86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ignition switch swap & High Altitude Compensator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignition switch swap & High Altitude Compensator replacement

Does anyone know if I can pull the old ignition switch out of my 85 Toyota 2x w/ 22r. 5 speed tranny and put it in my 87 Toyota 4x4 w/ 22R engine and 5 speed tranny? Driving down the road my stereo just cuts out, goes dark and comes back on. If I jiggle the ignition back and forth (turning the key) a little bit it solves by problem and the stereo works fine. Looking at it, it looks like the ignition switch is basically held together with a single screw with two plugs connecting it to the wire harness. Anybody done this?

Also I am looking for a High Altitude Compensator that would fit my truck? It appears the 87 had one on it at one time, by my 85 motor never had one hooked up to it. Since I live around 2,500 and travel regularly into the mountains I figured it might be a good thing to put on my truck since it seems to have had it at one time. I have found some on Ebay for about $30, was hoping to do better...

Thanks,

grey
Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Refresh my memory if you don't mind. This High Altitude Compensator (HAC) is a carburetor thing, isn't it? I think I remember having it on my 1984 pick up. I still have my 1984 FSM. Oh, the memories! Had that truck for 20 years. Best vehicle I had owned up to that point.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-02-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:59 PM

Yes, it sits on the passenger side fender and 4 vacuum lines connected to it. Three vacuum lines connect to the carburetor and one goes and tees into the vacuum line to the distributor. The 3 ports are still plugged on my carburetor with the factory plugs. I have the High Altitude Compensator that was on the 87 but the top port is busted off.

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 09-02-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I ran my 1984 Toyota 4 x 4 Xtra Cab up in the Colorado High Country quite a few times. I never thought about the HAC. Whatever it was doing though, the engine remained a reliable yet gutless wonder. :-)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 PM

So about this ignition switch, are they compatible? And if I am having the problems I am having with the accessory side of the switch what kind of problems could it be giving me on the ignition side of the switch? The wires that go to the other side of the steering column, are they the wires that work the 'door open' buzzer?

grey
Old 09-26-2017, 07:05 PM

I swapped out the ignition switch no problem, the one out of my 85 is stiffer and more sure in position. The one I took out is loose so very loose...

I did find something out about the High Altitude Compensater. It was not stock on my model 1987 Toyota 4x4 truck. The owners manual has the information on installing it and when they recommended installing it in the truck. BIG SURPRISE! This truck had it installed wrong! There is supposed to be a check valve between the vacuum line and the tie in of the HAC vacuum line going to the distributor. This truck did not have a check valve on the line... If anyone is interested I will post the information from my Owner's Manual about the HAC.

grey