Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 3.0 4runner Gas in tail pipe and stalling badly

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after it sounded like it was running smooth I took it for a extended ride, and noticed once it shifted (automatic transmission) it would not shift to get longer gear for highway speed, revving to 4000rpm and started cutting out, I luckily limped home and it stalled in the driveway, Im lost as to what it could be?

Could it be the ECM? Does the ecm control shifting?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to thread jack but was a solution to the issue ever found????
I have a very similar issue, I have a 92 4 runner v6 and its not a daily yet just picked up for 800 bucks, but I was told it was an ignitor, found a used one dirt cheap and threw it in and fixed the ignitor code, but I threw a battery in it let it idle for a couple minutes and ran nice and smooth, so I took it out for a test drive in the.neighborhood, drove around a bit on some roads with slight incline then decided to go a bit further, when I turned to go up a good size hill it sputtered a split sec then died, got it stared rolled down.the hill backwards in N then went down the road and when I started up another large hill sake thing again it started back up again like the time before with a little more cranking then initial startup, every time I'd try to just get it in gear bam it'd die immediately then finally got it in reverse and tried to back up and had to go slightly up hill and kept doin it but.long story short by the time I finally got it goin I just drove it extremely slow to my garage and parked it and while in there I got it to die once more but then.couldn't get it to die again backing up and pulling forward in my driveway (level driveway) and btw I had to drive an hour and a half to buy the truck and trailered it home, I believe it only dies under heavy load when hot.because when I pulled it on the trailer I had to do it on a incline because of the previous owners driveway and it went up on it like a champ and it was def under a good bit of load while putting it on the trailer, all I know is previous owner bought the truck with blown head gaskets and repaired it having a machine shop check the heads out and.keep it.mind when cold the engine purrs like a kitten soo nice and smooth and couldn't get it to throw a CEL

Last edited by 92budgetrunner; 01-09-2014 at 07:20 PM.