Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1995 4runner will not engage into 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the relay is by the brake pedal area, i only found it cause mine was clicking back and forth but i wasnt getting 4wd. just to see put it in 4wd and then apply 12 volts to the blue side i think is the 4wd side and see if the light comes on.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin_4runner
the relay is by the brake pedal area, i only found it cause mine was clicking back and forth but i wasnt getting 4wd. just to see put it in 4wd and then apply 12 volts to the blue side i think is the 4wd side and see if the light comes on.

do you remember which one? there is 5-6 down there lol
Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM

mine is right next to the ebrake bar, on a tab and it looks just like the fuel pump relay, i switched mine before and now have the fuel pump relay in its spot.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM

The fuel pump relay is right there next to the ebrake handle. is there another spot right over there that maybe im just not seeing it?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

that is the relay for the add... look at the link, see if when its running put ur finger on it and see if its clicking

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...c/relayloc.pdf
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM

well I stuck my head under there. If i turn the ignition to on that relay does not click. it also does not do anything if i shift into 4h. so ill go take it out tomorrow and test to see what i get.

That diagram doesnt exactly match what im seeing. This relay that is marked fuel pump is a rather large relay in physical size. does that sounds about right?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM

yeah its a larger size relay, what u could do is just pull that one and the fuel pump one and switch them, if it wont start or run fuel that one is bad,
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM

im just gonna bench test it. ive got PSU's laying around. good idea tho.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM

how do you get that freaking relay to come out??? ive bent, twisted pulled, everything short of breaking it trying to get it off....
Old 12-03-2011, 01:44 PM

So the ADD relay doesny have power at all. From the schematics im assuming the 2wd valve has power at all times. well according to my testing that is not the case. Bad wire? am i missing something like a fuse somewhere?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM

black orange should be the power wire. and it says there is a 10 amp fuse. and from what i was looking at the gauge fuse powers the add system
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

yeah i agree on the 10a gauge cluster fuse...its all good on that side. looks like im gonna make my own wire to it.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM

i would run a test wire from battery and see what happens before u try and do all the work and it not still work out like it should.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM

thats the plan
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Looks like the relay is bad. seems like an odd part to go out.

Heres what i know so far.

Xfer case switch works as its supposed to
Both valves actuate and vacuum flows through both
There is power getting to the relay, i ran my own power to it
The grounds on the wires at the relay match up to the ground on the valves
Relay does not click at all either way going into 4wd or 2wd and i cant get it off the truck so i can bench test it ( cant see enough to figure out what is holding it on).

Im through process of elimination, that leaves the relay. anything else i may be missing?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM

it is a pain in the butt relay to get off, i dont remember how i got mine out but i have had it out and had a hell of a fight but if u know its bad then if u brake it getting it out and not destroying the wires. but it looks like u have gone threw everything else to eliminate items that are still good vs bad... but i think u found the problem just need to get it out and replace it.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having problems with my ADD system as well. This is the second time in six months.

Is there a downside from eliminating it outright?

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

Will this effect fuel economy? Will it make things up front more prone to wear?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
I'm having problems with my ADD system as well. This is the second time in six months.

Is there a downside from eliminating it outright?

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

Will this effect fuel economy? Will it make things up front more prone to wear?
Do that and swap out the front drive flanges for manual locking hubs and you'll have a good setup. Hubs unlocked and you'll have less wear and tear than now and it'll be more reliable to boot.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Do that and swap out the front drive flanges for manual locking hubs and you'll have a good setup. Hubs unlocked and you'll have less wear and tear than now and it'll be more reliable to boot.

Fortunately for me when I bought the truck I had to drive it from Vancouver to Yellowknife and had a lot of work done to make it safe and reliable. One of those things included manual hubs!

I had it in 4 wheel drive for the past few weeks then took it out leaving the hubs locked. Two days later I could not get it back into 4x4 mode. I'm wondering if it's the cold?

Anyway, this is the second time in six months I've had to get into it. First time a shop did the repair because I'm very new at all this never having worked on a vehicle before.

The instructions seem pretty straight forward and I happen to have diff oil in the garage as I was planning to change out both diff oils for the cold climate. Probably have water in there from the summer and having it freeze and expand could be bad......

Anyway, the clamp. Is it just a metal hose clamp I can get from the hardware store?

What do I cap the hoses with? I'll head out to the shop once I know.

Really appreciate your help!

Last edited by Red Wagon; 12-15-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
Fortunately for me when I bought the truck I had to drive it from Vancouver to Yellowknife and had a lot of work done to make it safe and reliable. One of those things included manual hubs!

I had it in 4 wheel drive for the past few weeks then took it out leaving the hubs locked. Two days later I could not get it back into 4x4 mode. I'm wondering if it's the cold?

Anyway, this is the second time in six months I've had to get into it. First time a shop did the repair because I'm very new at all this never having worked on a vehicle before.

The instructions seem pretty straight forward and I happen to have diff oil in the garage as I was planning to change out both diff oils for the cold climate. Probably have water in there from the summer and having it freeze and expand could be bad......

Anyway, the clamp. Is it just a metal hose clamp I can get from the hardware store?

What do I cap the hoses with? I'll head out to the shop once I know.

Really appreciate your help!
Article says "hose clamp or CV boot clamp", that would be as you surmise.

You can buy vacuum caps at the auto parts store, I picked up an assortment years ago, they just slide onto the ends of the hose barbs (red caps in the photo below):

Or you could just shove a golf tee or screw into the end of the disconnected vacuum lines and tape it in place.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-15-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 1995 4runner will not engage into 4wd