Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1993 Pickup rear lift springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Pickup rear lift springs

Ive already done my research on the front suspension lift. I have my list of components and Im good to go there.

The trick in the sick world of internet searches is finding a rear lift to match the eventual 2.5" lift I am aiming for in the front of the truck.

I have ruled out blocks from day one. Nobody likes that.

I have heard add-a-leaf kits are both a pain to install and can induce fatigue to aging stock leaf springs.

I do light to moderate recreational off roading so I don't need any crazy 63" chevy springs or relocated brackets or any of that high speed stuff. I want a quality OEM fit, bolt on solution.

I found the Skyjacker soft ride lift spring leaf packs on summitracing.com for $459 a pair. Its a little pricy, but considering buying my BJ spacers and sway bar drop kit for just over $100 puts it in the ball park for the average lift kit online....but saving some $$$ is always a plus. What are my alternatives?

Since I know nothing about complete leaf pack swaps, what can you guys recommend for this?

I have heard Downey springs are really flexible and work well, but wear out quickly and need eventual bolstering or need to be supplimented by reused OEM lower leaves.

Remember, I'm looking to match the 2.5" lift I am about to put on the front.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Hmmm nice to see someone with similar interests!!!
I agree with blocks as a no go but wouldn't be terrified of AALs. As far as best goes I'd say replacement springs, but I don't think I've ever seen any 2.5"lift springs. Downey springs maybe tricky to find as they are no longer in business. You could try 3" springs??? Maybe they could settle out to match the front but if not you could tweak the T-bars up a little. I'm pretty sure Trail Gear makes 3" springs. And if your feeling ballsy get you some Alcan $prings!!! However Note the dollar sign in springs lol
Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Well I am getting ready to build a hybrid rear spring pack.. 89-95 rear Toyota springs are 51.5 inches long and 2 3/8s wide. 80-96 2wd f 150 rear springs are 56 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. the idea is to use the Toyota spring perches and main leaf and use the f150 springs for the rest of the pack. the second leaf should be short enough to properly fit the toy leafs. I am heading to the junkyard this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out... if you use 3 or 4 leafs it should get you the 3 inches of lift you were after. depending on overload and other factors....

Last edited by bone collector; 07-29-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shackles plus heavier duty springs (hd springs will reduce add'l flex from shackles, and shackles will add 1/2 to 2/3rd of their length in lift): http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
For a bolt-on solution with no thinking required, you have the option of Old Man Emu leafs. They will give a 2" lift on stock shackles, then longer shackles to get more height if you need it once the front is done. I have them on my 93 and am very happy (OME Dakar medium duty). My front and back measures around 22.5" center axle to bottom of fender. Planning to go about 1/2" higher in rear with shackles when I get around to it due to tire rub when have gear in bed and flexed out (more flex than stock due to triangulated shocks). Front has BJ spacers and minimal tbar adjustment to keep tires from rubbing at max flex while turning.

Edit
Re-reading your post. I would still recommend just 2" OME leafs and skip the swaybar lowering kit. With new leafs on a pickup the rear stabilizes the front fairly well on DD driving, plus the benefit of extra flex. When you lift the front where you want it will definitely stiffen up unless you have a winch/bumper. I took mine off when I did leafs and no looking back the ride improved so much. Theres also a limit to how much you can lift the front IFS before CV angle becomes a problem - whether or not a 3" leaf will match this i cannot say. You should try to find out what people running those leafs have to say about distance between axle center and fender lip or you may have to run a bracket lift to get enough height in front, eww.
OME is also good because you can add rear height with shackles and they won't be ridiculously long shackles unless trying to match a bracket lift, which you're not doing.
As long as you don't get HD version the ride will be great and load bearing benefits are a plus since they are claimed not to sag on you like many aftermarket leafs tend to do, especially the really flexy ones (except alcan due to design).

OME leafs run around $300-350 I think. New leafs (if going to wheel the rig) are a good time to do ubolt flip/shock mount relocation to get a few more inches of clearance underneath the axle as well. OME shocks are recommended to pair with their leafs, but are expensive yet very quality. I don't think the length is much different from stock, but if triangulated you'll get more travel from them at the expense of more body roll on-road. Good luck!

Last edited by highonpottery; 07-30-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM

I know the skyjacker springs for the Broncos and Ranger are very good. My friend has them on his BII and it does great. I would see if you could find some feedback on the skyjackers.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM

I always forget about OME!! Why idk but, I second that as far as no thinking bolt on goes
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sj...ew/make/toyota

These are the springs I found from Skyjacker. The price is enough to make your wallet gag, but I also can't find much on users. All I ever hear is OME, OME, OME. I love their steering stabilizer on my truck, but whenever I look up other parts, its all for 05/07+ Tacomas...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 AM
DRM

What size tire do you plan to run? Slight trimming up front and the right wheel/tire combo and you can run 33's at stock height.

Personally, I'd do a 1/2 or 1" block, some longer rear shackles, and turn the Tbars and/or BJ spacers up front to jey a little lift and run 33's or maybe some 34's if you pick 'em right.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by SLAYfriknBODIES
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sj...ew/make/toyota

These are the springs I found from Skyjacker. The price is enough to make your wallet gag, but I also can't find much on users. All I ever hear is OME, OME, OME. I love their steering stabilizer on my truck, but whenever I look up other parts, its all for 05/07+ Tacomas...
http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-em...ta-pickup.html
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM

I dont know what the limit is, but some shops around Richmond send the springs for rearc.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM

And what about the T100 springs are they the same height.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM

I dont want to trim my body for larger tires. i have stock gearing and i commute. My solution to making a perfect balance of daily commuter that can tackle a tight trail or two is some agressive 31" tires with a slight lift for an agressive stance, improved ground clearance and a sharp look. I don't want a monster truck that cant accelerate as it "woooooom"s its way down the road buring up gas it doesn't need to....yet.

Last edited by SLAYfriknBODIES; 07-30-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM

So I looked up those OME springs on that website. The legths don't indicate lift height... 43" and 47" I'm guessing that's the legth from center-center shackle mount to shackle mount, correct?

would 43" be a 2WD and 47 be for a 4wd?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-28538.html

I was thinking these, in conjunction with some 4Crawler lift shackles that (with some maths) can add the extra .5" to match my front end. I believe that was what was suggested above?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM

I don't know how accurate it is but I did a search on leaf length and the only guy I found that posted it said 88 plus is 51 ". But i don't know for sure.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM

http://www.generalspringkc.com/default.asp

This is the website I used to find out the different lengths, widths and load capacity of different vehicles
Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
DRM

Originally Posted by SLAYfriknBODIES
I dont want to trim my body for larger tires. i have stock gearing and i commute. My solution to making a perfect balance of daily commuter that can tackle a tight trail or two is some agressive 31" tires with a slight lift for an agressive stance, improved ground clearance and a sharp look. I don't want a monster truck that cant accelerate as it "woooooom"s its way down the road buring up gas it doesn't need to....yet.
I think you're spending more time and possibly more money than you need to just to get 1-2" of lift you don't actually needs to run 31" tires that will fit on there just fine in stock form.

Turn up the Tbars, add some rear shackles, and there is your 1" of lift... cheap.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM
DRM

Originally Posted by fsquared
I don't know how accurate it is but I did a search on leaf length and the only guy I found that posted it said 88 plus is 51 ". But i don't know for sure.
I put this together 10+ years ago... some of it is outdated, but it's got the basics covered as far as Toyota stuff:

http://www.4x4spot.com/spring_swap_info.htm

the 51" rear springs did not start until the 3rd gen trucks in 89. Prior to that were 48".
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM

What size tire are you wanting run? I have some friends that run 33x12.5 x 15 on stock Toyota rims. no lift, no trim no rub...

Quick Reply: 1993 Pickup rear lift springs