Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd Gen. Mirror Disassembly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd Gen. Mirror Disassembly?

I would like to mount 2 small LED lights on the side mirrors of my 4Runner.

To do this I will need to drill 3 holes in the plastic "caps" and then run wires down through the door along with the power mirror wires.

Before I buy the LEDs, I need to know a few things;

-How do you disassemble the mirrors? Does the chrome plastic part seperate from the black frame and motor area?

-Is there enough space between the motor and gears and the plastic housing for a few mounting screws and a wire or 2?

-Has anyone done something like this before and do you have pics? Even if all you did was take them apart to repair or replace them.

I am at a loss, all I can see is a single screw on the underside and I don't want to start prying when I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Lamm
Old 12-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The single screw at the underside is the key

Unscrew that and the whole assembly, mirror and all, will be ready to come out. It attaches at three points. The aformentioned screw and then two tabs which slide through two slots at the top of the assembly. My tabs where broken, but I would imagine once the screw was out, you would just lift the mirror up slightly to slip over the pins and it should come forward. The motor is attached to the back of the mirror.

There is a fair amount of room in there, so I'd think you plan should work. You can remove the chrome part from the inside if needed for drilling. Screw will be evident once the mirror is in your hand.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awsome!

Lamm
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking aimlessly for some help on trying to replace my driver side mirror. It's not getting the mirror off or on for that matter. The damn PO cut the freaking wires and shoved them down into the door with out the connector. Now I have to fix their lazy azz patch job.

The wires that I pulled out from the door panel are solid green, solid brown and solid black. The mirror came with solid brown, solid yellow and solid white.

I have been looking at the Chilton FSM's wire diagrams and can not figure out which wires connect to which. Except the brown wires, I'll probably connect those together but the others, I'm lost.

I am guessing for the inside door panel wires black is ground, brown (?), green (?)

Help would be much appreciated. I don't think I am the only new owner having to fix PO lazyness with this mess.

Many thanks in advance,

Nesto