86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Toyota pickup A/C Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 Toyota pickup A/C Installation

I have a 1986 toyota 4x4 with 22r. Truck came with a factory denso a/c system. I had to replace the evaporator and hook everything back up because previous owner had unhooked it. Compressor clutch works by jumping 12volts straight to it. Truck has a two barrell webber carb on it. I am going to put an idle up solneoid on it. My question is the compressor has only one wire coming from it. I have a three prong connector coming out of the harness on passenger fender. It has three wires. I crossed the switch plug in thats in the evaprator and i get current to the three prong connector. The a/c switch on the dash controls it. What do i need to do to wire the compressor up so that it will cycle on and off.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
The 22R trucks had a small harness that has a three wire connector on one end and splits into one wire connector that connects to the compressor and a two wire connector for the A/C idle up VSV.

Many people do not seem to know about this harness but I will try to find a picture of one and post it here.

Edit: Photobucket removed the only picture of the harness I saw online so here is a factory diagram of what it is supposed to look like:

The salvage yards would probably be your best bet if you want to find one. This harness has been discontinued by Toyota.

Last edited by old87yota; 07-08-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added Diagram
Old 07-09-2017, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
The 22R trucks had a small harness that has a three wire connector on one end and splits into one wire connector that connects to the compressor and a two wire connector for the A/C idle up VSV.

Many people do not seem to know about this harness but I will try to find a picture of one and post it here.

Edit: Photobucket removed the only picture of the harness I saw online so here is a factory diagram of what it is supposed to look like:

The salvage yards would probably be your best bet if you want to find one. This harness has been discontinued by Toyota.

Hey I appreciate the info. I figured there was some type of plug in like the one in the pic. One wire goes to the compressor. Could i use the other two wire to work my solneoid to make the webber carb idle up?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM

Got the compressor hooked up to the switch that turns the a/c on. Pulled vacuum everything good. My problem is that the only way the compressor kicks off is when i turn the a/c switch off. Should the compressor cycle on and off?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner
Got the compressor hooked up to the switch that turns the a/c on. Pulled vacuum everything good. My problem is that the only way the compressor kicks off is when i turn the a/c switch off. Should the compressor cycle on and off?
I don't think it cycles, I think it just runs, mine does at least
setting your fan to off should also turn it off

Sorry to hijack, but do you have any info on the seals needed? I'm looking to replace them and refill mine as well.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Rob, every single joint in your AC system has an o-ring, so first you need a kit like this: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/t...ket+kits,13290

That should include all the o-rings needed, plus the o-ring(s) under the manifold on top of the compressor. Normally you are supposed to replace your drier every time you open up the system. If your system hasn't already been converted to r134, then you need those service port adapters and new shrader valves if they don't come with them.

And then of course you have to wonder about the condition of the shaft seal and other seals inside your compressor after all these years. I changed all my o-rings a few years ago and the system worked pretty well for a little while, then it didn't. I charged it back up but it just wouldn't get very cold, I'm thinking that my compressor is probably leaking since I've never changed anything inside of it. Debating going with either a new or reman compressor versus messing with seals in mine.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Rob, every single joint in your AC system has an o-ring, so first you need a kit like this: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/t...ket+kits,13290

That should include all the o-rings needed, plus the o-ring(s) under the manifold on top of the compressor. Normally you are supposed to replace your drier every time you open up the system. If your system hasn't already been converted to r134, then you need those service port adapters and new shrader valves if they don't come with them.

And then of course you have to wonder about the condition of the shaft seal and other seals inside your compressor after all these years. I changed all my o-rings a few years ago and the system worked pretty well for a little while, then it didn't. I charged it back up but it just wouldn't get very cold, I'm thinking that my compressor is probably leaking since I've never changed anything inside of it. Debating going with either a new or reman compressor versus messing with seals in mine.
Don't you need to switch to a bigger condenser when switching to r134?
Also, I switched mine on for the first time in a year, and it actually blows cool. Not cold, but cool, so now I'm wondering if it's worth ripping into the system vs try to top it up with some R12 or R12 replacement
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added a/c to my 87 pu which was a non a/c truck. I had a parts truck that had everything i needed including the harness. Now i did purchase a denso evap core and expansion valve from rock auto, a reman denso compressor from NAPA, and new drier. Charged with R-134 it will blow out 48* on a 90* day. Just waiting for my a/c idle up vavle to show up so I can quit turning off the air at stops
Old 08-13-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ozzir70
I added a/c to my 87 pu which was a non a/c truck. I had a parts truck that had everything i needed including the harness. Now i did purchase a denso evap core and expansion valve from rock auto, a reman denso compressor from NAPA, and new drier. Charged with R-134 it will blow out 48* on a 90* day. Just waiting for my a/c idle up vavle to show up so I can quit turning off the air at stops
Was it a factory core/valve/compressor that you got?
If so, did you add the extra oils?

I've been toying with the idea of trying to find a compressor meant for r-134 that will fit and bolt it without too much trouble
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I converted my "dealer installed" AC that had R12, over to R134a

Based on the Toyota TSB - you can just use the existing compressor

http://tms.cleanautoalliance.org/documents/ac002t98.pdf

I cheated and only replaced the O rings at the firewall (I had removed the EVAP to clean the mouse nest out)
and at the Compressor

I vac'd it down for an hour or so and refilled using a gauge set.

I get 40deg out of the system

Mine is a 1898 Gen1 4Runner
The AC was always a bit undersized as it was probably a Truck one, and the 4Runner has far more interior room than a truck
I have to run the blower on full

But it seems to work well enough that the kids in back want the AC turned down/ off after the car interior comes to temp....
Old 08-14-2017, 02:10 AM

Thanks, that service bulletin is gold!!
Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it was ordered for an a/c truck. and you have to change the blower resistor as well. non a/c trucks use a different one. I can give you part numbers if you want. I started a build thread on YT. I may have some pics of it. and yes I added oil for R134
Old 08-14-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ozzir70
yes it was ordered for an a/c truck. and you have to change the blower resistor as well. non a/c trucks use a different one. I can give you part numbers if you want. I started a build thread on YT. I may have some pics of it. and yes I added oil for R134
Mine is factory ac, just making sure it wasn't a later model or anything
Thanks!