Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989 22r carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if u got a factory carb junk it get u a weber 38 its a 2 barrel carb only has 3 vacuum ports and u can get them diff places aint but about 350 bucks JUNK FACTORY CARB
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by OL SMOKEY
hey guys im new and have recently purchased an 86 pickup 22r. its got me stumped, will idle and run fine for a bit then cut out and die. when started back it idles but when i try to give it gas it dies. i took off the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor and put it back on. it will then fire right up and run like nothings wrong. the truck set for months prior to me getting it(alleast as far as i know). should i rebuild the carb? possible trash?
sounds like a bad fuel filter or even bad gas in the tnak. letting a vehile sit for months with the same gas in it is probably not a good idea.

oh and a weber 38 on a stock motor is probably not a good idea either. 32/36 would be a better choice.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx guys, i thought about dropping the tank and cleaning it along with the carb rebuild. is dropping the tank to clean a hassle? not done that job before.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joeb
if u got a factory carb junk it get u a weber 38 its a 2 barrel carb only has 3 vacuum ports and u can get them diff places aint but about 350 bucks JUNK FACTORY CARB
If you've got nothing to back it up with, then get out.
The aisin carb is one of the best overall stock factory carbs.

I've had my truck on insanely steep ledges with no sputtering to speak of.
The only time i had any issues was when i sucked a bit of water into the intake and saturated my filter.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree with peow, our factory carbs have no electronics that control fuel flow at all and flow quite a bit for extra mods to the truck. They are also better than the webers as far as angles and such go.

I have wheeled with both. the aisin and webers are really close in performence and reliability.

However I think anyone with no carb knowledge your better off having the weber as you will like it better. It's easier to tune, easier to rebuild, less moving parts etc etc. SO I can see how some noobs would come to the conclusion based on those factors that the factory aisin carb is "junk"

only reason I had switched from the aisin to the weber was the fact the aisin had choke problems as I believe the p.o. being a noob to carbs had rebuilt it and fubarred it up to the point the coil in it was unrepairable and I could not find a factory replacement that someone could guarantee would work on my 87 which was around $70-80 anyway. Also some factors were I have a header, free flowing exhaust, no cat and a 268 cam with a full rebuild and 20 over bore with a brand new head. To me it was worth the extra money to just put a brand new carb on an other wise brand new motor. If a refurbished aisin carb did not cost over $400, I would have went that route. But my weber cost me less than $300.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
lol If you look at the FSM it will tell you what the "carburetor computer" does. All it does is control an electronic vacuum switch (or two varying by year) by readings coming from the exhaust probes. (A muffler shop will call them probes and NOT 02 sensors. They are a different design and read differently).

The computer also routes power to the CMH (Cold Mixture Heater), a hot plate that is located underneath the carburetor and disengages after a certain temp. It also provides power to the fuel cut solenoid and the choke coil. It has a diagnostic port (which is weird because there is no check engine light) and is also wired to the ignition system. Yet despite all of this, my truck is running with the computer removed and ALL I have done is install a Weber and delete all unneeded vacuum.

The 22R Aisin carburetor IS a good carburetor when rebuilt. Often times it is the vacuum emissions junk surrounding it that FAIL and lead uninformed 22R owners to assume they NEED a Weber. An hour's worth of reading the Fuel Delivery and Emissions chapters of the FSM will explain everything you could ever know about the stock fuel delivery.

The major failing component on a stock carburetor is the AAP (Auxilary Accelerator Pump) diaphragm. When this busts, fuel becomes sucked into the vacuum lines and the engine runs nice and pig rich. This diaphragm takes a screw driver and 1 minute of your time to replace. I believe it is available in rebuild kits.

Now, in all honesty: I have a Weber. So why do I praise the stock carb? Because for having to comply with CA smog laws, it happens to be a decent carburetor. I don't have to comply with CA smog law anymore, because I'm a clever little snot who spent way too much time reading state and federal DOT laws and finding my loop hole I wanted.
Tell me the loop hole!