84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

v6 caliper brake upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v6 caliper brake upgrade question

I'm getting ready to upgrade my 85 4runner brakes to the 88-95 IFS v6 truck calipers with the 80-83 FJ40/60 land cruiser vented rotors ... my question is ... after doing this will I need spacers for the front to have wheel clearance? Also, if I have the wrong years on those parts please anyone with knowledge of this please speak up before I purchase the wrong parts. I intend to to put on the FJ 80 non abs master cylinder at a later date due to financial reasons... any help on what year FJ 80 master cylinder to ask for would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good to me. I have the larger calipers on my cruiser. I used 94 non-abs 4Runner MC. I had to slightly grind down the "fins" on the calipers to clear my aftermarket wheels.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:35 PM

i didnt have a problem at all. ive got an 84 pickup axle under my 4runner and did the swap a couple weekends ago. i think you've got the years right but everything fit perfectly, no grinding or spacers needed
Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 AM

I installed my calipers on my 85 axle (sased 92 runner) and the 92 calipers were bad so I bought a new set of "ifs" calipers. They were half the size of my 92 calipers, so do some research and make sure you get the bigger ifs calipers (if thats important to you) I didnt know there was a difference but apparently around 92 the v6 trucks got bigger calipers.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 AM

I have a '92 V6 truck (stock IFS) and I found some even bigger stock calipers. I tried putting on some calipers from a '94 sr-5 V6 4Runner and they were bigger! Actually the outer half of the casting was thicker to minimize "bowing" of the caliper under hard pedal pressure. Also, the brake rotors were about 1/2" larger diameter than my '92 rotors. You could use the thicker caliper on the smaller rotor, but you'd have to find a brake pad that wouldn't extend the friction material past the edge of the rotor. Obviously you can't use the larger rotor with the older (smaller) caliper because there isn't enough clearance. The '94 brakes make a nice "stage 1" factory upgrade. My dad ended up buying the brakes from me and installed the '94 brakes on his '92 V6 truck because he runs 31" tires and I run 235's, and I also didn't have the $ to buy the rest of the parts needed (new '94 pads and rotors). His factory steel rims bolted right up without hitting anything. Originally I was only trying to replace my calipers, and ended up stumbling onto this factory upgrade for older IFS trucks.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:01 PM

I did some more research on this and found out the 4Runners and T-100's (4x4) use the same front brakes. They are larger than any of the 4x4 pickup brakes, even V6. SR-5 or DX, it doesn't matter. Basically, anyone with a 4x4 truck w/ifs (86 to 94) can do a stage 1 factory upgrade to their front brakes by using front brake rotors/calipers/pads from a 90-95 4Runner or 94(?)-98 T-100 truck, which might even be found in junkyards. Anyone else done this swap already? (My dad did.)
Old 10-01-2006, 05:58 AM

good write up guys
Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 AM

hi, i know this thread is old but would like some guidance since i have to buy calipers for such upgrade.
is there any benefits to use later 91-95 calipers with the S13WB body or the 89-91 with the S12W body (number in the castings), i am concerned about piston size, i want to largest ones

for the ones who did the conversion, how was the improvement feeling once done ?
thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
All the 88-95 V6 calipers had 4 large pistons.
Yes you will notice a difference but only if you upgrade the rest of your braking system.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by patallen
hi, i know this thread is old but would like some guidance since i have to buy calipers for such upgrade.
is there any benefits to use later 91-95 calipers with the S13WB body or the 89-91 with the S12W body (number in the castings), i am concerned about piston size, i want to largest ones

for the ones who did the conversion, how was the improvement feeling once done ?
thanks.
here's everything I did to my brakes including driving impressions etc: CLICK ME

I've been tweaking everything for the last few years and I think I finally got it all dialed in with a 15/16" master cylinder and single diaphragm brake booster with T100 calipers
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by corax
here's everything I did to my brakes including driving impressions etc: CLICK ME

I've been tweaking everything for the last few years and I think I finally got it all dialed in with a 15/16" master cylinder and single diaphragm brake booster with T100 calipers
thanks, thats awesome write-up. I am a bit concerned about the disc diameter. Mine are almost new, the vented ones on a IFS, i would like to avoid replacing them, does the V6 4runner calipers would be ok still ?

the T100 are a bit bigger ?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I remember reading that the S12 has two large diameter pistons on each side, while the s13 had one larger and one smaller piston on each side.

both have 4 pistons..
Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 AM

ok now i am even more confused, the truck now has S12 +8 calipers. am i already with the V6 calipers ?
i found the info, thanks.

S12+8 Solid rotor, staggerd pistons....
Some of the stampings are the same for solid and vented calipers, the only way to tell if it's for a vented rotor is by checking the distance between the pistons, one is obviously wider. 79-85 4x4 (solid axle) ALL pickups & 4Runner use the same caliper (solid rotor). S12+8 on the outside.

S12+8 Vented rotor with staggered pistons. 1.5" and 1.15" pistons....
86-95 4x4 (IFS) ALL models used a vented rotor. Staggered piston calipers are stamped S12+8 on the outside just as the solid rotor calipers. These are found on 4 cyl. pickups and 4 Runners.

S12W- Vented rotor with 4 larger pistons.....
Later 4x4 V6 4Runners AND pickups have the larger piston calipers. Not just the 4 runners. These have 3 fins on the outside. They are stamped S12W on the back.

Last edited by patallen; 10-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do not have the "best" ones. The difference is the calipers have a large piston and small piston on each side. The later model V6 calipers have 4 LARGE pistons. Not one large, one small... You prob have the vented rotors it sounds like. Add a 1" bore master cylinder and dual diaghram booster, and your truck will out stop most cars on the road...

Last edited by rokblok; 10-17-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
You do not have the "best" ones. The difference is the calipers have a large piston and small piston on each side. The later model V6 calipers have 4 LARGE pistons. Not one large, one small... You prob have the vented rotors it sounds like. Add a 1" bore master cylinder and dual diaghram booster, and your truck will out stop most cars on the road...
the ones i have are defenitively the stagged ones, ie, one small and one large, so i will simply upgrade for the V6 calipers then, and some better pads. I can have localy ATE pads, any comments on thoses ?

I will wait before upgrading the MC to see the feeling. From there i know what i am doing, ie, i prefer a soft pedal with more travel rather than a super stiff brick wall pedal like on my heavy modified turbo 02 (BMW). If i keep the same MC the effort on the pedal will be reduced, which is what i am looking for.
I am doing this on a budget as well, i have 6 cars in my driveway to take care of too !!

Last edited by patallen; 10-17-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Then I wouldnt worry about upgrading the calipers til you do the master booster upgrade. You wont get much benefit because you wont be able to push more fluid. It would help slightly, but not a whole bunch. I did just the master/booster upgrade and it made a world of difference. Havent done my calipers/rotors yet. Its not a "stiff" pedal, it just does more "work" with less effort. I can stop very well, if I need to, and I can also slow/stop smoother.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
Then I wouldnt worry about upgrading the calipers til you do the master booster upgrade. You wont get much benefit because you wont be able to push more fluid. It would help slightly, but not a whole bunch. I did just the master/booster upgrade and it made a world of difference. Havent done my calipers/rotors yet. Its not a "stiff" pedal, it just does more "work" with less effort. I can stop very well, if I need to, and I can also slow/stop smoother.
I just dont want to enlarge the MC, this will make the pedal effort much worse. It just goes the oposite of what i want to do.
cant afford the dual booster either so i will stick with my initial idea to just enlarge the calipers. Mc can handle the extra capacity of the calipers. its been done before.
btw all i wanted is a clarification on part #.
thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM

i went to the parts store this morning and asked about a 91 4runner MC and it ended up a cast iron one...there is a big 1 on its side...could it be possible at all they made the 1 inch bore MC not aluminimum ?

should i ask for a 92+ ?

btw, i ended up with the T-100 calipers and disks, HAWK HPS pads and the truck stops like hell. there is a bit too much pedal travel for now so i will move to a 1 inch MC.
thanks for any other details.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Thats confusing to me. You said you were only gonna do the calipers/pads. And you wanted more pedal travel so it DID NOT stop like hell as the Beemer does... And now you HAVE replaced the calipers/pads, and it stops like hell AND you still want to do the 1" master cylinder...

I'm lost here.... cause its only going to stop better with less pedal travel once you do the 1" master and bleed it all out good...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Did the exact same thing on my 86, much much better now!

Quick Reply: v6 caliper brake upgrade question