86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Starting Issues

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup, 22re, with about 196k miles. The problem is that when I'm starting up the truck, with the engine being warm, it takes it longer than normal to turn over. It's cranking fine, but it sounds like it's hesitating to turn over, most of the time taking 5 or 6 cranks and skipping on the final crank. When the engine is cold, it turns over perfect. I've changed the plugs, wires, and distributor cap about 10k miles ago. The oil is changed every 3k and I just got the timing chain done 3k miles ago. I bought a new battery and cables about 8k miles ago also.

I finally got it on video using my phone, hoping it would help because it's rather hard to explain. In the video, I started it after I drove it for 10 miles and went in class for 45 minutes. You can see that it cranks approximately 6 times till it starts skipping/hesitating on turning over. Sometimes it will do that and won't turn over. Then I'll try again and it will turn over just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNo5O...layer_embedded
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Have you replaced the fuel filter in a while mine had the same problem except it wouldn't start at all but made same (trying to start) noise .. in the end mine was the fuel pump but i would start with the filter first since its 10 bucks
just my 2 cents
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM

The filter has been changed about a year ago (forgot to add that). Wouldn't the fuel pump slow it down from turning over from a cold engine start rather than a warm engine start?

I have thought of the fuel pump a few times, since there is this quiet, high-pitch noise coming from the back. I mainly hear it when I'm traveling long distances. But I didn't think it affected the engine from turning over when the engine is warm. Any input?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Mines got starting issues too, except it's opposite to yours. It hesitates to start when its cold. I have to give it a few steps on the throttle to start it. The when its warm enough, it starts perfect. Don't mean to hijack just thought i could get a quicker response here. This is a new to me ride and havent or dont know what has been changed on it. 88' 22re pick up fuel injected. Anyone?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Faulty Wood
I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup, 22re, with about 196k miles. The problem is that when I'm starting up the truck, with the engine being warm, it takes it longer than normal to turn over. It's cranking fine, but it sounds like it's hesitating to turn over, most of the time taking 5 or 6 cranks and skipping on the final crank. When the engine is cold, it turns over perfect. I've changed the plugs, wires, and distributor cap about 10k miles ago. The oil is changed every 3k and I just got the timing chain done 3k miles ago. I bought a new battery and cables about 8k miles ago also.

I finally got it on video using my phone, hoping it would help because it's rather hard to explain. In the video, I started it after I drove it for 10 miles and went in class for 45 minutes. You can see that it cranks approximately 6 times till it starts skipping/hesitating on turning over. Sometimes it will do that and won't turn over. Then I'll try again and it will turn over just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNo5O...layer_embedded
Im just going by what i hear in the video, but it almost soulds like its fuel related, but its hard to tell. Try replacing the fuel filter and see it that helps, also make sure the battery cable going to the starter is clean and tight on both ends. try the simple stuff first and see if that helps.