84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

VIN Decoder

Old 10-16-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VIN Decoder

How legit is the VIN decoder here on this site? I ran a VIN and it says that my truck originally had an automatic transmission but to my knowledge it has always been a manual transmission. Also, has anyone had a dealership run a VIN from an older truck (1987)? If so, how much does the dealer charge?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Bpearson
How legit is the VIN decoder here on this site? I ran a VIN and it says that my truck originally had an automatic transmission but to my knowledge it has always been a manual transmission. Also, has anyone had a dealership run a VIN from an older truck (1987)? If so, how much does the dealer charge?
I am not sure how accurate the VIN Decoder here is.

Edit: I just ran my VIN though that VIN Decoder and I had to choose what transmission was in my truck.

When I get parts from my local dealer, they run the VIN to verify the parts I want fit my 1987 truck. In fact, they usually insist that I have my VIN so they order the correct parts.

I wouldn't think the dealer would charge anything just to verify your vehicle specifications.

Last edited by old87yota; 10-16-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Tried VIN Decoder
Old 10-16-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! The truck I have originally came with a 22RE but currently has a 22R in it. The engine in it needs rebuilt but the wiring harness for the 22RE is still in the truck. I'm thinking really hard on just ordering a new 22RE and installing it into the truck instead of rebuilding the 22R.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's your very best idea. Try LC Engineering. They have everything you need, from mild to wild. Their prices on built motors aren't that outrageous if you consider the cost of your time.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
If you have never rebuilt a motor then your time will add up. If you have gone through a 22re before it's a lot faster the 2nd time. I think their prices are very high. Top shelf quality but your also paying for the name. You can buy a complete head and get a complete rebuild kit for under a $1000. Get your crank and rods inspected first. Have the machine shop get you the size of the bearings you need to order, if you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself. Then it's just basic and tools, good torque wrenches which are great investments if your going to work on your truck. I "borrowed" a ring compression tool for the local auto parts store. It was like a $20 deposit that got refunded when I returned it. Buy, borrow, or rent a engine hoist. Not sure where you are but I would lend you mine twice. I have bought and sold them 2 times before and they only ended up costing me $25 or so after all said and done. Craigslist is a great source for hoists and engine stands. I use my hoist, cheapo HF one, for lots of stuff. Works great for picking up the end of a log to elevate it for chainsaw milling.

If space is limited and or time is limited then buying one already built is probably a good move. Price different builders. There are several 22re performance, LCE, if you have or can get a good "core" and are close to Portland ENGNBLDR does rebuilds but I believe he is busy so probably won't be a right away start time.

Just don't buy a cheap CL rebuild. Ask for references and check them if going with a unknown builder.

Search this Thread