Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE stick to automatic conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE stick to automatic conversion??

So I know I'm gonna get some heat for asking this, but has anyone ever done a manual to automatic conversion on a 22re Toyota pickup?
The reason I am asking is because I have 1994 Toyota pickup 22re base model and My dad has the same truck but with super high mileage. He recently has spinal fusion surgery and is now having a struggling to shift (press the clutch pedal and shift).
My pops mentioned that he wants to buy an automatic Toyota pickup, but I figured that I can just give him my truck and attempt to do the conversion by myself if possible.
The reason that I want to do this conversion is that I have 20k on the reman engine along with fuel injectors and new: radiator, clutch, steel timing kit, water pump, tires, and the brake system.
Sorry, not my intention to brag, but I finally got this truck running great and I figured it would be less expensive than buying an automatic truck with unknown owner car history.
​​​​​​Any ideas or suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Gamma_Hugo; 05-19-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the auto to manual write-up is really well covered. Haven't seen a manual to auto discussion except for down in australia when some youtuber promoted easy driving in a 70 series with a converted auto trans. Just my two cents but i've always found auto trans toyotas can be bought at a reasonably decent price. Maybe a new (to him) toyota for your dad would be a better option than the trouble of a conversion
Old 05-23-2017, 03:37 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I hope all goes well for your pop.....I'm tempted to say it will involve a little bit of headache because you're gonna need the engine computer for the auto.... and the harness and that would seem like a headache to wire up. I had the auto out of my 01 Tacoma just recently( for a new torque converter) so I know what the harness might look like on the A340F.
Why not go on the search for an auto truck that shifts well and the fluid looks clean and might even have some service records. I know that can be a challenging task to find an old auto from the 90's that still shifts like it should but they are out there.
And once you found a good one then you can sell your truck and it might be a wash in the money department.

Then to soften the ride for his backbone do a ZUK-coil mod properly

Ken