Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1993 Pickup 22re > Works great, 3 hours later, very poor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 Pickup 22re > Works great, 3 hours later, very poor?

Hey guys, I am new to these forums. Unfortunately it is due to my Toyota not running very well at the moment.

I drove into work and it was running great. Parked and got back in to get lunch in 3 hours.

It was pretty cold outside (32 deg F) if that matters.

Got back into my truck and was trying to pull out of the parking lot. It goes nearly completely dead above 1/4 throttle or so. If I keep the auto tranny in 1st I can get high enough in the RPMs with 1/4 throttle to jump to second and not kill my momentum.

Up to 1/4 throttle it seem to be pulling really hard. Harder than it should, and ever has in the past. Even one millimeter past 1/4 throttle and the engine just falls flat. Pull back a little and it zooms up in power.

It idles just as it always has.

In park, I can rev the engine all the way with no issues.

It's only when under load that it just falls on its face...

Totally throttle position sensitive symptom.

It can't be the TPS, as it has been disconnected for a long time. I am fully aware that it may or may not cause issues in the long term, but I have met other people running for 6 years straight without TPS just fine. My bad TPS was just killing the engine. If I can get the truck running again, I will replace the TPS.

I am thinking 3 things here:

Kock sensor, but would that be throttle sensitive and not RPM?

Clogged Cat? Wouldn't I have issues revving the engine in park to 5,000 RPM even at 1/4 throttle? Is this possibly throttle related?

Vacuum leak? Would this be throttle position sensitive?

What parts could possible break while the truck is parked? I had to pull hard into the parking lot and it had full power when I parked it.

158,000 miles, original engine. Needs some love all around, so if I can get this $800 (worth) bucket of bolts to at least run back to where I was last week, then it might be worth it putting money into new stuff all around.

Funny thing is that our family has a 1994 Ford Ranger (4 banger) that has over 300,000 miles and never a single issue. Ever. Still like the toyota more but it has been a bit of a lemon in relation to what everyone says about them.

Thanks for any help! I did a bunch of searching and didn't really see anyone else with my exact same symptoms.