86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen Removable Doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by babyfood1217
Just thought I would finally look into some of this, as I decided to remove my doors late last week (have been wanting to since I started dating a gorgeous Jeep girl a couple years ago.)

I checked the WI state vehicles laws, and the only laws that seem to apply in this state are as follows... (WI statute 347.40-1, 347.43-1,4)

Mirrors. (1) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon a highway unless such vehicle is equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the roadway for a distance of 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Safety glass. (1g) In this section, “safety glass” means glass so treated or combined with other materials as to reduce, in comparison with ordinary sheet glass or plate glass, the likelihood of injury to persons by objects from external sources or
by such glass when it is struck, cracked or broken.

347.43-1s: No person may operate upon a highway any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1936, except a recreational vehicle other than a 5th?wheel recreational vehicle, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used on the motor vehicle in partitions, doors, windows or windshields.

347.43-4 If a common carrier or person operating under a permit or certificate issued by the department is convicted of operating a vehicle in violation of this section, the department may suspend or revoke the permit or certificate until such time as the vehicle has been equipped with safety glass as required by this section.

---

The mirror law should be easy as long as you have a rearview (this is also the reason many jeeps can get away with no doors (they also still have the rearview mirrow.)

The glass law is arguable. I'll admit, I've only had my doors off half a week, and already I'll driven next to/past/around law enforcement vehicles without any problems. I am sure to have my seatbelt on (because it's smart and alot more visible now), and am if mothing else alot more conscious of the road. Without side mirrors, I find myself becoming more observant already, moving my head more and paying attention to other vehicles on the road.

When I can get some more time, I'll post my solutions to the hinge. I tried it one way, and thought of an ingenious new idea today.

-Chris

-p.s.-I've been away from the board for a while, but it's good to be back!
Heads up to all:
USA federal laws require an interior mirror, and a driver's side external mirror, and possibly a passenger side mirror as well.

FMVSS 111-
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.7.11&idno=49
S5. Requirements for passenger cars.
S5.1 Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.
S5.1.1 Field of view. Except as provided in S5.3, the mirror shall provide a field of view with an included horizontal angle measured from the projected eye point of at least 20 degrees, and a sufficient vertical angle to provide a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon beginning at a point not greater than 61 m to the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by the driver and four passengers or the designated occupant capacity, if less, based on an average occupant weight of 68 kg. The line of sight may be partially obscured by seated occupants or by head restraints. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.
S5.1.2 Mounting. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support for the mirror, and shall provide for mirror adjustment by tilting in both the horizontal and vertical directions. If the mirror is in the head impact area, the mounting shall deflect, collapse or break away without leaving sharp edges when the reflective surface of the mirror is subjected to a force of 400 N in any forward direction that is not more than 45° from the forward longitudinal direction.
S5.2 Outside rearview mirror—driver's side.
S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.
S5.2.2 Mounting. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support for the mirror, and neither the mirror nor the mounting shall protrude farther than the widest part of the vehicle body except to the extent necessary to produce a field of view meeting or exceeding the requirements of S5.2.1. The mirror shall not be obscured by the unwiped portion of the windshield, and shall be adjustable by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions from the driver's seated position. The mirror and mounting shall be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury.
S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side. Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions.
S5.4 Convex mirror requirements. Each motor vehicle using a convex mirror to meet the requirements of S5.3 shall comply with the following requirements:
S5.4.1 When each convex mirror is tested in accordance with the procedures specified in S12. of this standard, none of the radii of curvature readings shall deviate from the average radius of curvature by more than plus or minus 12.5 percent.
S5.4.2 Each convex mirror shall have permanently and indelibly marked at the lower edge of the mirror's reflective surface, in letters not less than 4.8 mm nor more than 6.4 mm high the words “Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.”
S5.4.3 The average radius of curvature of each such mirror, as determined by using the procedure in S12., shall be not less than 889 mm and not more than 1,651 mm.
S6. Requirements for multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses, other than school buses, with GVWR of 4,536 kg or less.
S6.1 Each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck and bus, other than a school bus, with a GVWR of 4,536 kg or less shall have either—
(a) Mirrors that conform to the requirements of S5.; or
(b) Outside mirrors of unit magnification, each with not less than 126 cm2 of reflective surface, installed with stable supports on both sides of the vehicle, located so as to provide the driver a view to the rear along both sides of the vehicle, and adjustable in both the horizontal and vertical directions to view the rearward scene.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-19-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
I'm still am runnin' mine all summer long ..