86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 pickup parts incompatable

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 pickup parts incompatable

Not sure how normal this is but I am running in to this for the first time with my new truck. I have a 02/91 Toyota pickup 2.4 22re 4x4 auto FYI. I ordered new parts for the A/C system and none of them fit. When I ordered them I used 1991 Toyota pickup as a filter so maybe I was wrong to assume they would be the right parts.
To fix this I used 1988 Toyota pickup as a filter and all the parts matched up.

Should there be anything else I should look out for to be this way when replacing parts on the truck?

Have you run into this problem yourself?

Let me know.

Thanks, Robby
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Hummmm.... That is strange.

Do you know if this truck had A/C from the factory?

1884-1988 Trucks had their own system and 1989-1993ish had a very similar system, but the parts were slightly different in size.

Maybe someone added A/C from a 1984-1988 truck or the dealer added A/C from an old "dealer installation" kit for 1984-1988. If you had all the parts to the older style HVAC system, you could install it in the newer trucks and make it work.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:01 PM

It is a deluxe model as far as I can tell from the VIN#. So yes it would have been on there from the factory I assume. Yeah I'm finding out really fast that the previous owner(s) have not taken very good care of this truck. There's been sparkplugs cross threaded, bolt missing from the A/C compressor, shady wiring under the dash, A/C compressor hot wired to the Battery and a toggle switch, back sliding glass pried into. All kinds of shenanigans. Who knows what else I'll find.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by yngbuck19
It is a deluxe model as far as I can tell from the VIN#. So yes it would have been on there from the factory I assume. Yeah I'm finding out really fast that the previous owner(s) have not taken very good care of this truck. There's been spark plugs cross threaded, bolt missing from the A/C compressor, shady wiring under the dash, A/C compressor hot wired to the Battery and a toggle switch, back sliding glass pried into. All kinds of shenanigans. Who knows what else I'll find.
Back in those days a deluxe was basically a "base model". A/C was an option that could be added but it did not come standard.

Given your description of the truck's condition, who knows what was added or pieced together.

I hope you don't find too many more surprises!

Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is a older Toyota one may find anything done to keep it running .

I remember running into two different Compressors during those years.

Just what AC parts were different ??
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is a older Toyota one may find anything done to keep it running .

I remember running into two different Compressors during those years.

Just what AC parts were different ??
A/C Reciever/Dryer and the A/C compressor so far that's it, both are older models from the 1988 trucks. They could be either aftermarket or found in a junkyard and swapped on to the truck for all I know.

Last edited by yngbuck19; 07-30-2017 at 01:42 AM.