Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1991 4 runner need lots of answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Smott,

When I got my 4Runner it was totally gutless. The catalytic converter was original with 150K, hadn't been tuned up in ages, tranny fluid was old but not burnt. I eventually resolved all of the issues and put a good flowing muffler + new catalytic converter on it. It's still underpowered but running 10 times better.

If you're engine is reving up, let's say to around 3K and your not accelerating it sounds like something is slipping in there.

Another bit of info: There is a little button on the side of the gear shifter that turns off the overdrive. Try turning the OD off. If you're driving around town under 50 mph you don't need it. But on the freeway, you need it! Also, the ECT button is for "Extra Cargo Towing" power ( I'm pretty sure). Don't use that either. It just makes the tranny shift into passing gear at a lower rpm. A total gas guzzler.

Hope this helps you. But realize, the 3.0 V-6's are notoriously underpowered. As a Jewish guy from NY told me once, "Underpowered, you're telling me? The volkswagen busses are passing me uphill..." true story.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ECT means electronically controlled transmission. Just an FYI.....
Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smithoman

Hope this helps you. But realize, the 3.0 V-6's are notoriously underpowered. As a Jewish guy from NY told me once, "Underpowered, you're telling me? The volkswagen busses are passing me uphill..." true story.
That sucks... 3vze's really respond well to gearing the diffs low. My truck can easily roast my 33's, decent power till 6,000rpm. Just dosnt sound that nice imo
Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 AM

everyone has been alot of help for me on this. thanks for all the help. im still having issues though. here we go....
getting about 10 to 12 mpg (1 have replacved cap, roter, plugs, wires, and filter and fuel pump.
still no powe but just drove my dads stock 96 sr5 runner and it has way more power then mine and he has more miles.
i tool it to muffler shop and had my exhaust leak fixed and they checked the cat by pounding on it and said it sounded fine..
trany fluid is still bright red and im still way confused...
how can i make is have more power? and what can i do about gas mileage. i already looked at all the posts on here and nothing has helped.
thank you for your time. (so glad i have this forum )
Old 07-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmpf...I also agree and welcome you to the world of the infamous "3.slow".
As you might have noticed through the numerous threads on this site...their isn't a whole lot that can be done to improve power and milage on a 3.0.
Yes,you can do some mods (air intake,headers,upgrade the O2 sensors,good tune up,timing,patient driving,changing final gears,swapping to a 5speed,tire size,proper tire inflation,etc),but even those who have modded their 3.0's didn't gain that much power or gas milage after their mods. Yes,it is time consuming to scan all the threads,but if you really want to know more about your 3.0 and possible mods. Take the time to read through them. They're are a lot of great mechanics on here,that have done some very impressive mods to their rigs.
Btw...you can "slam the gas" all day long. In a 3.0...it's just gonna laugh at ya.
Good luck with your research!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure you timing is correct? Does it seem to be miss firing? Rough idle? Do you know where your EGR valve is on your engine? if not google image it. unplug the vac hose going to it and drive it see if that helps. if it solves everything your egr is bad. if not you got other prob. is there any codes? yes the 3.0 is not a fast engine buts its no wussy engine either she will go if you get down on it. i think your cat may be plugged. I'd say gut out the cat. but check ur egr first.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by SMOTT
hey guys,
i just became a member to this today.. i here nothing but good things so i was hopen to get some help if you dont mined.
i bought i 91 4runner automatic v6 sr5.
it has 156k on it and motor runs fine. but when i push on the gas the rpm's go up but i have no power at all. barly gains speen shifts a little hard as well. i was told this is my torque converter. is that accurate? and if so is it hard or expensive to replace? how do i fined one? i want to stay away from replacing the whole tranny if possible of course.
thank you for your replies, any help is appreciated.

thank you,
steve
SMOTT
HI and welcome...do you have a 4x4 with the hydraulic transfer case?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM

What kinda spark plugs did you put in it?

Your fuel pump maybe on its way out and not supplying enough pressure.

Welcome to YotaTech.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The single most common point of "it has no power" are the knock sensor pigtail (wire) and Throttle Position Sensor "TPS". I'd look REAL HARD at those two before I did anything else besides standard tune-up stuff.

I'm convinced that most folks with "gutless" 3vze engines have one of those problems...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM

thanks dutchboy... i love yotatech. its a little hard to navigate but i will figure it out. im still confused on my dads 96. its got so much more power and its still a stock auto sr5?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM

OK i will check everything noted this weekend and keep everyone posted on my problem. thanks again everyone
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM

knock sensor "pigtail"

TNRabbit:

Where & what is the knock sensor "pigtail" you suggest checking?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SMOTT
thanks dutchboy... i love yotatech. its a little hard to navigate but i will figure it out. im still confused on my dads 96. its got so much more power and its still a stock auto sr5?
Well your dads 96 should have a 3.4l not the 3.0l so that is probably where your difference in power is coming from. But you should look into getting a better more free flowing exhaust, it will really help for power maybe look into a isr mod or "cold air intake" (I know that is not technically correct but its what everybody calls it) system to help get you some more air. Now with the 4runner and the auto you will be slower because you loose more power through the drivetrain with the auto and the 4runner is heaver than a truck. Now I have ported and polished my heads in addition to a full exhaust (headers back) and a K&N intake and my 3.0 can get up and go but it is by no means a race engine. Hope any of this helps.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Headroom
TNRabbit:

Where & what is the knock sensor "pigtail" you suggest checking?

It's located on the driver's side, plugs into the wiring harness near the fuel injectors & runs under the intake manifold to the knock sensor located in the engine block in the valley between the heads. Here's a link to a '93 FSM:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

The knock sensor is located here, upper right corner: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ne/69cylin.pdf

The pigtail is the wire connector from the wiring harness to the sensor.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 07-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

sounds like you are having the same problem i've had in the past and if your cat is plugged the muff shop usually don't detect it... i changed my cat and added a free flow eaust and it was much nicer but the 3.0 is a pain on the freeway imo and i would save for a engine swap
Old 07-10-2009, 03:42 PM

what abouot just taking the cat off? would that hurt gas milage. i know its not the most legal thing to do but i dont really care, i just want it to get up an on ramp lol
Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 AM

It sounds like you're on the right track getting the 3.0 dialed in. Have you considered taking it to a good toyota shop. I don't mean the dealer. Here in AZ there is a place called Greg's Japanese Auto. They are total experts and have really gotten me out of the woods a couple of times. I'm just pondering here but there are adjustments with the throttle body, computer issues and the like. Any one of them could really cause a performance problem.

Let us know if you find something! Good luck :=)
Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 AM

One last thing, I just drove from Phoenix to the SF Bay Area in my 90 and got 19.5mpg. I don't have anything special but am totally tuned.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM

any updates on this?????
Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Hey i know its almost a year later but I was having the same issues with my 3.slow mine also was untouched at 150k miles replaced any componant i could reach got her running better but not any faster or better gas I took it to the shop they said its just the tranny engine combo (3.0 + automatic) then I took it to a 4x4 shop and WHOA! they figured out that my transfer case was staying locked into 4x4 high and all doing the shifter did was engage and disengage the auto hubs and yes it would drop into 4x4 low but in 2x4 trans was still locked in 4hi so i killed 2 birds with one stone and did a 5 speed swap i am now getting 40 miles more a tank 190 miles per tank to 230 per thought i would share that with you

p.s. parts truck with 5 speed $500 sold bad motor in it for $250 axles $250 cat converter $100 auto tranny for $75 to the scrap yard rotors for $20 and so on and body for $150 so as you can see it more than paid for its self

p.s.s now in need of another parts truck 97 or newer for that 3.4 lol

Quick Reply: 1991 4 runner need lots of answers