84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Transmission swap issues. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission swap issues. Need some help.

Hey all. Here's the scoop. I bought a 1985 "Frankenstein" Toyota pickup dlx xtra cab. The cab is from an 85 pickup, but the frame and axles are from a 4Runner (I am unaware of the year). Even the previous owner couldn't tell me the year. I figure it has to be close to 85 because the frame sits over the wheels and tires just about as close to stock looking as can be. Don't the newer Toyota trucks and SUVs have longer frames? I would think that those frames would stick out too far with an 85 cab on top. Anyways, my problem is that when I bought the truck it had a diesel engine and tranny in it. I am unaware of the year of the engine and tranny, although, I believe it is a 2.0. It got great mileage, but I don't want to deal with it in the winter time (I live in Ohio). The tranny I believe is a G52, but I am not certain. The 4wd shifter leans to the left and the tranny shifter leans more to the right (I know that makes a difference). I bought a nice 1985 22RE from a Yotatech member and the engine came in no time. I was told that the tranny should bolt right up, but the mechanics say that it does not. I have a few questions. First, could I just get a bellhousing for the diesel tranny and mount it up to the 22RE? What all would be involved in that if it is possible? Second, (if that first one is not an option) what other transmissions would work? I have read a little about the W56 and that it has two versions depending on which way the 4wd shifter leans (left or right) which indicates top shift or forward shift or something along those lines. If I need a W56 would I also need the transfer case (which probably comes with the tranny) and perhaps a driveshaft? I need this asap as my truck is sitting in the shop wanting desperately to get back on the road. Steer me in the right direction guys (and gals who love their Toyotas ).
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Isn't there anyone who can help me even a little bit? I have some pictures of the diesel engine that was in it if that will give someone an idea as to what tranny would have been mounted behind it. I also have a couple of pictures of the shifters (in cab) so you can see how they sit left/rightwise. I know the W56 will work, but if a G series will work as well behind a 22RE I would be interested in searching for one of those too. I just need a transmission as soon as possible.
Here is the link to my album. I would have just posted the pics on here, but they were taken with my Sony Cybershot and are roughly 4000+ by 3000+ or so. Way too big per the rules.
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/4Nmissile/

I need help fast.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Might not be of much help but I had an A340H auto connected to my 22RE. Swapping in a G52 w/ forward shift transfer case right now and everything bolts up (yes the gear shifter leans more to the right). You might have to worry about the diesel bell housing because it won't bolt up to the 22RE I think. Use a 22RE bell housing and you are fine. They are pretty interchangable from the years if I remember correctly..
Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Any help is good help Vang. Your post reminded me that I forgot to mention that my tranny is a 5 speed, as is the ECM and engine harness I just bought for the 22RE swap. I have been wondering if I have a G52 in it already. Is there anyway to tell from the outside if I have a G52 tranny? Also, if I do have a G52 then would just swapping to a 22RE bell housing get it all pretty much lined up? What I'd like to know is did they have specific transmissions that were only used with diesel engines or were all the transmissions available for those years used behind all engine types (diesel, carb, EFI)?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Gs and the Ws share the same bolt pattern bell housing to transmission. A W trans will bolt up to wherever a G trans was/is. R trans have a different bolt pattern.

Externally they are similar. And there were a couple of different G trans and 4 different W56 trans. (W56 A, B, C, & D). Marlin Crawlers website is about the best definitions you will find of the different year trucks and what trans were offered for certain years. Marlincrawler.com. Click on transmissions and look around for your applicable year. I believe it's mostly a Gas engine chart, but maybe it'll help.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks Rokblok. That does help a lot for information. The only thing I wonder is which of those would have been mounted to a diesel? Or did the 2.0 diesel have it's own transmission that was only offered behind it? Not to mention, I'm not even sure what Toyotas the 2.0 diesel actually came in. I just know it was swapped into my truck as the engine plate under my hood says 22R, but the tranny shifters come into the cab like they were made for those years (85). It doesn't look custom fitted at all from in the cab. Does anyone know if the G or W series trannies came mounted to 2.0 diesels? If I can get an answer to that question then I think I will just need to get a bell housing instead of a whole tranny, transfer case, and driveshaft.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM

I found a decent shape 1986 Toyota truck (4x4, EFI, manual) cab in a local junkyard with the tranny still in it. I told them to get me prices for the whole cab, and also for just the tranny, seats, center console, and perhaps some other parts here and there. I hope they can give me a good deal on the whole cab. It's got the 22RE (don't know if the engine is there as we could not get around to lift the hood), but the tranny was all intact. The shifters come out at different spots compared to mine though. My shifters are as follows; transfer case shifter leans towards the left and the tranny shifter leans more right. In the 86 junkyard cab the transfer case shifter leans towards the right and the tranny shifter leans more left. Is this where the whole top shift/forward shift thing comes in to play? Since mine is originally different could I pull out the entire tranny/transfer case from the junkyard truck and throw it in with my 22RE swap? The mechanic shop owner is wanting to get the truck done as quickly as possible as it's taking up one of his bays.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM

I did some research for more information and a few pictures. The G series (G52) bolt holes that mount to the tranny look identical to the holes on my diesel bell housing. The only difference is that the clutch fork (I think that is what it is called) on the diesel bell housing comes out on the driver side for the clutch line, but the fork has to come out on the passenger side for the G52 bell housing. I have seen pictures with the clutch fork removed, so I figure the fork can be rotated to the other side. Even the mechanic told me that they could be. Won't know till they attempt it though. Judging by all the things I've read and seen (info and pictures), I would say that it will be able to be moved to the other side.

Last edited by 4Nmissile; 09-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Well, my tranny is indeed a G52. The bell housing I have from a G52 mounted right up. The clutch fork was switched to the other without any issues. The bell housing I had mounted to the diesel bolted right up to the G52 as well. I have read that the diesel I have is the 2.4 liter from the 83-84 years. They must have used the G52 tranny with it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the difference between diesel and gas G52 is clutch fork is reversed? What about starter?
The following users liked this post:
OleBlue (07-29-2020)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Hey rokblok. Sorry for the delayed response. You are correct, at least for my diesel bell housing. The one I have that mates to my Toyota diesel engine has the clutch fork (and that little hump on the top of the bell housing) on the opposite side as the gas bell housings. The clutch fork can be slid over to the opposite side as well as that is what they did on mine. As for the starter, I can't remember where it was located. I now have a diesel engine, bell housing to mate up to a G52 (and probably a W56), diesel starter, diesel alternator, complete engine and cab/body harness that I will be selling soon. I also have all corresponding pieces that were under the hood that were taken off when doing my 22RE swap. It would make a nice full blown diesel swap to just sell the whole kit-n-kaboodle (everything listed above). I am not sure whether the cab/body harness is from a diesel or the original carb harness from my truck though. My truck started out being carb after all, and all the work was done before I bought it. Regardless, it all worked. I just needed a new fuel pump as the one I had bit the dirt. My truck used an external fuel pump setup, so I don't know about intank pumps for diesels. I will put up an ad sometime to sell it all though.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM

Interested in diesel parts

Hey do you still have any diesel parts? I'm looking for a bell housing and oil pan for a gas to diesel conversion. Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 03:20 PM

PM sent. I have the whole diesel engine, bell housing to mate it to either a G52 or W56 transmission, clutch and flywheel, alternator, starter, and all the wiring. Everything to just drop it in and get it running. I would prefer to sell the whole thing in a package to someone wanting to do a full conversion so I won't have parts leftover that may never sell.