86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 Pickup / Isuzu 4JB1-TC 2.8TD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Pickup / Isuzu 4JB1-TC 2.8TD Conversion

Hey Folks, first time posting, but I have been lurking on here and gathering info.

I am thinking about doing a diesel conversion with a stock 1995 JDM 4x4 Toyota Pickup Xtra Cab with IFS and ABS. 121" wheel base.

Everything thus far looks very possible. My big question for you all, if anyone knows.. do I stand a chance of avoiding a body lift? I would not want a SAS.

Note: I haven't bought the truck, motor or trans yet.. you are allowed to tell me to not proceed with the project

Regarding my overall plan for the swap:

First, I am new to working on vehicles. My only experience is a '84 Isuzu Diesel P'UP that I have had for two years and have a pretty good understanding of the C223. With that said, I am trying to come out with a plan that is as simple as possible and maintains as much of the stock Toyota pickup as possible. I am also shooting for MPGs and longevity of both the motor and truck.

My plan ideal plan is to get that motor and trans in there while not messing with the transmission crossmember. I would use the original mounting bracket from the MUA5 and hope I can bolt it up to the crossmember with a bit of changes to the bracket. As for engine mounts, there seems to be some options (this is confirmed in Isuzu Forums). Possibly the 4JB1T brackets, '88+ Isuzu pickup brackets, the Toyota's or fab something up.

Then, honestly, I am hoping it is as simple as putting U joint adapters on the driveshafts, possibly shortening the rear driveshaft (WOULD IT HAVE TO BE 'LENGTHENED'???).
Rear axle would be 3.5ish:1 and front axle would be 2.28:1 and I would like to use 29 to 30" tires.

As for wiring and such, I wont get into that since I am fairly confident I will end up making that work one way or another (but will ABS be difficult to hook up?)

If anything sticks out as a red flag here, I would greatly appreciate insight or if you have heard about someone doing this type of conversion, I would greatly appreciate knowing.

I have been researching for a straight week and can't find any of these conversions with Toyota pickups.

Thank you in advance. Again, I am new to all this, so if there are things that don't make a whole lot of sense, pardon me, I'm learning here! Cheers!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if it is helpful or interests anyone, herebis the shop manual i stumbled upon.