Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1UZ vs 5VZ Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1UZ vs 5VZ Power

Hey all! Hope you don't mind the number of questions here. I have been doing lots of research but, as always, it seems to turn up 2 questions for every 1 answered.

I've got a 95 4Runner 4x4 3.0l manual tranny and am wanting to put something in it with some power. I have done lots of research and found that the 1uz is much more powerful (obviously) but will be almost impossible to pass smog in CA while keeping my 5speed tranny (due to the fact that the 1uz was never sold with a manual transmission). Since I love my 5speed, I wanted to compare the 1uz to the 5vz.

Here are some base values for comparison:
1UZ = 261 hp at 5,400 rpm and 269 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm.
5VZ = 190 hp at 4,800 rpm with 220 lb-ft of torque at 3,600rpm

What kind of modifications can I make to the 5VZ to increase its power besides a supercharger? This might sound silly, but I really hate the high pitched whine superchargers make even at low rpm. Is there a way to dampen that sound?

Are there other modifications that would produce similar power as a supercharger? I have read that headers are almost useless for increasing power if you don't pair them with a supercharger. Any comment on that?

I love my 5speed and would only opt for the 1uz w/ auto trans if the most I could squeeze out of a 5VZ would be insignificant.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges, 5VZ=V6 power 1UZ=V8 power.

Is it possible to surpass the 1UZ HP with a 5VZ absolutely but it would require a significant amount of money, tuning, time and money. At a minimum youd be looking at
-Supercharger
-URD pulley(s)
-7th injector
ALL totaling to more that 4K and it may or may not pass smog

You shouldn't be comparing the 5VZ to 1UZ but rather the 5VZ to 3VZ.
With the 5VZ you looking at better technology in terms of engine design and fuel mapping and also a significant jump in reliability save for the 5VZ is prone to the easily fixable valve cover leak. Also the 3VZ that came in the 4runners maxed out at 150hp so right of the bat your looking at a 40hp increase you can widen that gap marginally with a good intake and header/exhaust setup.

It all depends on what you wanna do I had my old 2000 tacoma 3.4 loaded down with a big plate front bumper, winch, sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier and 35's. All I had for "power adders" was a injen intake, JBA headers and borla open exhaust. And it got along fine, avg 16mpg, got to keep in mind these things aren't race cars or gas savers.......unless you do a 2jz-gte lol

My .02 is to go with the 5VZ and run it if you need more power its always a CC swipe away.

Last edited by roughridn_sob; 01-31-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roughridn_sob
You are comparing apples to oranges, 5VZ=V6 power 1UZ=V8 power.

Is it possible to surpass the 1UZ HP with a 5VZ absolutely but it would require a significant amount of money, tuning, time and money. At a minimum youd be looking at
-Supercharger
-URD pulley(s)
-7th injector
ALL totaling to more that 4K and it may or may not pass smog

You shouldn't be comparing the 5VZ to 1UZ but rather the 5VZ to 3VZ.
With the 5VZ you looking at better technology in terms of engine design and fuel mapping and also a significant jump in reliability save for the 5VZ is prone to the easily fixable valve cover leak. Also the 3VZ that came in the 4runners maxed out at 150hp so right of the bat your looking at a 40hp increase you can widen that gap marginally with a good intake and header/exhaust setup.

It all depends on what you wanna do I had my old 2000 tacoma 3.4 loaded down with a big plate front bumper, winch, sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier and 35's. All I had for "power adders" was a injen intake, JBA headers and borla open exhaust. And it got along fine, avg 16mpg, got to keep in mind these things aren't race cars or gas savers.......unless you do a 2jz-gte lol

My .02 is to go with the 5VZ and run it if you need more power its always a CC swipe away.
Good points. I am leaning heavily towards the 5vz. Were you able to gear your Tacoma so that it didn't have too much trouble on hills? I am near Tahoe so the mountain driving is what I am most concerned about. The more torque I can get out of the 5vz the better.