86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE and the SMT6 -- anyone, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE and the SMT6 -- anyone, anyone?

OK, so I have this '94 4WD 22Re Toyota pickup and an SMT6 piggyback chip, all I need to do is figure out how to put the two together. Thus far I have been unable to locate wiring diagrams for the 22RE engine (big help you were PerfectPower ) and am simply not cool (nor brave) enough to attempt to figure it out on my own, that could be a disaster (plus I'm a...what are they called - noob). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the SMT6 and the 22RE engine? Any help would be appreciated.

-NAW
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read these dont work well with the pre-88.5 turbos.
I think that Jeff Mosk tried it at one time, might contact him - he has an early truck, but knows about the later EFI systems and AFM signals.
Harry "harrysituations' wagner also had an SMT6 in an early turbo pickup setup...

Hopefully the later 22res have AFM signals that are a bit more standard EFI than the early ones..
Contacted the guys that make that toy? I think they officially support the 22RE.

What do you have that needs an SMT6?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:37 PM

I don't "need" the SMT in the sense that I have to control boost and run an extra injector. I would, however, like tot tune the engine, there is just no way in hell that it could be anywhere near its peak running condition with its current operational state. Just considering engines in general, there MUST be a fair amount of power etc. to be had and having researched ways to accomplish that, the piggyback seemed the most direct and of those, the SMT6 seemed like it could provide the most options. Course I could have missed something. Anyway, thanks for the help and I will attempt to contact those people!
O yeah, and I'm trying to switch to running on alcohol and require a certain amount of engine control to do that.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:08 PM

Here is a link to a pretty informative website about performance gains, positives and negatives of performance chips and programmable engine management systems. http://sdsefi.com/techchip.htm It may give you an idea of what to expect tuning your truck up with the SMT6. If not, i thought it was fun to read
Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NAWilkins
I don't "need" the SMT in the sense that I have to control boost and run an extra injector. I would, however, like tot tune the engine, there is just no way in hell that it could be anywhere near its peak running condition with its current operational state. Just considering engines in general, there MUST be a fair amount of power etc. to be had and having researched ways to accomplish that, the piggyback seemed the most direct and of those, the SMT6 seemed like it could provide the most options. Course I could have missed something. Anyway, thanks for the help and I will attempt to contact those people!
O yeah, and I'm trying to switch to running on alcohol and require a certain amount of engine control to do that.

Unless the SMT uses a wideband, you're just guessing at the tuning.
If you want to use it, my suggestion would be to call them directly and see if they can help you tune it. If you're running a piggy back, stock EFI, and some sort of boost triggered alternate injector - you're going to have a lot of independent systems fighting. At least one of those systems needs to operate in closed loop. The stock closed loop of the EFI is going to be impacted by the SMT6, so I dunno what will happen..

Replacing the alt injector with an SMT6, if you can get it to work, sounds like a good idea.

Alternate ideas:
1) Use Megasquirt to control your alternate injector. Use a wideband. It's capable of automatically tuning for a desired A/F ratio. As you don't use it for timing, it's easy to implement. Can be set to operate in boost only.

2) I hear that SDS has somethign similar for around $300 - basically an alternate injector controller with closed loop feedback. This might be the easiest way to do it. Again, uses a wideband to adjust things for you once you get a basic fuel map dialed in.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the link TC22RE. dcg9381, I was saying I DON'T have the alternate injector and booster stuff, I merely wanted to have some control over the engine as it was. Really sounds like you know what you're talking about and will most certainly be helpful in the future.
I did contact PerfectPower and they said they offer a "pre-configured" one for my model, make, and year for an extra 75 bucks if I wanna just ship it on back. I want to see if I can find any more info before I do that. Or hell, if anyone knows and has had experience with other chips and it worked then maybe I'll chakc that out. Thanks for the help!