Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st gen rear cargo panel questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks great! I'm excited to replace mine as well. I just sent the shifter lever of a t-case through the side of mine. I'm probably gonna use plywood and build a sub box into the side by the roll bar, and move the 6x9's to where the little storage areas are by the back seat.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
RAD4Runners Rear Body Panel Storage...

I cleaned up the Inner Rear Body Panel some more by tucking harness as tight as possible behind the middle beam, to use as storage. Will replace quarter panels with ones that will allow access to the whole width of openings.
I have 1/4-inch polycarbonate sheets but I think foam-backed and vinyl-wrapped wood panel will be lighter and provide better noise insulation.
Pics taken while in-process.
I deleted rear windshield system. May re-purpose windshield washer/pump into water storage / pump system.
Bottle jack storage and handle extension rod will be re-installed.

MADE REPLACEMENT PANEL/DOOR

PANEL / DOOR
Used black Plexiglas that I have lying around. If it turns out to be too fragile, I'll replace with clear Polycarb that I also have that I'll paint black. (D-Ring tie-down is reflected on glossy material)

NEEDS A LATCH MECHANISM
It will latch on to lip of body panel. I don't need it to be locking, yet. I a want minimal, low-bulk, low-cost solution. Would appreciate your inputs.

WORKS LIKE MARY POPPINS' MAGIC BAG

Front section beside the roll-bar will be next. Same concept.

keywords: rearbodypanelstorage

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-24-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:10 PM

Roll-Bar Storage Pouch

To utilize area bounded by the roll-bar and the wheel-well...
BTW: NOT A GOOD IDEA TO STORE FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON ROLL-BAR. In case of a fire, most likely in engine compartment, power would probably go out and leave rear window inoperable for accessing extinguisher. I plan to relocate, maybe along transmission hump next to passenger's left leg.

Dimensions in case you want to make your own. This is for the front and sides of the pouch. Just make one that's 11" x 9.25" x 12.625" x 15.5" (PLUS your choice of seam width) for the rear panel.
(I used 0.25-inch for seams. Your option to use different width.):

Made template out of Shopping Bag... (Pls note that I revised dims to show 0.75 inch for the "Draw-cord collar" at the opening just for flexibility.)

I prefer to hand stitch seams.

Doubled Up Hook side of the velcro straps...

Put "Loop" patches on the roll-bar to help keep pouch in place:

VOILA!...
Easy to remove to access more storage space in body compartment behind it. Right now I just have thick foam that's my template for final body panel replacement (possibly vinyl-wrapped plywood).

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-12-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Excellent use of storage space RAD!

And a handy place to store the FSM too!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
just to let people know .. we build fiberglass replacements .. much better then the OE plastic pieces .

The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (06-12-2020)
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker
just to let people know .. we build fiberglass replacements .. much better then the OE plastic pieces .

What is the wait time on those?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM

stupid wait time ..
but I am looking for my own building .. I am relocating , so hopefully I will soon be able to elevate the back order situation .
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (06-12-2020)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have rolled around the idea for a long time and haven't decided on a good solution. My best suggestion is decide what you need most. Speakers? Subwoofers? Storage? Good looks? How much time/vs money? I think the diamond plate looks awesome but, cost of material and ease of working with it has kept me away. I NEED to have decent sound but I can't afford to lose much storage space. I haven't built it yet but, my goal would be to use the open body panels and some doors to create as much storage as possible. No one solution is best, you really have to evaluate your needs. For me this is a family adventure vehicle so it needs storage.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by stovetop36
... I can't afford to lose much storage space. I haven't built it yet but, my goal would be to use the open body panels and some doors to create as much storage as possible. ..For me this is a family adventure vehicle so it needs storage.
Yes, maximum opening access entire space inside the body panel for minimum expense. This^^^ way.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-30-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker
stupid wait time ..
I wanted to pull the trigger on a set of these, how many weeks in "stupid"? Or are we talking months?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I wanted to pull the trigger on a set of these, how many weeks in "stupid"? Or are we talking months?
If you already have some panels you could just coat them with a fiberglass resin to stiffen them up.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:13 AM

I'm actually trying to replace a missing one... The one I have is in great condition, but I haven't had any luck finding a driver-side panel yet. Just as soon replace them both with fiberglass ones if I can get them.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 AM

Yeah, those fiberglas ones are very nice!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:34 AM

right now ~ 3-4 months deposit required .

Originally Posted by se7enine
If you already have some panels you could just coat them with a fiberglass resin to stiffen them up.
there is NO strength in resin

I'm actually trying to replace a missing one... The one I have is in great condition, but I haven't had any luck finding a driver-side panel yet. Just as soon replace them both with fiberglass ones if I can get them.
as above , if you do want some , give yourself lots of time , we are very busy .
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

NEEDS A LATCH MECHANISM
It will latch on to lip of body panel. I don't need it to be locking, yet. I a want minimal, low-bulk, low-cost solution. Would appreciate your inputs.
Nice work RAD
Is this the bsic idea on the latch?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-T...QAAOSwx5RanL9C
Old 06-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I prefer the OEM look but this guy on Facebook makes these out of metal for $200/pair. He also makes door cards and tailgate panels. People seem to love his work. You have to join Facebook to see this. You can join with a fake name. Eddie's Custom Designs
https://www.facebook.com/TOYOTAS.4.L...egory_pyml_rhc
Old 06-01-2018, 11:55 AM

I prefer the OEM look, too, but that guy makes some really nice stuff! I'm already neck-deep in making new door panels and side panels, so I'll just go with the fiberglass ones from Slacker. My 4Runner is a trail vehicle, so the wait time isn't really an issue for me. You'll be hearing from me, Slacker, very soon.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Nice work RAD
Is this the bsic idea on the latch?...
.Craftsman-Tool-Box-Lock-Chest-Key-Storage-Truck-Safe-Cylinder-Chrome
Yes
But debating whether to use keyed or one with heftier twist handle. Although I could simply leave the key on the lock/latch
​​​​​Then, I'll set ut up so when I want to leave it open longer, like when I'm working on something, Ill hang it from my "tie-up" points right above.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Sounds/looks like Yotatech's very own RustED

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-01-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes
But debating whether to use keyed or one with heftier twist handle. Although I could simply leave the key on the lock/latch
​​​​​Then, I'll set ut up so when I want to leave it open longer, like when I'm working on something, Ill hang it from my "tie-up" points right above.
I was trying to figure out what it would be called without a lock and came up with
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I was trying to figure out what it would be called without a lock and came up with
https://www.amazon.com/Thumb-Latch-C.../dp/B007JGWVDM
Yes, similar but simpler....
Camco Cam Cabinet Latch
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen rear cargo panel questions-camcocamlock.jpg   1st gen rear cargo panel questions-camcocamlock_dims.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1st gen rear cargo panel questions