86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd gen lift vs tire size clarification

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
That looks awesome man...I have never heard of anybody running 35's with no lift, good work!

Fink

If these were 35x12.5 then they would not have fit. If there were more tire/tread options for the 35x10.5 or even 35x11.5 size then more people would be running them. I like the thinner tires, I've ran 33x10.5 swampers, 34x9.5 swampers and now 35x10.5 SSR's... the SSR's are by far my favorite so far.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 PM

Hot dang, I never knew 35x10.5's existed! that's like my dream tire size... Are those SSR's radial or bias, and do you think the SSR's handle better on-road than TSL's? I had 33" TSL's on my Jeep, and they were pretty scary in the rain. Those tires look great, though!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
Hot dang, I never knew 35x10.5's existed! that's like my dream tire size... Are those SSR's radial or bias, and do you think the SSR's handle better on-road than TSL's? I had 33" TSL's on my Jeep, and they were pretty scary in the rain. Those tires look great, though!

All the SSR's are radials. They feel better than my old 35x12.5 BFG M/T's I had years ago. SSR's are soft but have a deep amount of tread...about 3/4" deep. The SSR's are also siped in stock form which really helps with wet pavement driving. Life span of SSR's are short compared to other harder compound mud tires.

Only downside to the 35x10.5 SSR's is the price. I found a killer deal on my set which was better than any online price. Plus the local shop had them in stock, which shocked the guy at the counter too. The SSR's also run a bit tall, the 35's are real 35's, not like other 35's out there which are shorter.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:53 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GREAT! I knew there were people out there doing this!

It looks like there would be rubbing on the lower valance if you didn't take it off, but that is easily trimmed.

Hmmm ... of course now you've got me thinking 35x10.5's ... Doubt they make any that get decent life on road though...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 AM

Definitely not the mileage you'd get out of BFG's or Yoko's.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by tc
It looks like there would be rubbing on the lower valance if you didn't take it off, but that is easily trimmed.

That valance is just a waste of tin foil IMO. I had more rock damage to it than anything else, all from pavement pounding too. Only 4 bolts were holding it in place anyway.

Originally Posted by tc
Hmmm ... of course now you've got me thinking 35x10.5's ... Doubt they make any that get decent life on road though...

If you plan to run 35's you shouldn't be thinking about tread life first. Think if you can actually push them, if they'll fit, then worry about your mpg. Tread life wasn't even a thought for me. I knew they'd fit, now I need to drop some change for the dual case setup...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I want a very off-road looking truck, but the facts are that it was bought to be cheaper to operate than the Impala, and 99.9999999% of the miles will be on road (at least 'til I can move back out west)

Placed the order with NTB today for 33x10.5-15 Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT. They said 3-5 days to come in. Will let you know how it turns out!

Last edited by tc; 12-13-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Let me get this straight, 33x10.5's will fit w/o lift?? I was under the impression that the biggesst you could run was 32" and even that was questionable. I'm looking at 255/85 16's since I'm running tundra 16x7 steelies which is about 33x10. If i could get away without a lift for a while and focus on putting my money towards gears that would be perfect.

:edit: my truck is the same as toyofast's ('94 x-cab)

-and I found this article on the same 255/85 r16's on expeditions west's tacoma very interesting. Looks like I've finally decided what size tire to run. actual diameter is 33.4" x 10.5" on the BFG muds.

Last edited by BAZ; 12-13-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
Wow. Let me get this straight, 33x10.5's will fit w/o lift?? I was under the impression that the biggesst you could run was 32" and even that was questionable. I'm looking at 255/85 16's since I'm running tundra 16x7 steelies which is about 33x10. If i could get away without a lift for a while and focus on putting my money towards gears that would be perfect.

:edit: my truck is the same as toyofast's ('94 x-cab)

I was running the 33x10.5 Swamper radials on the stock 15x7.5 Toyota alloy, no rubbing.

Wider tires require more room, the scrub radius is the thing to be worried about.

The 35x10.5's rub slightly... only thing I worried about was being able to push the 35's. Luckly the 4.56's are okay for my trucks current setup...but I also have the 3.slow which has only been helped in the intake and exhaust side of things.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:22 PM
BAZ

That is so awesome. I guess I can put the lift on hold. Correct me if I'm wrong but the stock second gen alloys in the pictures you posted were 15x6.

Did you rub with the 33's under full flex?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
That is so awesome. I guess I can put the lift on hold. Correct me if I'm wrong but the stock second gen alloys in the pictures you posted were 15x6.

My wheels are the stock SR5 alloys which are 15x7, not 15x6.

Originally Posted by BAZ
Did you rub with the 33's under full flex?
Nope. IFS doesn't have flex in my book, that 3" of uptravel isn't much to count With the 33x10.5's I was able to run the front mud flaps too.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:03 PM
BAZ

Sweet. That's great news for me. The expeditions west link I posted above says that he had to do some trimming for the 255/85 r16's to fit but maybe tacos are a little lower?

Got any more pics of your truck? It looks sweet FYI, nice and clean.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
Got any more pics of your truck? It looks sweet FYI, nice and clean.

My truck clean? Well... I guess it's pretty good for having 307K miles on it. Everything works like new too. Although there are lots of small dents, scratches and loving abuse marks up and down the rig.

I actually don't have many pictures for some reason, all my other Toyota's I had tons of pictures....

I do make some of this video(last minute of so of it ) ...
http://www.orcrc.com/videos/bend.wmv (warning 58MB)

Later this weekend I'll start my own thread on my truck as there are mods to come this weekend that I would like to share, along with showing how to fit the 35's with no lift.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:03 PM
BAZ

Originally Posted by Toyofast
My truck clean? Well... I guess it's pretty good for having 307K miles on it. Everything works like new too. Although there are lots of small dents, scratches and loving abuse marks up and down the rig.

I actually don't have many pictures for some reason, all my other Toyota's I had tons of pictures....

I do make some of this video(last minute of so of it ) ...
http://www.orcrc.com/videos/bend.wmv (warning 58MB)

Later this weekend I'll start my own thread on my truck as there are mods to come this weekend that I would like to share, along with showing how to fit the 35's with no lift.
Well, clean as in OEMish

307k? Nice. silver truck (sp?) on here has over 400k on his truck. Mine just turned 113k today so I'm looking forward to many many more years of life on my little 22r-e. It also has lots of little scratches and battle wounds

By the way, welcome to the board. Looks like you have some very useful info to share with the rest of us and I look forward to your future posts and that writeup.

-Also, saw you're in Oregon. My old roomate from when I lived in WI just moved to bend a couple of months ago. I moved to AZ where I currently live at around the same time. He says its awesome out there and from what i've seen in pictures it looks beautiful.

Last edited by BAZ; 12-13-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Update!!

Got the 33x10.50's today - they fit perfect as everyone said they would!

I was getting a little worried as they rolled them out - they are SO tall! Wish I had a picture of those guys faces when they installed the first one on the front and turned the wheel with like an inch to spare!

No lift, not even t-bar, no trimming. Just wish there was more tires available in that size... (anyone from Bridgestone out there - 33x10.50 REVO's...)

Will get some pix soon - kinda dark now.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:38 PM

Sweet! Can't wait to see the pics... Any power loss or anything really noticeable?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Haven't driven it much yet, but will be going down to Columbus tomorrow (about 2 hrs each way), so I will know more then.

First impressions (I have 3VZE with MT, 4.56 gears):
- Tires have considerably more noise than my last ones. Not bad, but I hope they get better after wearing in a little.
- Snow/ice traction is WAY better than my old tires, although not as good as I hoped (I probably got a little hyped up ad excited though)
- Acceleration is actually BETTER believe it or not. First was so low before that by the time you got moving, you were tached out. Truck has more "legs" in the lower gears now.
- I'll have to tell you what the effect on highway cruising after tomorrow. You can't lug it in 5th at 35 MPH anymore, though (probably a good thing actually)

Based on the short amount of driving and the looks, I am SUPER happy!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I was getting a little worried as they rolled them out - they are SO tall!

Wait 'till you want to slap on some 35x10.5's... then the tires will seem big.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:06 PM

Back to the off topic discussion of painting your rims. There is a thing a lot of the off roaders are doing around here, and that is painting the lower half of your vehicle with black Rhino truck bed paint. Some have also continued the paint to the rims... LOOKS SHARP AS A KNIFE!
I soon will do both.

On topic... I too agree that 33" 10.5 are THE BEST choice for the money for our trucks. If I did 35"s I'd HAVE to have a lift (I'm getting one anyways) I tend to get a lead foot on the fire roads and it would be a matter of time before I got a blow out without one just from rubbing.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:56 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Pix!!!

Here are some pix and a recap in case others want to search later:

'93 4Runner, no lift, no Tbar crank in front, 1.5" Eibach springs in back to fix saggy butt. Manual trans with 4.56 gears.

33x10.50 R15 Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT on stock (15x7) SR5 rims. Tires seem to make a little noise, not bad. Seems to be more body roll now - probably need to experiment with tire pressures. VERY good traction on snow and ice (tire is severe snow service rated)

Clears no problem in normal flex, haven't tried fully flexed, but don't anticipate any problems.

Speedometer reads 1MPH slower than the GPS at 75MPH (close enough for me!) Gas mileage is about the same.

First gear is definitely higher, might need 4LO in some situations where 4HI was OK before. I say on road drivability is BETTER as first gear actually has some legs now. RPM's on the highway dropped about 100 I think.

Overall:
Attached Thumbnails 2nd gen lift vs tire size clarification-dscn0290.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2nd gen lift vs tire size clarification