84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Small Rust Hole in Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Rust Hole in Frame

I didn't notice this before, but I've found two holes in my frame above the rear passenger side spring mount. This is the only spot where the frame has actually rusted through, but there are a few other spots where there is rust, and I can reach into the frame and feel the flakes and pieces of rust and metal. I hit the frame and it seems solid, so I'm not to worried about that yet, but I am worried about this hole. http://www.flickr.com/photos/109250620@N03/12017591085/Is it something that I need to weld on a new piece, or is it far back enough that I could do some preventative stuff to make sure it doesn't get to worse? Here are the other rust spots. I think I'll just clean these up for now, and get new rubber plugs, but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 AM

So, it's not on the spring shackle it hanger, but the frame? That's what it looks like and I would nit query at all. I have drilled holes all over mine but if you want just fill it in with a welder and grind it off. Or if it's too big slide a small piece of metal in it and weld that, and then grind.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
So, it's not on the spring shackle it hanger, but the frame? That's what it looks like and I would nit query at all. I have drilled holes all over mine but if you want just fill it in with a welder and grind it off. Or if it's too big slide a small piece of metal in it and weld that, and then grind.
I meant that it's NOT the shackle or hanger.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Yeah it's in the frame. A shop told me that the hangers need to be replaced, but I'm not sure if they were talking about the front or the rear. I'll look into getting it welded (I don't know how, but I wish I did). I was mostly just worried about driving it and hitting a bump or something and cracking it. But it's not like I'll be offroad or anything.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JunkFanatic
Yeah it's in the frame. A shop told me that the hangers need to be replaced, but I'm not sure if they were talking about the front or the rear. I'll look into getting it welded (I don't know how, but I wish I did). I was mostly just worried about driving it and hitting a bump or something and cracking it. But it's not like I'll be offroad or anything.
well I would be very surprised if it cracked more, but just have someone look at it. It's hard to tell unless I could be there and look close. If you know someone that welds it could help
Old 01-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Okay, thanks. I'm gonna have to get some other rust repaired that is behind the cab and in the seam of the floor pan, so I'll see about getting it checked out when I do that.