86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22rte no power no rev

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
see if your cats plugged.

or check your coil wire, mine was starting to fall off the other day and had the same issues as you.

spray carb cleaner on all the vacuum lines and manifolds to see if the idel changes, if it does. you have a vacuum leak..

yea, the hot side takes the most abuse.

hows your fuel pressure? check the afm?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 PM

does your oil look like milk?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for plugged cat. That would make it run the way its going now..
Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turbomike
ok so i should check for vaccum leaks then. whats the best way to do that? also what should i do about the no revs. im thinking i should pull the downpipe off the turbo and stat it to see if that will help. and i could also check in and out free play on the turbo. i already checked the compesser side but i heard the hot side takes more abuse
The best way is to use a smoke tester if you have access to one. You can always rig up a pressure tester too. Spraying carb cleaner around while the motor is running like was suggested works, but personally, I like the manual approach. Remove every line one at a time, inspect for cracks or hardness, replace as necessary.

Yes the hot side sees more stress, but they're both connected with a steel shaft. If the cold side doesn't seem to have any play, the hot side should be fine too. Shaft play side to side is normal, as there isn't any oil in the journal bearings when the motor is off. It's the in and out movement that's the issue. If you've got movement there, your thrust bearings are done for, and you're likely grinding the wheels into the turbo housings. I remember it wasn't unheard of for exhaust wheels to fall off on the 1JZs and end up in the exhaust, but if you're getting even a bit of boost, that's not a problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM

haven't put a fuel pressure gauge yet and the afm is good repaced the coil and igniter a couple weeks ago. oil is not milky on the dip stick. just got my cast off so i can start working on the yota again. im going to pull the downpipe off whenever it stops raining and check for vaccum leaks also. and we'll see how everything turns hopefully i find the problem so i can start spoolin and do performance upgrades. what should compession be if i do a compession test?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 PM

well on stock ct20 they have a tendency to crack by the waste gate. take off your down pipe and look to make sure your waste gate isn't cracked and is functioning properly. these truck will not move out of there own way if there is any problem with it building boost. unbolt your cat from your mid pipe to see if that helps. make sure when you check timing that you jump the connector by the fuse box. should be connection e1 and t1 if i remember correctly. timing should be at 15 with your idle speed at 800 rpms. take a picture of your motor to give us an idea of your setup.

these truck are difficult to tune on the stock ecu if someone put a turbo on there that isn't the proper size for that motor expectually without the supporting modifications it will never run right. try checking out this forum for help.
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MuscleInc1320
well on stock ct20 they have a tendency to crack by the waste gate. take off your down pipe and look to make sure your waste gate isn't cracked and is functioning properly. these truck will not move out of there own way if there is any problem with it building boost. unbolt your cat from your mid pipe to see if that helps. make sure when you check timing that you jump the connector by the fuse box. should be connection e1 and t1 if i remember correctly. timing should be at 15 with your idle speed at 800 rpms. take a picture of your motor to give us an idea of your setup.

these truck are difficult to tune on the stock ecu if someone put a turbo on there that isn't the proper size for that motor expectually without the supporting modifications it will never run right. try checking out this forum for help.
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/
ok i will look at that. i need access to a timing gun and then i can check that. i can get pics up once the weather clears up. what pics did you want in particular?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM

ok so i took downpipe off of the hot side of the turbo, started it up and it ran exactly the same it just was louder and you could hear the turbo more. checked my tps with fuller gauge and multimeter and got its adjusted correctly. cant check my ignition timing because i dont have a timing gun. im going to check my fuel filter to see if its clogged ill keep u posted. also my turbo play seems good likes its a new turbo there was no in and out play at all and it doesnt seem to move side to side either
Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM

ok so i took a video of what the motor does when i rev it up. i will be posting it soon.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 AM

http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplema...orum/index.php

try posting on this site, the people on there are very helpful. honestly too im still new into the whole turbo 22re scene myself. i still would expect the timing to be off or vacuum/boost leak.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 AM

I I'm now much on turbos but I would check back pressure it sounds like you have got a plugged cat. Take out your 02 sensor and install a back pressure guage and check your results.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ky4wheelie
I I'm now much on turbos but I would check back pressure it sounds like you have got a plugged cat. Take out your 02 sensor and install a back pressure guage and check your results.
did you not watch the videos?

there is no down pip on the thing. so there is absolutely no restriction.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

silly question..

is your throttle cable stretched out? is your intake butterfly opening completely?

it sounds like it should be a good running truck
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM

yeah it does and thats fine maybe somebody can help there. when i give it full throttle it hits the throttle stop so its getting full. honestly i think either its the cam timing or crank timing, because the turbo has absolutely no free play it feels like i just bought the turbo feels new. also the orginal owner told me it ran like that ever since he had the head replaced, and he never drove it because its so slow, feels like your driving a tank. maybe the videos can give you a better idea on whats wrong seems like it just doesnt want to rev any higher. its even worse when you are driving. you can hear the turbo in the video too sounds good.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM

When you had the downpipe off, did you check to see if your wastegate was loose?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM

is the throttle stop adjusted properly then?

where are you located again?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM

when i had the downpipe off i moved the wastegate arm in and out and it seemed to work. i can check that. im located in bay area
Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Did it move really easily, like it was broken? It shouldn't be easily moved by hand.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM

it was not moved by hand i used pliers on the wastegate arm and it was hard to move