86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 pickup getting stuck in 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 pickup getting stuck in 4wd?

I've noticed something over the last few days that's kind of worrying me. Maybe this is what it's meant to do but I figured I'd ask (I searched a bit but didn't find much directly relating to this).

If I put my truck (1994 pickup with ADD) in 4HI, it'll drive fine until I make a real hard turn. If I'm hitting the steering stops and I gas it, it's like the whole driveline siezes up. It feels like someone's yanked on the parking brake. If I put in the clutch and coast, the truck stops almost immediately, and it's real hesitant to move forward. If I try to put it back in 2HI, the lever is incredibly hard to move, and it won't come out of 4HI until I straighten out the steering and drive a few feet (there's a clunk and the relay for the dash light clicks and then everything's fine again). If I keep it in 4HI it'll sort itself out after ten feet or so of driving straight.

Is this normal? It doesn't seem so..

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Isaac

edit: I searched google and it seems I have a typical case of driveline binding. Note to self, stop playing with 4wd on pavement. Find a gravel patch.

Last edited by isaac338; 10-11-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not realy sure whats happening but if im in 4HI and i take a turn i feel like my front and rear end are locked (like with a locker) i get a little squeak from the tires and my truck feels like it wants to go straight. not sure if this helps.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 PM

well i know that if you put in in 4wd on pavement it will be very hard to drive it. and with ADD sometimes its hard to get it out of 4wd. ive never tryed to take mine out of 4wd with the wheel turned all the way, my suggestion.... dont do that no mo!!!with add sometimes you have to rock back and forth and drive a lil before it disengages. that is how mine is and thats what the toyota tech i bought my truck from tells me.

try driving normal, not flooring it and not with the wheel turned all the way. see what happens there.

i know how it acts on pavment cuz the other day i got this bright idea to put in the 4wd and drive over a curb real easy. went over easy. but it was kinda hard to get it out of 4wd, i had to take it out and drive it about 15 feet and it got out.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by curly_c
well i know that if you put in in 4wd on pavement it will be very hard to drive it. and with ADD sometimes its hard to get it out of 4wd. ive never tryed to take mine out of 4wd with the wheel turned all the way, my suggestion.... dont do that no mo!!!with add sometimes you have to rock back and forth and drive a lil before it disengages. that is how mine is and thats what the toyota tech i bought my truck from tells me.

try driving normal, not flooring it and not with the wheel turned all the way. see what happens there.

i know how it acts on pavment cuz the other day i got this bright idea to put in the 4wd and drive over a curb real easy. went over easy. but it was kinda hard to get it out of 4wd, i had to take it out and drive it about 15 feet and it got out.
I agree with his statement. Don't do it anymore. It is normal though. 4WD was not meant to be used on the street.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:32 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never ever drive with 4wd on regular paved roads, only softer grounds, offroad, snow, etc.

If you read your manual it explictly states this..

Anyway it is probably hard to disengage b/c the wheels are turned.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM

Sharp turns on the street w/4WD puts the frame in a bind.....you may damage parts.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by curly_c
I also agree 100%
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's because you don't have an open center differential on your truck. Your front and rear differentials may be open, but your front is locked to your rear. When you are driving straight, the path that your front wheels and rear wheels take is the same, so all wheels require the same number of revolutions to follow that path. When you are turning sharply either left or right, your front wheels go through a longer path than your rear wheels do, so your front wheels require more revolutions than your rear wheels do. This can't happen unless some wheels spin when you don't have an open center differential, and it takes a lot of torque to make wheels spin on dry pavement. So unless you are applying that torque (which is really hard on a driveline in this configuration), you will feel binding.

That being said, an open center differential allows for this to happen with no binding. Without an open differential, when you're driving on slippery surfaces, and turning sharply while in 4WD, your front wheels will spin slightly to compensate for them needing more revolutions due to their longer travel path, so it's no problem in sand/snow/ice.

My 2002 4R has an open center differential that can be locked via a button in the cab, so I can drive it in 4WD on dry pavement as long as the center's not locked (I also have open front and rear differentials). For the older trucks/4Rs, such as my '93 4R (and your '94), with no selectable center differential, you shouldn't drive it on dry pavement unless you are going straight.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 10-12-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Yota82
I agree with his statement. Don't do it anymore. It is normal though. 4WD was not meant to be used on the street.

IT was, but when your tires will have some give, i.e. snow, rain, ice, etc.

why do they make $45000 4wd suvs? so people can go wheel them?cmon man

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 10-12-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Your lucky you didnt grendae a xcase, diff, or CV... thats a major major NO NO... even on wet pavement you can still brake parts. When you turn a corner all 4 tires travel a different distance, when you put it in 4wd you are forcing the front and rear to cover the same amount of gound.. they dont hence the binding.. the binding on the drivetrain is what makes it hard to shift.. like opening a jammed door after a horrific wreck...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
IT was, but when your tires will have some give, i.e. snow, rain, ice, etc.

why do they make $45000 4wd suvs? so people can go wheel them?cmon man
You're talking about AWD man, there's a big difference.