86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 pickup starts in morning but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 pickup starts in morning but won't stay running

I just got a new 4wd pickup that had sat for about 2 years and ran great minus a little smoke. However, after running a tank and a half of gas with sea foam through it and a tune up (new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and roller button) it just died going down the road. After towing it home I changed the fuel filter and saw a ton of rusty gas in front of( towards the injectors) and I'm assuming that the injectors are clogged? It will start on ether so I'm thinking it is fuel problem. I pulled the line off the fuel filter and gas is getting to the filter after turning it over. But I just got back from vacation and it sat for 7 days and it cranked right up and ran for about a minute but then died. And I went to try to crank it this morning and it cranked up and ran for about two minutes and then acted like it was running out of gas. I'm just trying to get my head around this problem, could it be the injectors?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, It could be 1 or more injectors acting up.
But before you delve into that try these procedures first.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml
Old 09-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for these troubleshooting tips, I came out and cranked up just now and it has been running pretty good for about 45 minutes now and doesn't sound to bad minus some rough idle. So I'm not sure what it is? But I'll just ride it around the house real close to see if anything else happens, Thanks bud
Old 09-26-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_1988pickup
Thanks for these troubleshooting tips, I came out and cranked up just now and it has been running pretty good for about 45 minutes now and doesn't sound to bad minus some rough idle. So I'm not sure what it is? But I'll just ride it around the house real close to see if anything else happens, Thanks bud
Yep. Sounds like bad gas. I would run seafoam for a couple of tanks.