Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 Toyota 4x4, 22R

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Toyota 4x4, 22R

Hello all,

Brand new here and looking for some help/advice. I have a 1987 Toyota 4x4, 22R and it's actually my second Toyota I've owned. My first one was a '89 2x4 P/U, 22RE, stripped bare and it got me hooked on Toyotas. It was WONDERFUL and I'll continue to kick myself for ever letting it go. This new one is a plague, a cancer, a nightmare and I'll be glad when it's gone, which will be soon. In the meantime it's my commute vehicle and I need it working and working safely. Let me preface this thread with my automotive knowledge. I know 2 things about motorized vehicles:

1. Where the key goes.
2. Where the gas goes.

And that's ALL. With that said..pulling into a parking spot at work yesterday my radiator fan began to make a noise like something was caught in it. I parked, shut the engine off, opened the hood and checked the fan, nothing in it, not loose, nothing leaking underneath I could see. Got out of work later that day, started it up and didn't even notice the noise was there again at first because it was so slight. I got about 200 meters down the road and then began to hear it louder, until it just stopped. When I came to a turn in the road and went to turn the wheel...no power steering anymore. ???????????

I have no clue what to do, where to look, etc etc etc....I'm stuck. The truck is driveable, but for the 2 yrs I've owned it, until about 5:45am yesterday, I had power steering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Is there a belt on there?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Sounds like you broke a belt? See if you can find a diagram under the hood that shows where and how all the belts are located on your truck. Make sure that the one that belongs to the power steering pump is still there!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your belts! If you don't know what to look for, maybe ask a neighbor who knows something about vehicles.

This is pretty basic and doesn't mean you have a bad vehicle. Moving parts wear out and have to be replaced--it is the nature of vehicles

Not trying to be an ass, but you should look for a basic automotive class at a near by community college. Some cities have courses like this for free. Sometimes the courses are called "power-puff" automotive repair because they are designed for women who don't have any knowledge about mechanical things. Don't let this stop you from taking one! You admitted in your post that you know nothing about vehicles, so it sounds like you would learn valuable things in such a course. Do it!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Cool Thanks guys....

Yep, it was a belt. The belt on the AC broke (never worked anyway) and when it shredded, it knocked the power steering belt off it's pulleys. Fortunately found someone with tools who knew what to do and got it back on. Thanks again guys
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you should probably learn how to add oil and change out the air filter too.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 AM

ok i have an 86 yota with the 22r and had the same problem with the sound i came to find out that i had a loose pulley that runs the fan and altenator if i would rev the truck up it would go away i eventually just went and got a new tensioner bolt for the belt and new belt and havent had the problem again so my advice is to check the tension of your belts and if its loose try to tighten it!