Should be very interesting
Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet!!!! That bell housing should allow you to bolt up a W56 series transmission. You will have a couple option for motor mounting. If my research was correct it mounts same as the 3RZ so you can buy bolt in mounts or cut, trim, and reeled your current mounts/brackets. I think wiring will be your biggest challenge will be wiring. I havenít seen any PNP harnesses but maybe ORD or toysolutions can help. Of course you can get wiring harnesses from donor vehicle and FSMs for both years and make your own. Iím really interested in this swap so please post progress... thanks!!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg View Post
Sweet!!!! That bell housing should allow you to bolt up a W56 series transmission. You will have a couple option for motor mounting. If my research was correct it mounts same as the 3RZ so you can buy bolt in mounts or cut, trim, and reeled your current mounts/brackets. I think wiring will be your biggest challenge will be wiring. I havenít seen any PNP harnesses but maybe ORD or toysolutions can help. Of course you can get wiring harnesses from donor vehicle and FSMs for both years and make your own. Iím really interested in this swap so please post progress... thanks!!
I'm going with the manual transmission, I need to look further into the motor mounts, since I really don't have a clue if the 3VZ or the 3RZ mounts should work. About the harness, it came with the harness, sans ECM. What should I be looking for regarding the whole wiring?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:11 PM

UPDATE. Fan clutch is busted. I think the donor vehicle was involved in a rollover or some accident.
Yup, lot of rust. Had to come to a halt trying to separate the engine from the transmission. Some bolts are really rusted, they are being soaked in a penetrating solution.
Yup, engine is stuck. It doesn't turn.
It's as bad as it looks? 2 or 3 lobules from that cam have light rust. Hope it doesn't affect the function.
On the other hand, chain and sprockets look clean.
Plastic cover has a hole, i'm thinking that some engineering with plastic or metal, jb weld and 4 screws with pressure washers and nut would do the job.
Almost striped and a whole more to come. After separating the engine from the transmission, a quick trip to the shop will tell us the damage.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 AM

Donít think the manual tranny from the 3.0 will bolt up but the 22re tranny will using bell housing from 3tr. Also letís you run gear driven transfer case instead of chain driven. Iím not sure if 3.0 motor mounts are in same location as 22re knowing Toyota they probably are.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg View Post
Donít think the manual tranny from the 3.0 will bolt up but the 22re tranny will using bell housing from 3tr. Also letís you run gear driven transfer case instead of chain driven. Iím not sure if 3.0 motor mounts are in same location as 22re knowing Toyota they probably are.
O.o 22re????

3VZE and 22RE have use the same manual transmission. I'm sticking with the manual transmission that is attached to the engine. I'll look further into making it 4x4, maybe i'll start with a simple IFS setup.
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by fuel383 View Post
O.o 22re????

3VZE and 22RE have use the same manual transmission. I'm sticking with the manual transmission that is attached to the engine. I'll look further into making it 4x4, maybe i'll start with a simple IFS setup.
Thanks for your input.
no later 22re uses a W series tranny except the turbo. The 3vz uses an R series tranny. Toyota made life simple W series was small bolt pattern from tranny to bellhousing and R series was large bolt pattern from tranny to bellhousing. The 22ret used the R series tranny but had a bellhousing that allowed large bolt pattern tranny to bolt to 22re motor.

ooh brain fart, I assumed you were 4wd if your 2wd not a big deal use tranny that came with motor.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:33 PM

Taking apart the 2TR, gunna need a good clean.
some minor repairs, new gaskets and bronze plugs.
2TR transmission bell with R150 transmission, what do you know? They actually fit!
Good ol' cleanin' to transmission too.
New gasket here.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 PM

If anyone has done this swap, any advice regarding the engine mounts would be of great help.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey man. I'll attach a link to my thread that may cover a little of the information your missing. Prob should've posted it under a more general thread to get some more exposure, but whatever. Hopefully you're still trying to tackle it. It's awesome to drive!!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161/completed-2tr-fe-87-22re-4runner-306336/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: