Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 3.0L Knock Sensor Plug Identification

Old 11-29-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 3.0L Knock Sensor Plug Identification

Hey, So I had code 52 pull up the other day after having it parked for a while. I assumed that it was the broken pig-tail issue at the knock sensor and read about people mounting an auxiliary KS on the engine lift hook as a replacement instead of tearing down the engine, and seeing has how this is mostly a snow plow truck, I'm opting to choose that option. The problem is that Im having issues locating where the plug is going down to the KS. First off, when I first took a look, I was confused why there was housing insulation stuffed underneath the throttle body, It seemed like someone tried to "winterize" the engine at some point, so I started pulling it all out with some needle nose and it turns out it was a birds nest, and the bird was inside, cooked! I'm surprised it never smelled. This kind of confirmed my suspensions on a damaged pig-tail if an animal was in there messing around.

Anyway, back on topic, I found one plug thats in the right location, however its shape is different from the ones if seen in pictures, or on the replacement harnesses you can buy online. Im wondering if Toyota changed the plug type between years. Here are the pictures of the Male and Female ends.

Im just looking for confirmation that this is indeed the right plug so I don't cut into anything unrelated. Also, If the new KS works fine, will the light turn off on its own immediately, or do I need to clear the code myself? Thanks for your time!

MALE END

FEMALE END
Old 11-29-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
This is what the pigtail-harness connector should look like.

You are in the right place, but I don't recognize your connectors.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pictures of the pigtails you took are the knock sensor pigtails.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine is the same connection type for the knock sensor as the OP. I have an '88.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have had both types.
and yes, you will need to clear the codes. pull the battery cable or EFI fuse for >10sec.

Search this Thread