86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re wiring + cranking problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22re wiring + cranking problems

I am currently having problems with my 95 toyota pickup 4wd 22re. I recently encountered a blown timing chain cover gasket. I disassembled the motor myself and put an entire engine gasket set back in place of all the old. in the process I did had to reset the timing chain, which I may not have fine correctly even although I did follow the Haynes manual step by step. Now with the motor complete again the engine with turn over several times and then stop abruptly and then start turning over again; however, the engine still will not attempt to crank. This is one of two problems that may or may not be related. After attempting to start the engine, I have a ground wire that shorts out and turns cherry red. I have replaced the wire twice already only to get the same result. This ground wire branches out from the harness directly beside the breather box and bolts to the body of the truck, then returns to the harness bundled with the alternater wires and then bolts to the motor. I am aware that the root of my problems are my own fault but I lack the ability to pinpoint where I messed up at. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by little_blue_beast95; 06-28-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like your basic and/or ignition timing is off. This would put a lot more strain on the starter, causing it to draw more current than it normally should, causing the grounding strap to heat up. Make sure your basic and ignition timing are correct. Also, make sure you didn't forget to connect a grounding strap somewhere else. Maybe add one or two of your own, couldn't hurt.

For the love of pepperoni pizza, if your grounding strap is bright red, imagine what your starter is going through!