Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Dashpot adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
22re Dashpot adjustment question

Hello, I have a 1987 22re 4x4 m/t.

Issue: Hanging idle after Gentle decel. Returns to normal idle after Abrupt blip of throttle.

I think my Dashpot is not adjusted properly. The little Set screw with the jam nut on the end of the throttle body that rests on the plunger, If i back this off a 1/4 turn would this adjust the dashpot the proper direction or would i need to adjust it in.

I wouldn't mind bypassing or disabling the dashpot either, I assuem if i back off the set screw enough this would elimate the "slowing" effect of the Dash pot.

Also, The previous owner has like 2 zipties on the dashpot body. I am not sure why, i havent yet chopped the zip ties off because im not sure if they are doing anything. But it seems like the zipties are holding it in place to prevent the dashpot from operating. so im not sure if my dashpot is even working properly in the first place.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech.

This isn't that hard. Open the throttle with your hand. Let it go. It should hit the dashpot with about 1/4" to go, then gentle close the rest of the way in about 1 second or less as the dashpot retracts.

i don't think Toyota used zip ties to install the dashpot. Their presence does suggest the dashpot is buggered. Without the dashpot, when the throttle slams shut, you'll belch a cloud of black smoke (fuel still in the intake, and suddenly no air). But it will still run.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree with scope and in addition, go ahead and check the throttle cable, linkage and butterfly valve for smoothness of operation as well. They're all common sources of a sticking idle. I just ordered a complete used throttle body on eBay for about $60 shipped and was in better condition than I hoped. The old one had a very large amount of play at the throttle shaft as well as a busted dash pot. I suspect the wiggle from worn bushings was enough to cause the throttle plate to rub against the inner wall and cause the plate to bind up.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello, The zipties where in place to hold down the dashpot plunger for some reason.

That being said, I removed the zipties, the plunger moves up and down freely with a nice damped speed.

I noticed you said the Dashpot should engage with about 1/4" to go. I backed the set screw off completly, to see if the throttle still hangs. Indeed when I gently realease the throttle it sticks. So i assume the dashpot is not the issue, I proceeded to engage the dashpot set screw back to about where it was before. I will check the distance of the plunger tomorrow and make sure to set it to a relative 1/4"

I inspected the throttle body it seems to be healthy. I have noticed that the pedal does not feel as smooth as other 22re pickups i have driven, I suspect my thottle housing and cable may need replacing.

Is that an easy and straight forward job?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:25 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by richiethomson
... I backed the set screw off completly, to see if the throttle still hangs. Indeed when I gently realease the throttle it sticks. So i assume the dashpot is not the issue, ...
There ya go, that's how to diagnose just about any problem. Isolate the suspect part.

Originally Posted by richiethomson
...I inspected the throttle body it seems to be healthy. I have noticed that the pedal does not feel as smooth as other 22re pickups i have driven, I suspect my thottle housing and cable may need replacing.

Is that an easy and straight forward job?
Well, you have a few steps first. I'd disconnect the throttle cable (if you have cruise control or automatic transmission, disconnect those cables too.) Does the throttle move smoothly with finger pressure? If not, gsp4life described how he (thinks he) had worn bushings that caused the throttle plate to stick. If the throttle body is good, you can try pressing the accelerator with the cable unhooked. Does it feel catchy? I've heard of folks shooting lube into a throttle cable. The part is about $85 from the dealer, https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...818035052.html but shop around https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...180-35052.html