86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE random over heating issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE random over heating issue.

This Friday we took my 94 22re 5spd over fishing for the day. I rebuilt this motor less than 4k ago i bought the truck not running. it did great for the first 100miles and then i noticed the temp gauge rising i assumed it was due to pulling the hills on the mountain pass. turned the heater on temp went down and all was well. We finished the other 60 miles no prob at all. later on that day as we went from one lake to another (10miles if that) it got warm turned the heater on it was fine. park and get out it started to gurgle/bubble in the overflow tank. pulled the hose it steamed for a min but not much we could to about it 160 miles from home. Coming back over the pass it got warm prob. a total of 10 times. never let it get to red i watched the gauge like a hawk the whole drive. I have not drove it sense. I didnt check the lower hose to see if temp changed between the two but the upper was hot. radiator looks to be in great shape and i didnt loose any coolant. I just dont want to start throwing parts at it in hopes it fixes it. when i rebuilt it every thing was new t-stat water pump. any ideas? radiator or fan clutch?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Air pockets? Needs burping?

Had a similar issue, and whether it's your issue or not, couldn't hurt to burp the system really well as instructed in the good books! lol.

Couldn't be a few clogged coolant ports in the motor, right?

Radiators can look FANTASTICALACIOUS!.... yet still be trouble. Easiest thing to remove and have pressure/standards tested, and it's cheap to have done, too. Could just be a few clogged rods down in there...

My situation, which sounds similar;

* Right before rebuilding, I took it in for smog. It was sent home before beginning because it was running so hot. First, found the H20 pump leaking out the weep hole. Replaced it, ran fine for 2 hours or so, not a hiccup in heating/cooling. At that point, suddenly, it SPIKED again. Looked carefully and found the lower hose was cool and upper was HARD AS A ROCK(THINK it was that way, maybe the other way around? Lol)... Either way, the new 'FLOW' from the Water Pump did in my Radiator... .Looking in there, it was looking PRISTINE! It was not. Replaced the radiator, not a single problem since.

check the radiator and rule it out before ANYTHING, especially avoiding a 'REALLY QUICK and unforeseen OVERHEATING situation that causes you reallllllllllly bad issues', ya know?

Best wishes, .... watching!