Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 4Runner Frame measurements?

Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 4Runner Frame measurements?

Ok so i went through a set of Moog lower control arm bushings in 1 year almost to the day. I put a new set in and had it realigned then realized something wasn't after the new bushings started tearing 5 days after my alignment. I took it to a frame shop and they said the front end was off and hit something and everything was pushed back a bit. So I had it straightened then realigned. I am contemplating putting in another set of bushing because there is a small creek from the left front bushing after it sits for a minute then move the truck around. All the work i had done has a warranty so it will just take time. I wanted to know what other people are getting for there measurement before i get another set of bushings and weld in a brace for the rear control arm mounts.

The spacing between the front and rear control arm mounts for the left and right side is 9" from the inside of the frame. I measured off the inside of the frame not the cam bolts. (I hope that makes sense)

The spacing between the front control arm mounts is 17 3/8". The factory brace is in place and I do not plan on moving it, more just for reference.
The spacing between the rear control arm bushing is 17 1/4". Not to worried about that one either.

I mainly just want to know what everyone else is getting for the measurement between the front and rear control arm mounts as this being out of alignment was the main issue causing my bushings to prematurely fail.

Thank you.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It might not be the dimensions but the fact that the quality of Moog is so poor .

You might want to look at other bushings

I drove one 4Runner($300.00 ) that was twisted in the front so bad the rear wheel had to be about 6" to the left for a few thousand miles till I got around to fixing things .

I still have the same bushings in years later.

Pictures would be a big help
Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 AM

Oh that sucks. I thought moog was a decent company. What brands would you guys recommend?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything Ive read on various places seems to indicate that they are a shadow of their former quality...

OEM bushings?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewp24
... What brands would you guys recommend?
Toyota.

Considering the amount of work needed to get in there, why not go OEM?
Ewong is right about Moog's deteriorated quality. Many people have mentioned unsatisfactory experience with Moog parts, including Alexman (Video on Youtube) where his Moog ball-joints did not last long.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's sad to hear these reports about low quality parts. When I go on a website like a rockauto.com I am amazed at how low the prices are. Perhaps the low prices are appropriate for low quality merchandise. I do notice though that you can often find parts from Japanese original equipment manufacturers like Denso, Aisin and Koyo on these websites at prices that are much lower than what you would find at the Toyota dealer.

Just as an example, I am getting ready to buy a new fuel pump for my 1993 pickup. Some of the discount online Toyota dealership parts departments want about $250 for that part (I don't even think about checking with my local Toyota dealer). Rock auto and parts geek.com are offering Denso brand pumps for around $75. For that kind of savings, I am willing to take a gamble and hope that the quality level is the same. I've had good luck with parts from NAPA and Beck Arnley that were from Japanese OEMs

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Why rubber bushings? Polly are great and free floating.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Ya looks like I am going with factory bushings.
$82.78 each from the dealer (%15 off with the right parts guy)
$70.99 each from Napa (Dinan)
$47.99 each from O'Reilly (Masterpro)
$145.99 each? from O'Reilly (Import Direct)
$77.68 a pair from amazon prime (Moog)

I like the lack of noise, the isolation from the small bumps, and over all feel from rubber bushings. I put poly bushings on my civic and i didn't mind it because it was fun to zip in just not what I'm looking for in my runner. It sees alot of freeway and dirt road miles. I am looking more for comfort at this point.

I am still looking for a measurement for reference in between the front and rear lower control arm mounts if anyone has time to check. I got 9" on both sides...

Last edited by andrewp24; 09-30-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you pressing these in and out yourself? If so I would like to see your set-up.

<BTW> Nice pictures. Good way to document your work and communicate with other forum users.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG - where is the rust?????
Old 09-19-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewp24

I like the lack of noise, the isolation from the small bumps, and over all feel from rubber bushings. I put poly bushings on my civic and i didn't mind it because it was fun to zip in just not what I'm looking for in my runner. It sees alot of freeway and dirt road miles. I am looking more for comfort at this point.
Well I do not know jack about civics, I do know that the poly bushings on these vehicles are far superior. The rubber bushings on these yotas are fused to the outer case of the bushing, hence a stiffer ride, and also transmits much more inertial energy in to the entire chassis. There is only one single minuscule downside to the poly bushings on these yotas and that is noise; however, these vehicle are so noisy already that the noise is unnoticeable unless going slow on a speed bump or gutter. If you want a smoother ride, on your yota steer clear of the rubber. Contact BlazenN8 who manufactures Blaze Land Longtravel suspension, N8 can confirm all I have stated here.

Originally Posted by ewong
Looks like a Cali vehicle or dessert that sees no snow. I have a frame in the garage that is spotless.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Are you pressing these in and out yourself? If so I would like to see your set-up.
<BTW> Nice pictures. Good way to document your work and communicate with other forum users.
Thank you. Yes I am using a Harbor Freight 20 ton press with some sockets and some cups from a ball joint press tool i rented at the local parts store. I will be doing a full write up of how I do it and link it to this thread.

It was originally from cali and now lives in phoenix.

Well I do not know jack about civics, I do know that the poly bushings on these vehicles are far superior. The rubber bushings on these yotas are fused to the outer case of the bushing, hence a stiffer ride, and also transmits much more inertial energy in to the entire chassis. There is only one single minuscule downside to the poly bushings on these yotas and that is noise; however, these vehicle are so noisy already that the noise is unnoticeable unless going slow on a speed bump or gutter. If you want a smoother ride, on your yota steer clear of the rubber. Contact BlazenN8 who manufactures Blaze Land Longtravel suspension, N8 can confirm all I have stated here.
I have his website booked marked and want to eventually do a long travel setup. I know the bushings i first removed were the factory ones with a bent frame and they looked better then the moog bushings i had in for just a year. I really did not like the noise from my civic and I do not want to listen that from my runner as it is DD right now. I appreciate the input though and will keep this in mind when i do go long travel and its not my DD.

I have a family friend who has a pristine 1988 pickup that he bought brand new and has kept it original and babied it. I asked for measurements from him and he got 9" maybe a 1/16 less on each side. So I'm happy with what i got and moving forward.

I got the factory lower control arm bushings and a new pitman arm ordered this morning.
Pitman arm part #45401-35220 List $188.89
Lower control arm bushing part #48061-35011 list $82.78

Last edited by andrewp24; 09-30-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Search this Thread