Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 22R Cali Edition Engine Help

Old 03-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 22R Cali Edition Engine Help

Hey how yall doing? I just bought this truck. I have a issue and its got me a little stumped. I have searched here and several other sites aswell. This truck has a newer motor (25K On It) Frame has been sanded and painted. When they put the motor and the carb in they capped off alot of stuff they also removed some stuff.

1987 Cali Edition
NOT ORIGINAL MOTOR!!

I beleive I am missing (Besided A/C Heat)

2 Charcoal Canisters
1 Resonate Canister

I need help figuring out where all the vacuum hoses go and whats missing. It runs but lacks power (55MPH TOPS!!) I am sure the vacuum that is hooked up is not right either PLEASE HELP!!!! Once I get the motor running right bed, body and front clip is coming off, after that I will be pressue washing the frame, rust coating the frame, and then painting the frame. All new front end, shocks, brake and brake lines. New fuel lines and more. I just need help with getting this running right. Motor has no leaks, looks good under the little bit of oil (Good washing soon).

As far as the motor I know its a 22R (I Think). Heres some pics please help me out!!!

Last edited by dewitt88; 03-11-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

man what a mess. my FSM doesn't cover your year or i could help ya. good luck. your right you are missing those items. there on the 87's so i would think they would be on yours. i don't have a scanner, so no pics. sorry

Last edited by TORTIS; 03-11-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM

Yeah it is a mess but for what I got in it its not bad 3 Bones!!.....I just need some assistance I learn quick I just have no idea where to start. Before I get deep into body and frame work I would like to get it running right. Thanks

Last edited by dewitt88; 03-11-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

congrats you are my 1000th post. i highly recommend buying a FSM. it will pay for itself many times over, by saving money and time.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM

See ya got me...What the hell is a FSM?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:03 PM

factory service manual
Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM

LOL...Ok that makes sense.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 PM

So anybody wanna help me out and put me in the right direction? I need to know what goes where...I have some diagrams but they are not real clear.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 PM

GREEN - I AM NOT SURE IF ITS RIGHT

BLUE - I KNOW ITS RIGHT OR I KNOW WHERE IT GOES

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS!!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Wow glad to see everybody so anxious to help..
Old 03-11-2008, 05:03 PM

dude i dont know how u want us to help.... thats a huge mess, ur right, there is a butt load of stuff capped off...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Easy amigo give folks a chance... the 22R engine is not so well known as its EFI cuz the 22RE...

**I fixed the thread title to make it more specific this should help net you some more help...

You are missing several of the kali spec. emissions crap yota put on but from what I recall of my old 87 22r non-kali everything looks right from what I can see in the pics... you're missing a bunch of stuff that connects to those three lines coming off the pax side of carb. You are also missing the heat shield on the manifold/header which means there will be no where to attach the cold start augmenter thingy [forget the name] basically it is a flap on the aircleaner intake which changes the intake location from the front left corner of the bay to around the manifold, this helps bring the engine up to operating temp faster in cool/cold temps and reduces fuel consumption/emmissions.
As a previous poster noted you are also missing the charcoal canister and it also looks like the fuel return line may be capped off, this may be one reason why you are having trouble developing power the engine is basically drowning it can't send the fuel it does'nt need back to the tank, so it cant draw fuel from the tank as efficiently...

Last edited by aviator; 03-11-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Easy amigo give folks a chance... the 22R engine is not so well known as its EFI cuz the 22RE...

**I fixed the thread title to make it more specific this should help net you some more help...

You are missing several of the kali spec. emissions crap yota put on but from what I recall of my old 87 22r non-kali everything looks right from what I can see in the pics... you're missing a bunch of stuff that connects to those three lines coming off the pax side of carb. You are also missing the heat shield on the manifold/header which means there will be no where to attach the cold start augmenter thingy [forget the name] basically it is a flap on the aircleaner intake which changes the intake location from the front left corner of the bay to around the manifold, this helps bring the engine up to operating temp faster in cool/cold temps and reduces fuel consumption/emmissions.
As a previous poster noted you are also missing the charcoal canister and it also looks like the fuel return line may be capped off, this may be one reason why you are having trouble developing power the engine is basically drowning it can't send the fuel it does'nt need back to the tank, so it cant draw fuel from the tank as efficiently...

Ok that helps alot..As far as the header heatshield I am not worried about that (I live in Florida). I am trying to get the canisters now and the reasonate thing.

Can you show me which line is the return and where it hooks up at? This truck strains to go through gears, I didn't think just vacuum would cause this. I know vacuum is a factor and would cause it to run rought but not barely run.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Get an after market intake with a holly or webber carb. It costs a little money to do if you get it new. Look online for some combos. But It makes everything really, really simple and eliminates all that emissions stuff that probably doesnt work anymore anyways. Would def make it simple and get some more power
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Also, a problem that I had with mine was the idle valve on the side of the carb, you have two wires going to it, after i rebuilt the carb it still ran like crap, if you unscrew it a couple of turns and it runs better, then cut the wires and leave it backed out. those valves are expensive
Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 PM

at this point I do not know what I am going to do. I know nothing about carbs. I have always dealt with EFI. I have a EFI system for it but I don't know how hard it would be to put in and if I should. I am just getting frustrated...Even if I get the canistors and reasnate thing I don't think its going to fix my problem.

Another sympton I forgott to mention is this thing burns ALOT of gas, no smoke at all though...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM

what size tires are you running and has it been re-geared for larger tires.

please take the time to list what your truck is and hhat mods have been done to it .
from the pic it looks like you have larger than stock tires and if it has not been re-geared then you will go slow and fixing the vac lines will do nothing.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

haynes or chilton manual might help you.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 PM

If you have the efi system for it and the computers and stuff, then In the long run you will be happier. Taking the old intake and stuff off really isnt that bad. The intake I put on is much easier than the factory one.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by loacyota
If you have the efi system for it and the computers and stuff, then In the long run you will be happier. Taking the old intake and stuff off really isnt that bad. The intake I put on is much easier than the factory one.

ok for all who are asking. I drove the truck home on 31's. The tires where bad and would not hold air so I put some 36's that hold air on it and thats what you see in the pic. I have not drove it with the 36's they are just on to keep it off the dirt.

I am not sure what has been done. All I know is the guy put a newer motor in it. I don't think he changed anything else. The old motor threw a rod through the block so he saved the head and intake from it. I don't think he changed anything else...In his mind it runs great but unfortunatly I am anal about my vehicles performance and this truck has some stupid issues. If yall think I would be happier I will give it a shot changing it out.

He bought this motor with the carb on it like it sits. He then hacked up the vacuum as you can see. I believe if I get it straight it will solve the problem but I am lost with a carb, I have no experience of any sort with carbs. I am just a little frustrated because I want to fix it but I don't know where to start or how to do it.

As far as mods all I know of is the header, 3" body lift, custom s-10 seats, air horns, other than that I have no clue. I am just looking for opinions from yall and possibly some help.

Will all the emission pieces missing cause it to run as I described? A member mentioned he had the fuel return line capped? Which one is it and where does it go? I am not looking for someone to fix it just help me out. I have been working on efi since I was 13 (Im 20) this is the first carbed engine I have ever owned other than a s-10 with a 350 SB and a 650 Double pumper carb (Friend installed but he has moved away)

Thanks for any and all help.

EDIT * He also added a on rail fuel pump and a new line to the tank.

Last edited by dewitt88; 03-11-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1987 22R Cali Edition Engine Help