84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Wipers work on low and high speed, no intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wipers work on low and high speed, no intermittent

Ok..........you can hear the relay click but the wipers just won't move until I move the lever to low speed or high. They will park if I move the lever to off..........just needing a simple answer...............thanks, David. 84 SR5 22R
Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Something is wrong inside the wiper delay controller. It's located above the ECU in the foot well.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Like Co 94 PU mentioned it is most likely the green box that has failed. Pull off and look on the back side and see if it has a melted spot on it. A melted spot is not always the case of it failing but I suspect the box has failed.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What's the chance of getting a pic of the general location of the box.....? Thanks...
Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 84 Toyota Pickup...Wipers...Low works, High works, the wipers move when I push the washer button down; the wipers park. Everything works except the delay. I can hear the relay in the wiper control box click on and off for the wiper washer button. I bought a second wiper control box and it does the same thing. If I have the wiper arm in the delay position when turning the car on, the wipers move once and that is it. Any ideas? I was reading on past threads that there is a relay in the control box, in the arm and the motor itself.....I am not sure what to believe....Anybody got any ideas?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER
What's the chance of getting a pic of the general location of the box.....? Thanks...
and the green control box is behind the passenger kick panel behind and slightly above the computer box. difficult to get out if you have never taken it off before. Stuck on there pretty good
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You'll want to check the delay knob with a meter. I don't have a spec for this off the top of my head, its likely a resistance switch. Verify this signal reaches the delay controller. If this checks out it has to be the box.

Pull the cover off the circuit.

look for dry/leaking/bulged/burned capacitor, gaps in the solder joints, burns in the copper traces.

Burnt electronic bits have a very distinct smell, check for this also.

I don't know off hand if it is IC style timer or an R/C.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
You'll want to check the delay knob with a meter. I don't have a spec for this off the top of my head, its likely a resistance switch. Verify this signal reaches the delay controller. If this checks out it has to be the box.

Pull the cover off the circuit.

look for dry/leaking/bulged/burned capacitor, gaps in the solder joints, burns in the copper traces.

Burnt electronic bits have a very distinct smell, check for this also.

I don't know off hand if it is IC style timer or an R/C.
So just making it clear for myself...go to the arm on the tree and check the delay connection there.
Then the circuit board in the green box next.
Looking at the circuit board in the green box (i check the two i have). I dont see any burning or anything but will check again When i get home from work.
Also checking both circuit boards, the original one i had in there, the wash button did not do a thing. The replacement i got, the wash does work (need new pump tho).

Thank you for the response.