Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st Gen: Passenger Seat Mod - Extend The Seat Track

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen: Passenger Seat Mod - Extend The Seat Track

not saying my family has fat a**es, but everyone would like a little more room when trying to get into the back seat. passenger seat works as it should (pull the lever up>seat bends forward>seat moves forward about 10 inches); however, we would like to find a replacement seat (or seats - driver side) so that when the seat lever is pulled, the passenger seats slides a lot more forward than it currently does. any suggestions? perhaps keep the seats but replace the tracks?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Might be time to move to a 4 Door 4Runner !!!

Since your asking you must not have the skills to do this Fabrication

First decide if you want to change seats .

I am sure there are other options this is the way I would go.

Once you know what seats your using either make or scrounge more track for the seats you pick

It needs to be the same if you want the same amount of room to the rear over just moving the complete seat assemble front.

Fabricate new front attachment points keeping every thing on the same plane so the slider works like it should

That is the basics not doubt some refining will be needed
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Passenger side seat slides forward on the tracks all the way forward when you release the seat. Driver's side does not to retain your adjustment settings. Pull the front bar, move the see all the way forward and pull the release to tilt the back forward. It should go about the same distance as the passenger side, it just doesn't do it automatically.

If you have to do this all the time, a 2nd or 3rd gen 4runner might be a better option for you. The biggest thing you'll miss out on those is the removable top unless you have a 85 or older 4x4, then you'll be switching to IFS instead of solid front axle.

As for other bucket seats that fit, I think most pickup seats interchange atleast to some extent, some car seats I've read as fitting too (supra comes to mind). I'd think the car seats might be the best option if you can find the info on how they operate for getting in the back seat and some measurements on the track length/mounting points.

Modifying the tracks isn't really the greatest idea, but maybe mounting the seat forward or backward further could be an option, but it still won't auto slide forward on the driver's side unless you figure a simple way to release it. Maybe taking some parts from a passenger seat and "converting" the driver's side seat to function the same way is possible. You'd have to reset the seat position every time you got behind the driver's seat though which is kind of a pain.