Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1988 1-ton 2wd pickup - auto trans upgrade options

Vehicle: 1988 Toyota 2wd longbed pickup 1-ton
Engine: 22-RE
Trans: A43d
Primary Use: Hauling & Towing

So, I love this truck because, as a 1-ton, it strikes a great balance of extreme value and utility. This particular truck is in fantastic condition, has A/C and everything works. It is a great hauler but its towing capacity is certainly limited by the A43D transmission. It would make much more sense to have a 5-spd manual transmission on this type of tow vehicle, but this is what I have. Also, I have a couple family members who don't drive stick and they are able to borrow this one when needed. So, I was towing loaded 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer and burned up the transmission on a longer grade on Monday. I'm really not sure what the weight in the trailer was, but the truck bed was empty. I had just replaced the pan gasket and fluid with Schaeffer ATF, to make sure it had good lubrication for the trip. Anyway, the trans just burned up on an extended grade and it's now facing a rebuild (or re-manufacturing). I am already planning to install a trans-cooler here with the new trans.

Question 1: Instead of rebuilding the A43D, is there a trans swap (for 2wd towing) that would make sense at this time for a more severe-duty towing automatic transmission? I don't want to make big modifications...but I'm willing to buy an adapter and do minor mods.

Question 2: Do you have a shop that you recommend for a high-quality bench rebuild/remanufacture for this trans? I live in SoCal but obviously a bench rebuild allows for shipping anywhere...

Question 3: Any additional cooling upgrade suggestions?

Thanks so much for any input!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Get the very best Trans cooler you can find. the a43d is a strong transmission I have heard but you must keep it cool. Mount said Trans cooler in front of the radiator. Get a Trans temp Guage to keep an eye on temps.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
Get the very best Trans cooler you can find. the a43d is a strong transmission I have heard but you must keep it cool. Mount said Trans cooler in front of the radiator. Get a Trans temp Guage to keep an eye on temps.
Thanks, I'm certainly planning on the trans cooler and temp gauge. I'm really curious if there's anything that can be done internally during the rebuild to add strength. With my Bronco I was able to do multiple things to strengthen the trans during the rebuild, just haven't found much to do with the A43D. Are there really no upgrade options to help beef it up? How about the torque converter?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:05 PM

Hi, I have a similar truck, 1988 long bed with a lot of weight on it. I would like to get a more favorable gear ratio. I have been told the only way is to get a 1-ton rear end, not dually. Finding such a thing is difficult. Are there any other ways to lower the rear gearing?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what type 3rd member is in your trucks rear end, but it's just about certain that gears of many different ratios are available for changing to what you want.

You can determine what gears you have now by examining the build codes on your trucks ID plate, I think you'll find it in the center if the upper firewall under the hood.

Heres a couple helpful links:

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechP...ARJANUARY.html
Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 PM

The numbers on the firewall are barely readable. The plate is very scratched up.

Bought this truck used. The rear end has bits of yellow boneyard paint on it, indicating to me that it might not be original. So I am not sure what the numbers on the firewall say even matters.

I want to know if a dualie axle can be used with just one rear wheel. I also want to know if I can change out the gears in my existing differential and get to a lower ratio.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 PM

In answer to your question, gear number is F302, which means the stock ratio is 3.73. I would love it if I could get more low end power with a 4.10. Not sure its possible. 4.10s are hard to find.