84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Seat Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Swap

So the '85 4Runner I have has the factory interior seats and I like that, except for the fact that they're crap. The previous owner was a bit "large" and the front driver seat is done. I've been looking around and a junkyard seat won't cost me much but chances are I'll need a seat cover, and a decent quality one of those costs me just as much as a new seat.

Also, the back seat is pretty much shot too.

So, first question. Has anyone done a seat swap into newer 4Runner or other Toyota model seats? Any compatibility issues? Anyone swapped in an aftermarket "racing" seat? How did that work out?

Second question. Back seat ideas? I've been thinking about putting in a newer bench seat but would love to get one that has a separation in the middle so I can fit skis and snowboards in the back while carrying a third person.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you really wanna keep it toyota I believe you can swap in a set of 2nd gen 4runner seats, tercel,supra. pretty much any toyota car, you will need to do some modification to the seats but it is pretty straight forward. do a search for seat swaps is been covered many times.

if your not worryed about keeping t toyota honda civic seats and acura integra seats work, also i just heard of using scion tc seats if you lucky enough to come across a pair as it is a very new car.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks, I'll search it up.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seats from the same era/generation are a direct swap. 2nd gen 4runner/ or 3rd gen truck will fit except for one bolt. I think the 2nd gen 4runner SR5 seats are more comfortable than the 1st gen ones. As for the back seats, do this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-swap-118423/

Basically, find a wrecked 2nd gen and buy the front and rear seats and you will be in business.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned

yes I put 1994 4runner seats in my 1985. Only one bolt per seat does not line up. That is the one closest to the console in the rear on both sides. You can just drill that and put a nut and bolt if it bothers you.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 AM

I recently removed my Deluxe bench seat (85 4Runner) and bolted in a set of 86 SR5 rear seats which are the separate folding ones that you want. They bolt right in, no problem. What you will need, ideally, are the seat belts and the side panels from the donor vehicle but you can probably get by with the bench seat lap belts. I installed everything and it does make for a much nicer rear seat.

Although the 2nd gen front seats will bolt in (more or less), I'm not sure what you do about rear access on the passenger side. I know that the 4 door 4Runners do not have the flip forward, automatic sliding frame that was standard in the 2 door models. I guess you just pull the seat all the way forward and then flip the backrest forward. A bit of a pain but doable.

Last edited by Wardamneagle; 11-29-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Head north to Portland, there is 5-6 U Pull it Auto Wrecking around that you can get seats for $25 each. I would give one of them a call (just google it) to see if they have any 84-89 4Runners or other compatible in stock. They will usually say they have 'x' amount at what location..

A popular front seat swap is early '90's Acura Integra seats or Civic seats. Front mounts are close.

Also be sure to test the front passenger seat slider, the cable release for that side is notorius for breaking, working like crap and won't allow the seat to slide all the way forward for passengers to get out of the back.

If you drill for a different mount for the rear seat, watch for the gas tank...

Last edited by dropzone; 11-03-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

I put new seats in my 85. See my buildup thread.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Crazy question....has anyone swapped their passenger front seat with their passenger driver seat?

I know you'd have to swap some parts due to the levers for reclining, but is anything else swappable? Is it easy to take the seat part off the frames and just swap that way?

I got a new driver seat years ago but it's not in much better shape than my older one and my passenger SR5 original seat is in AWESOME shape...would love to swap the "soft parts" of the seats.....just curious.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Philbert
Crazy question....has anyone swapped their passenger front seat with their passenger driver seat?

s.
how can a passenger drive

the mounts are different track wise, the latch mechanism is on the wrong side i have had the mechanisms apart before, I don't see how it would work...

good luck though and make it happen
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you only need to swap the bottom, this thread may help you:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...lowout-197647/
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM

I am having a similar dilemma as well. The easiest answer, and the least expensive I could come up with was to just have it re-done an upholstery place. But then I got to thinking.. all they are going to do is just put in some new foam and fabric. Shoot I could do that. You can get seat cushion material at places like Hobby lobby or other craft stores or even another upholstery shop. Im just going to take the covers off and put in some new foam. I talked to the guy at the local upholstery place and he said that he just uses an electric carving knife to shape the foam and then Ill get the original covers reinforced so they will hold up and then throw some good covers over them to make it all look nice. Here are the covers I got. http://www.covercraft.com/seatsaver.htm. Once its done it will be like having new seats but I will have sort tailored them to what i wanted, for example you could bolster the sides more or put in more lumbar support.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had some extra time today and decided to try swapping both seats entirely. Wasn't that hard. I just created a post with TONS of photos and a step by step guide:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51376569
Old 02-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Lightbulb 95 Integra seats into a 95 pickup(pics)

Originally Posted by dropzone
Head north to Portland, there is 5-6 U Pull it Auto Wrecking around that you can get seats for $25 each. I would give one of them a call (just google it) to see if they have any 84-89 4Runners or other compatible in stock. They will usually say they have 'x' amount at what location..

A popular front seat swap is early '90's Acura Integra seats or Civic seats. Front mounts are close.

Also be sure to test the front passenger seat slider, the cable release for that side is notorius for breaking, working like crap and won't allow the seat to slide all the way forward for passengers to get out of the back.

If you drill for a different mount for the rear seat, watch for the gas tank...
Sorry in advance, I don't have enough posts to start a new thread, Rookie blues!
I found a good pair of Acura Integra seats from a 95 and swapped them into my 95 Pickup.
NO, the brackets don't line up perfectly, but with very little fabbing you can make it work, look good and feel secure. SDsurfer did a great write up on his 4runner Integra swap, and my swap was similar.
-The rear outer(doorside) bracket will need to come off both the integra and old toyota rail; this will require drilling out the rivet and the weld right next to it followed by some careful hammering/prying and cleaning up with a file. -Toyota footing came off much easier than the integra.
-line up the seats with the front outer bolted in and then line up rail with the rear outer toyota footing bolted in.
-Mark where you need to drill and use a step bit to get to your bolt size.
-Clean it up, slap some jbweld in there and then bolt it up with 1 or 2 bolts your choice, I used 1xM10 for each and its very sturdy.
-The inner rear is a bit different, I saw/read a lot of guys doing the washer stack but didn't want to do that. I found a steel spacer and a longer bolt(7/16 fine thread) and it fit perfectly with the seatbelt bracket on bottom. I'm gonna paint that next to make it look even better.
-The front inner will line up with a factory hole but it is not threaded, you'll have to figure that one out, i'll eventually do that on another weekend. This took me a day taking my sweet time. The integra seats have a plastic stay for the seatbelt you can thread the belt strap through to hold it up.
I have much more space and accessibility in my restricted reg cab and a console is in the works. Good luck
Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 AM

swap pics

Here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails Seat Swap-img_3836.jpg   Seat Swap-img_3837.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM

swap pics

Idk why these images are so large, sorry for multiple posts
Attached Thumbnails Seat Swap-img_3838.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 08:43 AM

swap pics

Attached Thumbnails Seat Swap-img_3839.jpg   Seat Swap-img_3847.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by sticksnstones
Sorry in advance, I don't have enough posts to start a new thread, Rookie blues!
yes you have enough posts to start a thread. you just can't start one in the classifieds until you reach 15 (meaningful posts)/15 days as a member