84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Water Pump issue?? Fan broke off shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KONASTAR
Don't be afraid to ask your mechanic what it will cost for the repairs you need on the truck now.
get numbers $.
atleast this way, you'll know what works with your budget.

By the way, thats a really good price for rebuilt.
and the extra 100 bucks gets you a cylinder head w/new parts, man what a deal!
Round-up a few of your buddies, use of a driveway or a garage, get an engine hoist, metric and power tools.
you'll have this done in a weekend!

oh.. and dont forget the beer!

Mike

That easy huh?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by votum
That easy huh?
In theory....

It's a bit of a complicated job, the first time, but I know that compared to the images that "taking out an engine" brought into my mind before I had ever done it, it really wasn't that bad. Friends help. ESPECIALLY if they've done it before, but even if they haven't, if they aren't total idiots, it's just more brains to figure stuff out when you get stumped. You just want to either take a lot of photos, or lable everything well, or both. Use a good shop manual. It can be done by a newbie, especially if you've done some other less complicated stuff. So...it's not an easy job, but it is doable. Really really good if you can find somebody who has done it before or at least has done a good amount of wrenching before. Just makes things waay easier.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 83
In theory....

It's a bit of a complicated job, the first time, but I know that compared to the images that "taking out an engine" brought into my mind before I had ever done it, it really wasn't that bad. Friends help. ESPECIALLY if they've done it before, but even if they haven't, if they aren't total idiots, it's just more brains to figure stuff out when you get stumped. You just want to either take a lot of photos, or lable everything well, or both. Use a good shop manual. It can be done by a newbie, especially if you've done some other less complicated stuff. So...it's not an easy job, but it is doable. Really really good if you can find somebody who has done it before or at least has done a good amount of wrenching before. Just makes things waay easier.
We'll said 83...

hey votum.. i did'nt say it was easy. but... you replaced that water pump & gasket yourself right?

that's a good start...

Mike

85 Toyota p/u 4X4 & matching trailer
SBC 327 (and its too damn powerful)

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

69 Kaiser jeepster Commando 4X4
(27 original miles, my daily driver)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 PM

I guess That water pump was cake, although I did have to remove quite a bit of stuff, such as my whole front end lol. Luckily summer is coming fast and I have a motorcycle and garage. Would I need any air tools or could I do it all old fashioned?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 PM

I guess That water pump was cake, although I did have to remove quite a bit of stuff, such as my whole front end lol. Luckily summer is coming fast and I have a motorcycle and garage. Would I need any air tools or could I do it all old fashioned?
If you have air tools, yes it can help the job go a little faster. the old fashion ratchet/socket and wrench is always good too.
there was this one time when the power went out and there was no compressed air, we had to hand wrench everything on the vehicles we were working on.

Mike

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

69 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 4X4
(27k original miles, my daily driver)
Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by KONASTAR
If you have air tools, yes it can help the job go a little faster. the old fashion ratchet/socket and wrench is always good too.
there was this one time when the power went out and there was no compressed air, we had to hand wrench everything on the vehicles we were working on.

Mike

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

69 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 4X4
(27k original miles, my daily driver)
votum.. seems like your leaning towards replacing the whole motor?
We'll... if and when you decide, either way you got a bunch of us here that can help walk you thru to get your truck back on the road!

Mike
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM

Yeah I am leaning far towards replacing the whole thing. I would love to do it myself, but the problem is the truck is in Quincy, and I am in Spokane, its over 1,000 to tow it, and I have no way of getting it here. I took it in to a shop in Quincy today, and the guy is pulling the head gasket off to see if the head was warped at all, I may have a motor shipped to him, he said he could drop it in for 450, it'll go faster than me doing it and overall cheaper. Trying to look at all my options, is a tow dolly going to mess my tranny up?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 AM

If you're flat towing it, disconnect the rear d-shaft. Wish I was a little closer. I'm not far from you over here in Helena, but far enough..
Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Uh oh, didn't disconnect it, only towed it a few miles though, is that bad?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Uh oh, didn't disconnect it, only towed it a few miles though, is that bad?
Nah'.. nothing else broke did it?
disconnect the rear driveshaft like 83 said & you'll be fine.

Mike
Old 03-27-2009, 05:18 AM

I guess the issue is that...well I don't remember exactly, but with the rear d-shaft spinning, you are moving t-case gears, but there are some gears in the t-case which only get oil when certain parts of the tranny are spinning. Those parts aren't spinning since you hopefully towed it in neutral, and so those gears in the t-case aren't getting lubed. I think if you're just going a few miles you're totally fine. You just don't want to pull it very far that way.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Yeah it was under 10 miles and on a dirt road, never went more than 30. It seems like a new engine is going to be closer to 2000 after labor because everyone wants the old engine back so I would have to pay to ship it somewhere which is going to add 200+ dollars to the price I am thinking of just doing the repair, with 250k on the engine, do you guys think it is better to repair or go with a new engine?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM

If you reassemble and reinstall the engine, you can do it for less than that with a rebuild kit and machine shop fees. Or find a used engine. You never know, but I'd say at 250k and a gone headgasket, it's time for a rebuild, not just a headgasket. Up to you, though.
There also aught to be someone in your area who rebuilds engines (I've seen them on the Spokane craigslist), so you wouldn't have to ship the core.

Honestly between Montana and Idaho craigslist I'll bet you can find a used engine. I feel like I've seen some lately (maybe even this week). Really just depends on your budget. You could buy a cheap used engine, then rebuild this one yourself and learn almost everything you need to know, and then it's ready in case/or whenever the used engine craps out. You could take about as much time as you wanted on the rebuild, then. All depends on what you feel up for.

When I was first going through this type thing, it all seemed really intimidating and like a serious pain in the a*# to do all the work and find all the parts, but after being kind of pushed into it, it's really not so bad, and I really enjoy both hunting for parts I need on craigslist and sites like this, and replacing stuff (even major stuff) myself.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM

OK I have the guy doing the repairs, he is going to ship off the head [no place in town to do it lol] and it will be done wednesday. I am thinking about doing a rebuild over the summer myself, as the weather should begetting nice here in spokane, and I have a motorcycle to get around on. We shall see. Buying a cheapo motor seems like a good plan also, and rebuilding that one. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 PM

OK I have the guy doing the repairs, he is going to ship off the head [no place in town to do it lol] and it will be done wednesday. I am thinking about doing a rebuild over the summer myself, as the weather should begetting nice here in spokane, and I have a motorcycle to get around on. We shall see. Buying a cheapo motor seems like a good plan also, and rebuilding that one. Thanks for the help guys!
Your welcome bud..
i'm glad to hear your finally moving forward on the truck!
i'll drink a beer to that!

And FYI... a short while ago, i did a t-chain job for this loyal customer i had for 11 years.
He had 350k clocked on his 22R & this was the third t-chain service i did for him so far.
and within that decade (i cant remember the dates), i had replaced the cylinder head once, and 2 water pumps with hoses for him also.
its still running strong!

economically, i think you made a good choice...

Mike
Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Supposed to be done on Wednesday, I will throw up some pics when I pick her up