Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st gen runner tailgate removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen runner tailgate removal

Are there quick connects anywhere for the window so I can take it off for painting or do I have to cut it like I did the doors? I get to find a massive connector for those doors now so they can be removed in summer. Also the black toyota plastic piece on the outside of the tailgate... How is that removed? Searched for these and wasn't able to run across anything.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah there's a connector in the l/h bedside behind the storage panel. It's kinda in the back corner by the tail lights, probably easier to remove the washer reservoir. Don't do like I did, I was drunk and snipped the wires only to find the connector the next day sober lots of soldering fixed 'er up though. as for the black plastic trim, I have no clue, I just masked mine off when I painted, but then again I was just doing a roll on job
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
You have to pull the window out in order to get to a couple nuts that hold the black plastic tailgate trim in. Tricky at first to disconnect the motor from the window, pull the window out, then work the motor out. The plastic clips on the rubber trim want to break when you pull the window out.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
You have to pull the window out in order to get to a couple nuts that hold the black plastic tailgate trim in. Tricky at first to disconnect the motor from the window, pull the window out, then work the motor out. The plastic clips on the rubber trim want to break when you pull the window out.
looks like it's getting taped...
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt
looks like it's getting taped...
NO!!!! Really simple mmkay. Leave window wires connected. Open tailgate. Take a screw driver and finese the driver side tailgate latch into the closed position. It will click once. Close it some more. Click two.

This "fakes out" the window relay into believing the tailgate is closed. Roll up window via switch while having someone support the glass (or a saw horse). SUPPORT THE GLASS.

Then the two hex nuts (10mm socket) can be removed thus removing the plastic trim
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM

I just removed my rear glass yesterday since I have a soft top now...makes the tailgate a lot lighter

If you have access to the FSM, its really not bad ~30 minutes. As stated, the clips on the inner weatherstripping will break off when removing it to clear the glass rail and defrost tabs...I salvaged 2 out of 8 I think and was pretty careful with each.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
NO!!!! Really simple mmkay. Leave window wires connected. Open tailgate. Take a screw driver and finese the driver side tailgate latch into the closed position. It will click once. Close it some more. Click two.

This "fakes out" the window relay into believing the tailgate is closed. Roll up window via switch while having someone support the glass (or a saw horse). SUPPORT THE GLASS.

Then the two hex nuts (10mm socket) can be removed thus removing the plastic trim
Or just get in the back and roll your window part of the way up, An extension and a 10mm will get you in there to remove trim without removing the window completly...

Dont forget, there is 1 clip in the middle of the trim, Easiest way for me to get this off was to remove the 2 10mm then complete unscrew the clip and the trim will come out.

Last edited by OrRunner; 12-19-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OrRunner
Dont forget, there is 1 clip in the middle of the trim, Easiest way for me to get this off was to remove the 2 10mm then complete unscrew the clip and the trim will come out.
Aye! Forgot about that one! When I did mine I was a little perplexed by it but ultimately just unscrewed it by hand.