Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r main seal retainer while on engine stand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r main seal retainer while on engine stand?

just put my crank in (nice and smooth) and according to the FSM the next step is to replace my rear main (done) and then put the retainer back onto the back of the block with sealant (I'm just going to use RTV) and the gasket. My engine is on a stand and I can't seem to get the retainer past the ends of the hex bolts that mount into the stand's 'guides' for positioning the engine. Has anyone done this? Is there a good work around? I'd like to not take my engine off the stand since I have no lift points at the moment. Any help would be great.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you can get it on you will be the first i heard of!!

Your going to need to do it just before you drop the engine in.

That is what I always did.

Unless you can hang or support the engine is some other fashion other then by the rear of the engine.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:27 AM

Yea that's what I figured, and I'm not gonna risk dropping a new (used) block by rigging up some sling.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:25 PM

I had no problem getting my rear main cover off my block, but I'm not sure if your engine stand arms give you the same space mine do. It was a tight fit, but it worked. What you can do is use short bolts threaded into the head bolt holes and mount the block to your engine hoist if you have the correct lifting attachment. That way you can either re-position the stand arms or install the cover real quick and bolt it back onto the stand.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had thought about doing that but went ahead on my front end instead. I think I'm going to save myself the hassle and install the rear main, retainer, and new clutch kit once the rest is done and it's just hanging from the hoist but resting on a big wood block I've got.

btw, I'm new here, so I hope I posted this thread in the right place.