Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE possible coolant in oil???

Old 02-23-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE possible coolant in oil???

Hey guys,

I got a 92 Toyota Pickup 22RE last December. It's been so cold in NJ that I really haven't got a chance to work on it, or tune it up. I bought it as a beater, winter truck, secondary car. It's not my daily driver, but my Home Depot vehicle.

I noticed i've been having to top the coolant every so often. I noticed a little fluid coming from the top rad hose which I've ordered a new one. A few times I've noticed random little spots of coolant on the bottom of the hood, valve cover, and other spots up there. Thinking it was the rad hose, I plan on replacing it. While researching information on my father's truck 01 Jeep Cherokee which I believe has a cracked head because he's going through quite a lot of coolant, I decided to check my truck with the symptoms he has. I opened the oil cap, and did notice the oil to be milky. I have yet to change it since I got it. I also noticed sometimes it smoking pretty bad when started. I also though it was because it was an older truck, and it's been really cold. The smoke would go away after a few minutes of driving.

I've read a lot about replacing the timing gear guides, and I have heard rattling come from the front at start up when the engine is warm. So I'm wondering if I need to replace the head gasket, or if it's just my timing gear cover? I think at this point I definitely want to replace the guides, I'm just a little nervous to do it myself.

I really like the truck, and don't want to part with it. I just don't want to continue to sink money into this thing, especially since it's a secondary vehicle.

If anyone lives in or around Northern NJ, I'm wiling to travel, I would be willing to pay if your familiar and comfortable enough with this kind of work. I truthfully don't feel 100% for doing it, although I wouldn't mind to learn and would be able to help. I don't really have a good mechanic now, and I'm somewhat weary of paying someone around here who doesn't have the experience with a truck like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM

if your going that far do the hole top end i did it and dont regret it one bit. lower end usually doesnt need it unless it is not the first time this truck has had it done. but if your are tryin to go on the lighter side of money just do the gasket and check the valves for any bad wear and tear.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
If you hear a slapping up front it can be the chain has been hitting the timing cover and worn through. Look up engnbldr in Portland, Or. Good people and good prices. He has the combo you probable will need. Timing chain w/steel guide, timing cover (yours probably is toast), water pump, & oil pump. All oem quality.

To do the timing chain with out a head gasket you might want to look at removing the oil pan and cleaning out the debris in there, your guide rod that's most likely snapped and in your oil pan. That will also allow you to place you timing cover easily and not smashed in there. That's how a lot of people have problems. It pinches the head gasket and then leaks oil there.

Also run a compression test. That should let you know if its a head gasket or timing cover. Good luck hope this helps
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM

My chain wore through the cover with around 200,000 miles on the stock timing chain.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM

Here is the link to engnbldr's site with the combo special

http://engnbldr.com/toyota-ala-carte.html
Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
If you hear a slapping up front it can be the chain has been hitting the timing cover and worn through. Look up engnbldr in Portland, Or. Good people and good prices. He has the combo you probable will need. Timing chain w/steel guide, timing cover (yours probably is toast), water pump, & oil pump. All oem quality.

To do the timing chain with out a head gasket you might want to look at removing the oil pan and cleaning out the debris in there, your guide rod that's most likely snapped and in your oil pan. That will also allow you to place you timing cover easily and not smashed in there. That's how a lot of people have problems. It pinches the head gasket and then leaks oil there.

Also run a compression test. That should let you know if its a head gasket or timing cover. Good luck hope this helps
Thanks for the replies, I did read a lot about egnbldr, and would probably go with them. I will try to do a compression test just to get some numbers once it warms up a little.

I already have it planned that at the minimal I have to replace the timing chain guides with the front kit. My question is assuming my head gasket is OK, how would I loose antifreeze from the timing cover? Sorry if it's a novice questions, I'm still learning here.

The truck has 164k miles on it, I'm not sure about it's history. The previous owner only had it for 2 years. He was using castrol high mileage oil in it too. I'm not sure what to look for but the engine doesn't really look like it was tore apart, looks like layers of caked on grease between the valve cover and head. I do know that I would like to keep the truck for a little while, and rather not ride it till it leaves me stranded. I've already put a decent money into with new tires, and starting issues.

I'm thinking as others have said maybe I should replace head gasket while I'm half way there. I would hate to do all this work, and than have to redo it all again, when I can get it all done at once. I'm not happy about the money, but the price of parts doesn't seem too awful for a new timing gear kit and head gasket. I also would replace the alternator, water pump and oil pump while doing this. My alternator is starting to go, been getting the dash lights.

My only saving grace is this isn't a daily driver, so it really can sit for a while, without me missing work.

Any thoughts would appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM

The way the water mixes is when the timing chain slaps the case long enough it breaks through. It just happens to hit a water jacket on the other side of the cover.

I would probably do the head gasket and spend a few bucks more to have the head flushed and tested. Just don't forget to chase the head bolt threads like I did and get false torque readings on your head bolts. (Still upset with myself about that). But yea your almost all the way there and it's the recommended factory service manual way to do it. Just makes it all done at once. Good for another 200k with the timing chain.

But you probably have pieces of your timing chain guides in your oil pan and should remove them. By pulling you oil pan. And if you do you head gasket. Get an oem Toyota one or a good one from engnbldr. Don't use a fram or parts store one. Or you will get to do it again soon.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM

I'm a little on the fence with this one now...

I've been reading the Beginner guide on this forum of the guy who spent 8 months redoing this, and another member I think irab88 who did a similar build. Both builds were extremely impressive, and when I checked the last page of both threads, both members now need to redo their work.

I really think redoing the timing chain guides is a good idea, and that it would be a good idea to redo the head gasket since I'd be so far into the project, but I'm not sure how I feel since people still have problems. I don't know the history of the truck, its 22 years old with 162k miles. I will probably put at most 1,000 miles on it a year. It's strictly for bad weather, and for hauling anything from Home Depot or Lowes which is nearby.

Any thoughts or input on the topic?

Again if anyone in the North Jersey New York PA area that is very comfortable doing this job, I'd gladly pay, and help assist with the job. Another reason why I'm the fence is because I'm a little hesitant about this job as a whole, and what I will run into when I tear apart a 22 year old truck.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JaCkaL829
I'm a little on the fence with this one now...

I've been reading the Beginner guide on this forum of the guy who spent 8 months redoing this, and another member I think irab88 who did a similar build. Both builds were extremely impressive, and when I checked the last page of both threads, both members now need to redo their work.

I really think redoing the timing chain guides is a good idea, and that it would be a good idea to redo the head gasket since I'd be so far into the project, but I'm not sure how I feel since people still have problems. I don't know the history of the truck, its 22 years old with 162k miles. I will probably put at most 1,000 miles on it a year. It's strictly for bad weather, and for hauling anything from Home Depot or Lowes which is nearby.

Any thoughts or input on the topic?

Again if anyone in the North Jersey New York PA area that is very comfortable doing this job, I'd gladly pay, and help assist with the job. Another reason why I'm the fence is because I'm a little hesitant about this job as a whole, and what I will run into when I tear apart a 22 year old truck.
I used one of the how-to-do-it guides, I have a factory manual and a Chiltons too. I liked the idea of not disturbing the head and pan. That's what I did 25,000 miles ago. Enginebuilder cover, rockauto timing set, misc Toyota gaskets. Used old oil pump. Pieces of the original plastic guides are down there somewhere. I don't worry a bit about it.

If you're lucky, the dampener bolt will come off easy like mine did. 4th gear, brake on, chocks installed, 1/2 drive flex handle with a short piece of pipe.

Get a real puller and don't gently tap the dampener/pulley off and ruin it like I did.

Again if you're lucky, you can ease the old cover off without damaging/destroying the head/pan gasket. Moving the AC compressor out pf the way and cleaning everything up for re assembly were the worst parts of the job.

Used Permatex grey RTV and great care to install the new cover. No leaks and runs great. I marked the distributor position before removal, so I didn't even need to get a timing light out.

Googleup: "22re timing chain replacement". Good luck! I'm not a pro, and I'm a triple check everything guy, and time was probably 12 hours or so... lot of which was cursing cooked-on gasket material and the AC compressor.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 AM

Not sure why you would need a head gasket. If you have a head gasket issue there can be subtle signs but typically more pronounced. A little milky looking oil cap is not a big deal. Especially given how much you drive it. Fix the leaking hose and see if the coolant level stays normal. The timing chain deal in the 92 is iffy IMO. The older trucks early to mid 80's are the ones that had issues with the guides. If it smokes a bit til warm you are talking valve guide seals and 1,000's of trucks do the same and last forever. Do you have coolant on the dipstick when you check your oil? If no then don't worry about it.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 AM

I have a 93 with snapped guides. So I am pretty sure it applies to all 22re motors that have the non-steel backed guide rods. It is very uncommon to snap a chain but plastic gets brittle over 15-20 years and breaks. I just reread your first post. Have you since changed the oil? Or run a compression test? If you are getting ready to spend $$$ on a timing chain/head gasket you do owe it to yourself and check book to at least change the oil and run a compression test. Testers are like $20-50 depending on what brand and where you go. It's little stuff that saves money long term. .