Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1991 yota brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 yota brake issues

Hello all, newbie here. I have a question about a brake issue i have got and i'm running out of options except just swapping parts out until i get it fixed which is real expensive. I bought a wreck 1991 4x4 x-cab, frame was bent but i didn;t think it was to bad. After i got it to frame shop, i was looking at around 12 hours of labor time to straighten it which ata 75.00 a hour rate, i decided to swap out frame wiht another one. Now i have it all back together and all parts came off my old frame and was swapped onto new frame. My issue is i was bleeding brakes, and I undid the LSPV under bed and starting bleeding RR,LR,RF,LF procedure and thought i had all air out. My issue my front brakes lock up on both sides. Now i can open bleeder valve and pressure will be reliefed but only till i hit the pedal again. I do know the brakes worked fine on the wreck frame because i drove it down the drive way with everything cut off it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what do you mean lock up??

At What speed?/

Or do you mean your calipers don`t release ??

Till you open the bleeder valve??

How long did they sit Perhaps time for a rebuild.

Now the pads do stay pretty tight against the rotor. without a wheel you might not be able to spin them by hand.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM

The brakes lock up to a point i have to put it in four low to get it to move. Calipers don;t release unitl i open bleeder valve. The truck was wreck one week before i bought it and i've had it down for 3 months doing the frame swap out. I drove the truck down the guys driveway (1/4 mile guessing, long driveway though) and back before i bought it and they seem to work fine. I made up four lines last night and stuck them on bleeder and open them with teh hoses in brake fuild and pump the pedal, refilling M/C as needed until i had pumped 5 resevoirs through the system and brakes felt fine. I dorve it around a city block and before i got half way around they started slowing it down. When i got aorund to garage and stopped it wouldn;t dong anything but spin back tires, had to put in 4 low to pull back into garage. Thanks for replying hope this fills in some of the blanks
Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Something is trapping the fluid in the lines and not allowing the pressure to release when you take your foot off the pedal. I would suspect a stuck valve in the master cylinder. I've heard that kinked or collapsed brake lines can also do that. Check your flexible lines.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM

not knowing if you took anything apart or not, but could you possibly have the lines connected wrong? the lsv at the rear also has a line going up to the front brakes. just a couple of thoughts that came to mind.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 PM

thanks all for your help, I'm going to check the LSV on the rear because i did indeed take that off old frame and install on new frame and i hope i have the two line coming and going from the front crossed. I did have all lines dissconnected at frame on the front but i marked them and reinstalled them correctly,(chekced myself on that last night) i used all lines from old frame to new one. Man i sure hope it's the lines on the LSV. Again thanks so much for your guys help, I will let you knwo what I find..
Old 04-02-2014, 02:24 AM

well found issue, loukbuild was spot on. I had the lines swapped around on teh LSPV in the rear which caused it not release pressure. As soon as i lossen the lines,and got a face full off brake fuild ( which taste awful) i knew that was the point that was holding my pressure. I drove truck around a little bit and brakes seem fine now. Thanks for your guys help.