84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Tailight Fuse continuously blowing after blinker conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailight Fuse continuously blowing after blinker conversion

Ok so I can't use the stock lower bumper that holds the blinkers, I bought some cheapy ones from the store that I are much smaller and flatter. It has a power wire and the blinker grounds itself out through the screw that mounts it on. So I had to cut off the original plug that had 2 wires on it, a green one which was positive and a grayish (I think) wire as the ground. After cutting the wires my tailight 15amp fuse blew. So I connected the green wire to the positive wire on the blinkers and grounded it out with the screw. I left the gray wire disconnected and taped it off. Blinkers work perfectly now but still flash incredibly fast (Like when a bulb is out and the thing goes a million flashes a second). So I've replaced the fuse and it blows everytime I turn the running lights on, so i have no taillights or side markers, or dash lights, but I do have headlights, blinkers, and brake lights when I brake. Is the issue a blown bulb somewhere or do the gray wires need to be grounded out even though the blinkers are grounded already? I figured the screw grounding out the blinkers would complete the circuit, especially since the blinkers work. This issue didn't happen until I cut the wires to hook up the new blinkers.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Tailight Fuse continuously blowing after blinker conversion-20141224_142917.jpeg  
Old 12-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
This may help....
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_turn_signal/
Old 12-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you have a short some where. probably one of the wires you cut is grounding out.

if you added LED's for your front signals an LED compatible flasher unit will slow down the blinkers
Old 12-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you separate the wires after you cut them ??
And tape them up ??

No doubt shorting where they are cut .
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 PM

Ok so I've spent the last few days going over as much as I could. The trailer harness is solid, no issues there. I've ground out the 2 wires that I left taped up, so they are solid too. I've checked every bulb and connection from blinkers, corner markers, tailights/brake lights, reverse lights, and rear blinkers/markers. One bulb on the left front marker was out, replaced it and did not solve the issue. I cannot find a single issue with the wiring anywhere. I still get very rapid blinker flashing, but the blinkers front and rear are working. I have brake lights and headlights as well. But with the fuse blown I have no tailights or any marker lights and no dash lights. I've never even messed with the dimmer switch before so I turned it down and up and removed it and all that and same result of a blown fuse as soon as I turn the running lights on.(first click of the light lever thing). What is left for me to check or figure out because I am done with this, I sold my cherokee due to electrical issues and I'd hate to have this rig plagued by the same stupid problems.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:22 AM

Red face

Just what do you mean you ground out the two wires you tapped up???
Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what do you mean you ground out the two wires you tapped up???
The 2 ground wires that used to go the original blinkers. I drilled holes and ground it down to bare metal, then screwed the grounds in to ground em out. I dont think it was necessary but i needed to try and see. The blinkers have their own ground through the screw that mounts them to the frame.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM

Red face

Must be a curse may as well plan on selling this one as well cheap.

What ever you did installing these lights caused your problem .

you have something shorted where you cut the wires.

although it is possible the tail light problem is completely unrelated to any thing you did and just bad luck.

Not sure about the 85 but most light circuit ground wires a white/ black stripe.

Time to break out the meter and figure out what is wrong.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 AM

Ok so I was informed that there a connecter under the passenger seat that goes to the rear lights. My truck leaks water ofcourse and this connector was soaked. I disconnected it and turned on the lights and my fuse did not blow. I disconnected both rear tailights and reconnected the one under the seat and it did blow the fuse. So the issue seems to be the soaked connector. How is that fixed? Just dry it out or rewire it all or what can be done to fix it?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Red face

Figure out just what is wrong !!

Unplugging just tells you the problem is to the rear of the truck .

Does the plug have physical damage like part of it is missing??about the only way it could be a problem. Fresh water is a poor conductor maybe if it was under water.

Look for damage to that harness around the tail lights

Trailer converter box??

Trailer light plug??

All places to look for the short.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Figure out just what is wrong !!

Unplugging just tells you the problem is to the rear of the truck .

Does the plug have physical damage like part of it is missing??about the only way it could be a problem. Fresh water is a poor conductor maybe if it was under water.

Look for damage to that harness around the tail lights

Trailer converter box??

Trailer light plug??

All places to look for the short.
Sitting in a half inch of water.... no damage found to any wires or plugs. All bulbs good. Literally no issues anywhere but the plug being on the floor soaked in a puddle of water.