84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Where do these connectors go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do these connectors go?

I just bought this 85 4Runner and I’m trying to chase down all the gremlins so I can try to smog it. I’ve got most everything figured except these three connectors. They just hang from the intake and I can’t see a spot to put them. I have a knock sensor code and I’m hoping one of these is the culprit.
Many help is greatly appreciated thank you
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll take a stab at it.
Left to right;
knock sensor, pass side of block
IACV, under intake mani
4wd temp switch, coolant neck on top of thermostat
If that first little plug doesn't reach to the knock sensor then it could be for the gauge cluster coolant temp sensor, which is located close to the head on the intake manifold between cylinders 2&3, but I suspect knock sensor because there looks to be shielded wire wrap.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Thank you. That gives me a place to start. My coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat already has something plugged into it and my gauge works. I’ll do some digging and and see if I can make progress. Thank you for the help
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Cruzerman350
Thank you. That gives me a place to start. My coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat already has something plugged into it and my gauge works. I’ll do some digging and and see if I can make progress. Thank you for the help
Ect, engine coolant temp. This is separate from the cluster gauge. Cluster sensor is below the cold start injector, located about midway to the rear if the intake.

There are one or two sensors on the thermostat housing neither is the gauge sensor. Is what he is saying.

In my experience these Toyota have great wiring in the sense (since?) They only reach the sensors they should be attached to. Between the length of wire and the "memory" of the wire, its usually pretty obvious when you stretch them to what they can reach and how they hang.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
The center of the green plug looks like the knock sensor. The other two I'm pretty sure are not plugged in on mine, but I have all of the EGR stuff deleted
Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The small one on the left is for the oil pressure sensor

The one in the middle seems to be for the the aux. air valve

The one on the right is for the knock sensor... I hope i'm right.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 PM

Can you take a pic of the top of the valve cover and intake manifold and one from the oil filter area.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I believe maco nailed it.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the help. Haven’t had time yet to get back under the hood with work and school. I’ll dig into it today. Here Is the only other pic I have on my phone.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Everything look normal on top of the engine so, those plugs go to sensors below intake manifold.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Not my pic. i found it on google to give you an idea where thing are. The knock sensor is between the fuel filter and oil filter and the oil pressure sensor is below the oil filter.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Auxiliary Idle Air Valve.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:18 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. Just got into this a little and found my knock sensor issue (hope I don’t jinx it).

I was once told “where there’s tape, there’s trouble” and that’s the truth here. this is what I found under ten or so wraps of tape after I found the knock and started tracing the wire back
that is the center wire soldered back together and the shielding wire also soldered and wrapped around the center conductor. No insulation. I found this in two separate locations along two feet of wire. I separated the shield from conductor, little bit of tape to insulate them from each other and bam my code hasn’t popped back up.

Also, the iacv connector plugged right in, never would have found that if not for all the help.

The oil oil pressure connector is unhooked because the after market gauge is plumbed into that port so that’s all good. I’m left with just one connector that’s homeless.

Other than this guy I’ve got everything else working as it should it seems. Thanks again and let me know if someone has the answer for the green connector.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:51 PM

What a mess good luck fixing it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by maco35
What a mess good luck fixing it.
come on where’s the optimism? Haha. It’s not that bad. The knock wire was hacked up but fixed and working now. The only other questionable wiring is the previous owners clutch start safety bypass. That’s easily repaired though. I’m just crossing my fingers it passes smog. No more engine light so far though.