86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE starter issues

last week my starter went out on my 22RE i was pretty pissed because it was a new starter in january and had less than 3000 miles on it, i took it back they tested it and said it was good, but gave me a new one regardless.

this was thursday, the new starter did the same thing today, i can hear the silinoid click and try to engauge but it doesn't, is this my fault or is it just a crappy remanufacture job from NAPA?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your starter relay, im having the same problem just havent gotten around to doin the electrical tests, but kragen says its a good starter, so i cant exchange it
Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 PM

I had a similar issue, and I replaced my battery with an optima red top. Problem gone. If you want a replacement starter relay, I actually bought one from Summit racing, but never installed it... didn't need to with the new battery fixing the problem. I would be happy to send the relay to you if you want it. PM me.

I also cleaned up my terminals pretty good. It is interesting to me how this clicking manifests itself. It sounds like a starter issue, it "could" be a starter relay, but again, mine was fixed with a new battery. I have literally just done this within the last 2 months. Also, just for giggles, try connecting to a good battery from your newer truck (if you have one just laying around) and see if jumping it starts it. If it turns over, um, there ya go. Worth the trouble, I am sure...

Last edited by mwilliam13; 10-07-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may be the unfortunate victim of aftermarket remanufactured parts, OR.......

There may be something else wrong.

I'd start out by doing voltage drop tests across the switch circuit, Positive battery cable, and Ground circuit

what is the current draw when cranking? Cranking voltage?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your best bet is to get a starter from stealership... if it goes out, its on them.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM

okay thanks guys, i'll test it tomorrow.
the battery is brand new, 635cold cranking amps. it worked fine before but who knows, it could be to small.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
hud

This happened to my 91, and here's what ya gotta do....

The relay itself is probably just fine, as noted by the clicking. ...if so, why won't it crank? Not enought current. Through many hours of rubicon-like web-wheeling, I discovered that Toyota wired the relay incorrectly from the factory. The switching portion of the relay is wired through the ignition switch, as it should be. The heavy current-load part of the relay is also wired through the ignition switch, so the starter is trying to draw all of its current through there, which doesn't work well, regardless of the fact that it negates the point of using the relay in the first place. The ignition switch degrades over time, just like everything else. A weak battery will have a tough time trying to run the starter through all that extra resistance, which could explain the reported success of using a better battery, albeit maybe a temporary success. What you need to do is re-wire the relay to draw power directly from the battery. Just cut the power wire, run it to the battery with a fuse and a switch (you now have a secret kill switch), just incase the relay ever sticks, and you're good to go.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM
hud

oh yeah, if you want to test if your starter works, just jumper the power terminal on the starter (has the big wire from the battery) with the little solenoid terminal (has the wire coming in from the ignition relay). You'll make some sparks, but it'll crank if the starter's good. I had to start my truck like this a few times before I could get the time to fix it.

th-th-bth-that's all folks!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 PM

what i had starter problems all i had to do was clean my battery connections. they looked good just didn't work well.