86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen 4Runner ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen 4Runner ripoff

Hey there Yotatech, long-time-lurker but first-time-poster here. I could use some of your knowledge... apologies in advance for the possible long post.

I currently drive a 1993 XtraCab with a 3L V6. Since I bought it, I have dramatically improved both gas mileage and power from that engine (which as you probably know, isn't great with the 3VZE but it's better now than when I got it). Most of the "modifications" I made to it were basically just tuning, tweaking screws here and there every few weeks to make minor improvements, and changing the exhaust to a cat/straight pipe (old muffler was full of rust). Normal improvements, nothing really drastic like oversized cams, boring, none of that stuff.

Now I love the pickup, but I've *secretly* always wanted a 1st Gen 4Runner. Much of the usability of a truck, along with having 4 actual seats and the removable top are all really cool, not to mention the 1st Gens are some of the sexiest cars on the road. Living in Arizona, the top could be off that thing for a good 3/4 of the year, if not longer, and it would be a really fun ride.

Late last week a white one popped up on CL pretty close to me at a used car dealership. I was in heaven, as it is basically the EXACT 4Runner I would build if I could pick all the options I want: 4WD, 5Spd, 3.0, IFS, everything, even down to the color, interior, sunroof, and little triangle cigarette windows up front. Long story short, I got him down to $4100 for it, which is a lot, but it's practically in mint condition body, frame, and interior-wise.

So that brings me to the test drive... Suspension: great. Steering: great. Tested rear window: works. Turned on original radio: sounds good as new. Accelerate from a red light or stop sign: GUTLESS. Absolutely no power whatsoever. Even in 1st gear, 2nd gear, it's like nothing is there.

I remembered when I got my 3.0 pickup that it lacked power. I remembered thinking "wow, this is slow for a V6." I had previously owned a 3.0 V6 Ford Ranger, and even that was quicker. But, I got my pickup tuned up, got rid of unnecessary restraints on it, and now it's noticeably better. But I don't remember it ever being as slow as this 4Runner. It honestly turned all of my excitement into worries about whether or not I would be able to get it to the mechanical condition of my truck. I'll have to sell my current truck to pay off this 4Runner if I were to buy it, but I don't want to trade something in as good a shape as my current truck for something as silly as gaining 4 seats and a removable top. The reliability and usefulness of my current truck is way too much to trade if this 4Runner is going to be a lot of trouble.

My questions are: Are all 1st Gen 4Runners that slow? I attributed it to the possibilities of the engine not being properly tuned up, the heavier body of the 4runner slowing it down, the fact that it had no engine modifications at all... but could it really be THAT slow? I feel like people with the 22Rs don't even have this much of a problem . I am thinking it may have compression issues or something like that, and if it is I don't really have the time to put into it right now, but what else could it be other than tuning? Is this car going to be a ripoff for $4100?

Any opinions on the matter from other 1st Gen owners is really appreciated. I would love to join the *exclusive* club of 1st Gen 4Runners!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles?

You and I sound very similar, I've also been tweaking and modding and I'm pretty happy about where my Pickup is at, even with 284k miles on it. It used to run like a "3.SLOW" when I first got it.

I don't know if it's possible, but if you could get a compression check it could tell you if there's anything serious. You might have a cynlinder with bad compression, meaning valves out of adjustment or worse, piston ring damage. Then $4100 would be a ripoff. Or, it could just be all the tweaks needed like what you did before. I'd say if it's sub 150k miles that would generally not be the case. You might also want to check the exhaust... any hint of smoke or a sweet smell would be a blown Head Gasket.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM

well it is iand it isnt, i have the 22re 4runner and its slow like 0-60 in 20 to 30 seconds slow but at the same time it really wasnt meant to be a super car like a ferrari or something its ment for crawling around which its good at. ive never had a 3.0 but everything ive read seems like its about as fast as the 22re but with worse gas milage and you get to go up hills without having to down shift first. i honestly dont mind going slow it keeps me out of trouble but maybe someone with a 3.0 will chime in
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
These are 4 and 6 cylinder trucks which are not power houses anyway, but it sounds like something is off. You have the same drivetrain now and have an idea of about how much power the 3.0 has, and the runner being a ittle heavier shouldnt make that much more of a difference.

Price is probably a little high but not much in my opinion, but if it is about the exact truck and options you would of picked back in 89, I would over look that and the condition it is in. At $4100, it would be worth it to me to have a mechanic to check it out and see compression or other issues even if it cost me a few bucks out of my pocket for him to check it.

If you do get it, regardless of price, I treat it as if it was not well taken care of and go thru it from one end to the next with tune up and whatever else that is going to need fix. A good tune up is expensive in its self.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Run the VIN to Toyota and they will tell you if the recall was done on it.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Run the VIN to Toyota and they will tell you if the recall was done on it.
I already did that, there are no outstanding recalls on that vehicle. I did the same with my '93 when I bought it. And as for checking it over front to back I definitely do that- even with my last truck which I bought from a really good friend.

The 4Runner has got 214k on it, but for some reason it doesn't concern me all that much: my truck just rolled over to 210k, and is in excellent shape, but I know it's been well taken care of. The condition of the rest of this 4runner leads me to believe that it's been decently cared for, so I'm not sure why the engine would be any exception.

The stealer-ship did recently replace valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and I *think* a fuel filter/pump (though I'm not sure on the last one), so maybe they neglected to check ignition timing or spark plug gap, or something stupid like that, causing some of the power to be lacking. I'm just not sure. It felt like I was back in my '87 Volvo 244 from high school, with its little 1.4L four-banger pushing a 3700 pound tank.

Definitely didn't feel like it would be enough power to go wheel in. Felt like even going up a hill would cause problems... Any other 3.0 1st Gen drivers have this problem?

Also just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the responses!

Last edited by AZ-YOTA; 09-13-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Here is the link the to CL ad. There is also a link to the dealership site with more pics of the interior.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/4057387868.html

Definitely got a saggy butt... And those little tires on 14s gotta go...
Old 09-13-2013, 09:35 AM

I have an 89 4runner and it was gutless with the 3.0. Not any worse than a newer pickup though. Maybe the ignition timing is off. Seen many times when someone sets timing on a truck with a bad tps and it throws it way off.
You can check for a dead cylinder by cranking the engine with the efi fuse removed. Listen carefully for a variation in cranking speed. If you want to know what it should sound like, check your 93 first, then pull a plug and crank it. The difference in sound is obvious.
Not as good as a real compression test, but better than nothing if you have no other options.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM

$4100 seems really high though. I paid 1500 for mine and it was just as clean as that one.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
You can check for a dead cylinder by cranking the engine with the efi fuse removed. Listen carefully for a variation in cranking speed. If you want to know what it should sound like, check your 93 first, then pull a plug and crank it. The difference in sound is obvious.
Not as good as a real compression test, but better than nothing if you have no other options.
I'll definitely have to try that. One of the reasons this particular 4Runner appeals to me so much is because it's the same engine, tranny, and suspension as my current ride, and I already know it so well that getting another one would be just perfect. All the engine/suspension mods I was planning for my truck could go right on this one.

I was joking with my buddies that I could buy it and just swap motor for motor, and sell my old truck with the crappier motor in it
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
sounds like something's wrong to me, i'd get the compression checked. if thats ok, then its probably just some small issues. i know those things have a crapload of vaccum lines so might be something simple like that.
personally i'd just pull the 3.0 and put in a 3.4. easy swap and hardly any modification required.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by AZ-YOTA
Here is the link the to CL ad. There is also a link to the dealership site with more pics of the interior.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/4057387868.html

Definitely got a saggy butt... And those little tires on 14s gotta go...
That does look really clean... I'd be tempted as well! I do have the Xtra cab but I wish I had got a 4Runner for the 5 seats.

It's in such great shape on the interior/exterior that it might just be worth buying... but I'd really look into that compression check first. If there's a way to pay a mechanic to come out and look at it, that would be worth the money.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM

$4100 seems really high though. I paid 1500 for mine and it was just as clean as that one.
I know it's high. that's part of what concerns me, but out here in Phoenix, even crappier ones (rock rash, beat to hell interiors, etc) go for upwards of 3500 easily. The other one I was looking at with a 22RE barely has any paint, looks like it was really abused, interior is all torn up, and they are asking $4500 for it...

It's a really cool car to have in AZ though because of the nice weather, and way cooler than a Jeep Wrangler... so people ask quite a bit for them. I'm jealous of all the northerners and east coasters who post "YEAH DUDE I GOT MINE FOR $800 and it ROCKS!!!"
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Here's mine
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...r-swap-242658/
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Don't buy it! You would be much happier buying from a private seller save allot of money also. I would also recommend getting one with a 22re, way easier to work on. I have owned 4 1st gen 4runners two where 22re manual trans one 22re auto trans and one 22ret i did a manual swap on, ideal would be a 87 Sr5 turbo, and do a manual swap, super easy. I''ve never paid over 1400 for any 1st gen 4runner including my Sri turbo. And the 87 1st gens have the altimeter and pitch and yaw gauge on the dash,

And I live in fairbanks alaska where toyota sell for double book value
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
personally i'd just pull the 3.0 and put in a 3.4. easy swap and hardly any modification required.
I would love to do that, and if I don't get the Runner I'll probably be doing it to my pickup, but can't really spend the time for that sort of intensive modification. I wish... someday...

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff that makes me wish I could find one that clean for that cheap. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Wouldn't have to start threads like this if I was in that situation...

Probably wouldn't have to sell my truck to pay for it, either.

Originally Posted by 87t4rtutbo
I would also recommend getting one with a 22re, way easier to work on.
My dad's got an '86 pickup with the 22R, and I've rebuilt that thing for him about 5 or 6 times. Pushing 300k and still going strong, those things are a cakewalk to repair, and boy do they last. I would consider it, but I have really been digging the 3.slow since I have had it in my truck, and switching to a vehicle with exactly the same engine/tranny setup as what I currently have just makes things easy.

Last edited by AZ-YOTA; 09-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Just hold out and keep looking. Unless you can get them down to $2500. 1st gens with a v6 aren't all that common but they do pop up from time to time
Not as clean, but a LOT cheaper!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4032917014.html
Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM

No pics
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4021929323.html
Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM

I'm local to you. If you want some help with a pre-purchase inspection let me know! I have a shop in North Phoenix. Been getting paid to wrench on yotas for 15 years
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM

I'm local to you. If you want some help with a pre-purchase inspection let me know! I have a shop in North Phoenix. Been getting paid to wrench on yotas for 15 years
Haha, there you go! Now that's service! Looks like you got your answer on whether to buy that one or not.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen 4Runner ripoff