Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r high fuel level in sight window

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r high fuel level in sight window

Yes. another question about the carb but I did take the time to go through and look for other threads with not much luck. This may be a little long but I just want to give a good background on the current problem.
Over the last year I swapped in a different motor that came out of a running '87. Owner was going to convert to a V6. Got the motor in my truck and I had an issue with the pickup tube in the tank so being impatient, I routed the return and incoming fuel lines into a gas can in the bed so that we could get it fired up and check timing, leaks etc. Things were fine. Little rough but just needed some fine tuning. So again, being impatient, I drove the truck to work twice, still running out of the gas can and no major issues besides exhaust leak between manifold and pipes. So this weekend, dropped the tank, fixed the clog issue, put tank back in, added a second fuel filter in engine compartment, buttoned up exhaust. Started it up and it sounds great. Was running pretty smooth which suprised me. I had about 4 gallons in the tank and headed to the gas station to fill up. Put in 10 gallons and kept on driving. Was about a 20 minute total trip. No issues. Get home, and after about 15 minutes, went to go on another drive. Started truck and it died. Tried again and had to keep on the gas to keep it from dying. Backed out of driveway and as soon as I let off the gas it died. Pulled back into driveway, popped the hood and looked in the sight window to see my fuel level almost to the top. I've got way too much fuel in there obviously. So now I need to try and narrow this down. I did see something about the AAP getting leaks and dumping too much fuel into the bowl. It's pissing me off, because the level while running out of the gas can was exactly where it should have been and now that everything is buttoned up, I'm getting too much. If you stuck around to read, thanks and any suggestions is very appreciated.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Forgot to mention that this morning I popped the hood and the level in the sight window had gone down overnight.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Update. Went ahead and had the carb rebuilt. Couldn't hurt to spruce up a 20 year old carb. Got it yesterday and put it on after work and fired it up. Truck is doing the same thing it was BEFORE the carb was rebuilt. It starts up, idles for about 2 seconds then boggs down and dies. It will idle as long as I keep feathering the gas pedal but as soon as you let off it will die. Any ideas? I studied the entire fuel and emissions systems in the book last night and don't even know what to start look at.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fuel level is also running too high. I'm suspecting my fuel pump.

Since yours works ok running out of a gas can, the return line to your tank may be plugged up. Pull it off at the pump and blow through it. Remove or at least loosen the gas cap first. Mine isn't real easy to blow through, but I hear faint gurgling in the tank.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM

I have all the lines taken care of. Did that when I dropped the gas tank. After getting the carb rebuilt now my fuel level is perfect though. The guys that rebuilt it came over and took a look at the truck. We thought maybe EGR but found that I was getting too much air. We plugged the line for the MC valve and truck idled great and so we sprayed some carb cleaner around and found that my intake gasket is leaking. Replace that and I'm good to go.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
pull the vent tube off the charcoal canister and see if it runs any better. if it does the canisters are clogged and you need new ones or bypass them. I just had to do this because i had a very similar problem
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 AM

leaking intake manifold.